Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Drought for the west

For a supposedly intelligent species, we sure are complacent about our human habitat, let alone habitat for the Earth's other species. We seem to speak up loudly when fuel prices jumps a bit, demanding politicians do something. But as a species we remain complacent about climate change, apparently hoping we outlive the most dire consequences. Our kids and grandkids will be wondering why this generation didn't demand change and make a few sacrifices for them and all the other species headed toward extinction.
Granted, a lot more we can do to avoid environmental damage, but we are at the tail end of an ice age... and ice does melt.

Nrcs says the Rogue watershed is at 63% of median snow water equivalent. That's sort of skewed by the higher elevation areas around Crater Lake.

The lakes mentioned in that article supply a large portion of the Rogue Valley irrigation water, and the snowpack there is in significantly worse shape.

Last year we had enough water to get one irrigation on the pears at the research station, and a few more on the grapes. This year we're just hoping to keep the newly planted vines alive.

I'd bet that most of their claims are horseshit.
1. I bet you need one of the barrels at the start of every row
2. Very little if any flow control
3. No ability to remotely control flows
4. You probably have to replace the entire distribution line when it does plug up with sediment.

We work with a ton of drip irrigators for both berries and grapes and no one is relying on filterless gravity drip. Is it better than flood? Sure, but that's like the least efficient form of irrigation.
N drip scaling up with a big money Corp. See how this phase goes in their development process.

IPPS still killing pinions here. Single trees & small groups. I've lost another dozen this year.
Only good thing is the number of young pinion that have come up since I moved here and they seem less affected . 20 years into this drought and maybe they don't feel it yet being only 10 or less.

On a good note the snows we have gotten this spring have soaked in good and I finally am seeing some green under the brown. Had 2 inches yesterday and it's almost dry now.

It looks like most of the mountain west is near average snowpack. Colorado looks the most consistently damp, but most drainages in most states are in the green as of today.

Jeez. Now NOAA has spring summer forecast for NM online. Talk of potential 3rd year of La Nina. Not good.

The Colorado River’s confounding math problem

This brings us to another number for this Colorado River Basin math problem: 11 million acre-feet.

That’s the number cited last week at a University of Utah conference about future flows of the Colorado River. “The best climate scientists in the world say we will be lucky to have 11 million acre-feet,” said John Entsminger, general manager of the Southern Nevada Water Authority, the agency serving Las Vegas.

How low can the Colorado River go? Drought forces states to face tough choices about water

While the water experts who gathered in the S. J. Quinney College of Law’s moot courtroom know they must plan on less water, some aren’t ready to publicly commit to a number that will alarm water users back home. Arizona Department of Water Resources Director Tom Buschatzke, for instance, needs legislative approval for any deal he might make.

“I won’t say 11,” Buschatzke quipped from the symposium stage, “because I might get arrested when I get off the plane in Phoenix tonight.”

The Colorado River’s confounding math problem

This brings us to another number for this Colorado River Basin math problem: 11 million acre-feet.

That’s the number cited last week at a University of Utah conference about future flows of the Colorado River. “The best climate scientists in the world say we will be lucky to have 11 million acre-feet,” said John Entsminger, general manager of the Southern Nevada Water Authority, the agency serving Las Vegas.

How low can the Colorado River go? Drought forces states to face tough choices about water

While the water experts who gathered in the S. J. Quinney College of Law’s moot courtroom know they must plan on less water, some aren’t ready to publicly commit to a number that will alarm water users back home. Arizona Department of Water Resources Director Tom Buschatzke, for instance, needs legislative approval for any deal he might make.

“I won’t say 11,” Buschatzke quipped from the symposium stage, “because I might get arrested when I get off the plane in Phoenix tonight.”
That first link is very interesting. That’s the first that I’ve heard that they may have overestimated the yearly runoff when they built the dams.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back