Drought for the west

I'd bet that most of their claims are horseshit.
1. I bet you need one of the barrels at the start of every row
2. Very little if any flow control
3. No ability to remotely control flows
4. You probably have to replace the entire distribution line when it does plug up with sediment.

We work with a ton of drip irrigators for both berries and grapes and no one is relying on filterless gravity drip. Is it better than flood? Sure, but that's like the least efficient form of irrigation.
I'm skeptical about every new mouse trap that comes along. Definitely would want to research it completely before investing in it.

No snow pack in the Gila, again. Been getting light snows still, but the inch this morning is almost gone on a bright 30 deg day. Was negative dew point last week. 10% humidity now.

Much of southwest MT is now below 80% SWE. Not good. Everything save NW MT and the ID panhandle looks dire. Eastern Oregon is below 70% with a few drainages below 60% SWE.

Burn, baby, burn. :(

Lake Powell will drop below its target minimum elevation of 3,525' above sea level today. The penstocks are at 3,470', and BOR engineers believe they need 20' minimum above that to avoid cavitation. Last year on March 15 the elevation was about 3,569', so it has lost about 44'. The reservoir will get a modest spring runoff bump in a few weeks, but the forecast is for it to be 69% of average.

It's going to be interesting to see how they manage this shortfall and the impacts upstream (Flaming Gorge, Blue Mesa, Navajo, etc.). Example: Blue Mesa is currently nearly 30' lower than it was one year ago, and is at 29% of full pool. It will continue to drop before the runoff bump. Last year the runoff bump in June did not bring it back up to its March 15 elevation.

Lake Powell will drop below its target minimum elevation of 3,525' above sea level today. The penstocks are at 3,470', and BOR engineers believe they need 20' minimum above that to avoid cavitation. Last year on March 15 the elevation was about 3,569', so it has lost about 44'. The reservoir will get a modest spring runoff bump in a few weeks, but the forecast is for it to be 69% of average.

It's going to be interesting to see how they manage this shortfall and the impacts upstream (Flaming Gorge, Blue Mesa, Navajo, etc.). Example: Blue Mesa is currently nearly 30' lower than it was one year ago, and is at 29% of full pool. It will continue to drop before the runoff bump. Last year the runoff bump in June did not bring it back up to its March 15 elevation.

I may live to see Glenn Canyon yet.

Gila is 30% of normal. Mimbres is 2% of normal. Jemez is 50% of normal. Pecos ,56%.
Close or slightly higher along the CO border mtns.
Hoping for decent monsoons in NM.

Flaming gorge was lowest i have seen it for ice season, i believe the next month or so will be critical. Locally i can walk to the top of ridges i usually cant get on till sometime in may.

Reactions: Oak
It's going to be interesting to see how they manage this shortfall and the impacts upstream (Flaming Gorge, Blue Mesa, Navajo, etc.). Example: Blue Mesa is currently nearly 30' lower than it was one year ago, and is at 29% of full pool.

And here you go.

“We’re trying to figure out what we’re going to do; we might not even be able to open this season,” said Eric Loken, head of operations at Blue Mesa’s Elk Creek Marina, which his family has operated for more than 30 years. “The current forecast is — if we’re lucky we might have a two-and-a-half-month season.”

Well, we received enough rain to leave a few drops on my shop windows. Not enought to wet the dirt. Letdown...

For a supposedly intelligent species, we sure are complacent about our human habitat, let alone habitat for the Earth's other species. We seem to speak up loudly when fuel prices jumps a bit, demanding politicians do something. But as a species we remain complacent about climate change, apparently hoping we outlive the most dire consequences. Our kids and grandkids will be wondering why this generation didn't demand change and make a few sacrifices for them and all the other species headed toward extinction.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back