Drought for the west

Then there's the motorhead idiot arrested for starting the huge fire out of Red Lodge, MT. Riding his dirt bike on a non-motorized trail, it flooded out so he walked it, then dropped it spilling fuel all over the ground, which ignited and started that devastating fire. Fearing for his worthless life, he fled the scene!

In east/central NM part of our county is dry and there's a part of it that is beautiful green. Sadly the beautiful green part isn't much of the county but at least its the part that I have a archery antelope tag for. We got a nice little rain Thursday and are supposed to get some more rain over the next few days it looks like.

It sounds like Bill Gates venture to spray dust into the atmosphere to block the sun is becoming a better idea.
He wants to develop sun-dimming technology that would potentially reflect sunlight out of Earth’s atmosphere, triggering a global cooling effect. The Stratospheric Controlled Perturbation Experiment (SCoPEx), launched by Harvard University scientists, aims to examine this solution by spraying non-toxic calcium carbonate (CaCO3) dust into the atmosphere — a sun-reflecting aerosol that may offset the effects of global warming. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/12/geoengineers-inch-closer-sun-dimming-balloon-test

In the 70's we were concerned with cooling.

In other words, we have no clue what is going to happen and generally have no way to change the course.

And...

Climate changes and always will.

Yesterday hit couple spots of rain in beartooths (didnt see any smoke from 2 fires) so thats a good sign and todays forecast called for breezy but sunny, woke up to good 30 minutes of rain. Everyone could use some moisture it seems and every little drop helps. I am concerened by how fast we lost our snow pack....

In other words, we have no clue what is going to happen and generally have no way to change the course.
Science would suggest otherwise. We actually have changed it (in a negative way), and do have the ability to reverse that change or at a minimum slow it down. What we lack, for the most part, is not the ability, but the collective will to do it.

Science would suggest otherwise. We actually have changed it (in a negative way), and do have the ability to reverse that change or at a minimum slow it down. What we lack, for the most part, is not the ability, but the collective will to do it.
Yes, and it's borne out in that saying from another recent thread on HT, "Science and technology will never overcome bullshit and superstition."

It’s cooler this week in southern Arizona where I javelina hunt than it is at my house in Idaho. Lame!

The Rocky Mountains in CO have received a decent amount of rain this past weekend. Wet and cool. Hopefully it will keep the fires away for a bit.
The pics are from the steamboat springs area.

Attachments

• FAFC164B-4B45-43C1-8146-0B3870BDBC1A.jpeg
    FAFC164B-4B45-43C1-8146-0B3870BDBC1A.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 4B13127C-520F-4988-885B-3D54349892E6.jpeg
    4B13127C-520F-4988-885B-3D54349892E6.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 18
  • 88251569-1795-4BDF-B942-57ED11DEBD32.jpeg
    88251569-1795-4BDF-B942-57ED11DEBD32.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 18
1624978588877.png

"The Creek", which my family takes a dip in a few times a week, is running at 25% its typical average for this date. Everything is low, and we got two weeks of temps in the 90s up and coming.

In 3 of the 5 past years, we never once broke 100°. We have already done that. The good news is my neighbors were launching off rockets yesterday - in preparation for next weekend I guess, and range behind our homes is dry as dirt.

Last edited:
Fire restrictions in effect - no open fires - in the Beartooth Ranger district already and it isnt even July. Most of the surrounding counties are now in fire restrictions, as well - Carbon, Stillwater, Park, probably others. Hoot owl closures are already starting as of yesterday and a few rivers have large portions closed entirely.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back