Caribou Gear

Drought for the west

I am watching a fire in a remote area in idaho i know well. I am a little torn about it and i am kind of hopeful it continues growth for a few days. I can only think of less than 5 homes within few miles of it but a couple mines. The area could use a burn and restart since is almost inaccessible from deadfall and short pine from a fire 20ish years ago, some areas are so thick our group refers to it as "the deadzone" as we NEVER see any animals in or around it, not even deer. The hunter in me is thinking this could be great benefit to ecosytem and animal habitat but in back of my head i always worry it grows to big and just eats uncontrolled till fall as this area is limited to mostly aviation fighting fire. Is it wrong and maybe little selfish to hope fire consumes more for the long term benefit of the region?

I am watching a fire in a remote area in idaho i know well. I am a little torn about it and i am kind of hopeful it continues growth for a few days. I can only think of less than 5 homes within few miles of it but a couple mines. The area could use a burn and restart since is almost inaccessible from deadfall and short pine from a fire 20ish years ago, some areas are so thick our group refers to it as "the deadzone" as we NEVER see any animals in or around it, not even deer. The hunter in me is thinking this could be great benefit to ecosytem and animal habitat but in back of my head i always worry it grows to big and just eats uncontrolled till fall as this area is limited to mostly aviation fighting fire. Is it wrong and maybe little selfish to hope fire consumes more for the long term benefit of the region?
I dont think its wrong. Burns are a natural thing.

Not wrong. After seventy plus years of fire suppression there isn't too many places out west that wouldn't benefit from a good fire. The issue is when it blows up and burns up peoples houses.

Feels like there is a new one of these every week:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/fishing/drought-conditions-killing-trout-dolores-river/ (The Dolores below McPhee actually measured 0cfs last week at one point)

https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news...ght-tied-to-colorados-natural-river-features/: Recreational Water Rights discussion

D9025470-520D-4707-9371-97BFA74D8F59.jpeg
Incredibly normal on the east coast. Sorry it’s such a mess out there as I have a couple of tags and will be heading that way this fall.

Same shit, different day. High pressure, hot, absolutely no moisture in sight. The extended drought outlooks for the west look pretty damn grim from the northern Rockies, inland Northwest all the way to the south west.

217BC302-CDC5-4DB8-9789-62DD631594AF.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of the timber lands around me are closing, fairly large FS closure due to a fire. If something doesn’t change may make for some limited land for archery season

Lots of the timber lands around me are closing, fairly large FS closure due to a fire. If something doesn’t change may make for some limited land for archery season
Yeah, I can see some fairly severe access issues looming on the horizon for any September hunters.

In the 70's we were concerned with cooling.

In other words, we have no clue what is going to happen and generally have no way to change the course.

And...

Climate changes and always will.
So, I'm just going to take a big leap here and guess, your also antivaxxer, and the January 6 insurrection was a love fest? Just throwing that out there. I really mean no disrespect, just doing some research.

Is the current fire actually consuming deadfall and leaving everything clear?

So, I'm just going to take a big leap here and guess, your also antivaxxer, and the January 6 insurrection was a love fest? Just throwing that out there. I really mean no disrespect, just doing some research.

Anti-vaxer? No. That being said, I haven't gotten my covid shot due to some concerns I have about experimental treatments. I am still trying to learn more on that. Up to date on everything else though. Thanks for asking.

January 6 insurrection? A bunch of idiots dressed up like Spartans to invade congress? I don't agree with it what happened, but I also don't believe Trump was solely responsible for the incident.

I am not sure where looking up something to verify what my mother in law recalled from her younger days, and comparing that to what it would be like today of it went through makes me a wack job.

I have seen climate change in my short 38 years. I am not convinced it's entirely due to human intervention. I am also not convinced it's just the earth being earth. It has changed long before I got here and will continue long after I'm gone.

All I can do is do the best I can to be a steward for the environment and pass that passion along to my kids.

Anti-vaxer? No. That being said, I haven't gotten my covid shot due to some concerns I have about experimental treatments. I am still trying to learn more on that. Up to date on everything else though. Thanks for asking.

January 6 insurrection? A bunch of idiots dressed up like Spartans to invade congress? I don't agree with it what happened, but I also don't believe Trump was solely responsible for the incident.

I am not sure where looking up something to verify what my mother in law recalled from her younger days, and comparing that to what it would be like today of it went through makes me a wack job.

I have seen climate change in my short 38 years. I am not convinced it's entirely due to human intervention. I am also not convinced it's just the earth being earth. It has changed long before I got here and will continue long after I'm gone.

All I can do is do the best I can to be a steward for the environment and pass that passion along to my kids.
Thanks, I'll add your comments to my research files. BTW just a suggestion, get the Pfizer.

Third paragraph on your reply is confusing me.

The fourth, 38 years is a short span. Your gonna love the next 30 and at that point I'd love to interview your conclusions then doubt I'll be here though.

Your kids might be screwed. My kids and Grandkids too!

Here: Earth Temp Timeline

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back