Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Drought for the west

In Montana a month ago we had a fire fighting helicopter crash. Last week, two volunteers got burned over -one seriously injured. And yesterday, five federal firefighters were burned over. Other small incidents have occurred as well.

All bad, some more tragic than others, all of them potentially much more so than they were. Seems like we are dancing a little too close to disaster, and there's a very real possibility that the song just started.

1627055475833.png

Last edited:
Plenty o cash & for fuel for some. Talks of fuel shortage for the tankers now. It has not even started yet this year.

Another huge chunk of private forest closed near me today. If archery season started now people would be very restricted for access where I live

Just seen yellowstone has shut down fishing after 2pm due to unprecedented low stream flows and rising temps. I know its doubtful but hope we get some meaniful rain in next few weeks throughout the west.

In Montana a month ago we had a fire fighting helicopter crash. Last week, two volunteers got burned over -one seriously injured. And yesterday, five federal firefighters were burned over. Other small incidents have occurred as well.

All bad, some more tragic than others, all of them potentially much more so than they were. Seems like we are dancing a little too close to disaster, and there's a very real possibility that the song just started.

View attachment 189193
Sickening anticipation. Afraid 3 of them may be colleagues of mine, but waiting for confirmation.

Please be safe out there everyone.

The noteworthy difference between the previous low in 2005 and the new record low this year is that the 2005 low came right before the runoff spike. No spike this year.

49DF897A-6CDC-44FF-B3FD-82F6FC62889D.png

Can few pics from the Bootleg fire after the firenado went through. Uprooted trees, stripped the topsoil, guess it even pulled the asphalt off the road in a few areas. If you haven’t been on the ground when one of these events forms let me tell you the southbound end of ya will pucker in a heartbeat. 🔥🔥 makes you feel pretty damn insignificant with a Pulaski and a shake-n-bake to fend things off.
3C42210E-8D7B-4766-9BE0-2E7A4CF97FE9.jpegEF6293CE-2091-47C6-89D5-58841F37ED49.jpeg85A0EDFA-F28F-4676-AE85-83BF31EE368C.jpeg

Anybody know which direction the Trail Creek fire West of Wisdom is moving? Any chance 93 will be closed anytime soon?

Anybody know which direction the Trail Creek fire West of Wisdom is moving? Any chance 93 will be closed anytime soon?
As can be seen by the MODIS and VIIRS, it's burning in every direction. Later in the week there are some ESE winds forecast, but I think it would take something big to push it to 93. That said there isn't much physically to stop it from doing so.

1627320754257.png

I’m surprised how little growth some of the north central idaho backcountry fires have had. Unbelievably dry, little to no fire suppression on them and yet they’re just kinda sputtering along. Maybe we never will have great elk herds here again

I’m amazed how there hasn’t been a big wind event for many of those fires. There have been a couple that went from a few thousand acres to 20k in a day due to wind.

The Larkins and the Stateline complexes are like a ticking time bomb.

Today is the smokiest I've ever seen it in the Madison Valley. I'm usually not affected by the smoke, but I'm feeling it today. I'm so glad we put A/C in our new house. It would be miserable to have to open the windows every night.

Living just 100 miles north of Yellowstone NP, I've been going to the Park at least 2 or more times for the past 40+ years. Last Thursday I took my Sister and Niece through the Park. One of our stops was at Norris geyser basin. We walked down past Steamboat geyser and down around the south basin. I have never seen it that dry!

Almost all of the hot pools were 3 to 10 or more feet below their normal level. Most of the pools did not have any water running out of them. The overall basin looked like a big dry alkali flat. It wasn't worth the walk around it.
I took my girlfriend to the park for her first time last week and was constantly having to say "there's usually more going on there." while in the geyser basin.

Back