MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Drought for the west

5 deg & clear this morning. Only had a couple dustings of snow so far this year & one hell of a wind storm,which dried it out again.
Bet I could drive all the way around in the Gila there's so little snow.

Hope next weeks forecast comes to fruition.

Kinda worried about a drought in the east, at least here in Ontario. I can't remember a time when its 60 degrees in December

News this morning reported the moisture/snow is 50-60% of normal in the Gila & San Fransisco Mtns.

Our southern Utah cabin (8,500 ft.) received almost 2' earlier this week. First decent snow this year. Forecast calls for a bit more next week too. Hope so.

Here in Las Vegas, we got about a 1/4 " of rain a few days ago. Not a big surprise. We average 4" a year.

^^last few years most every time they’ve called for a few days of snow in the extended forecast they’ll change it to rain by the day of… then that doesn’t happen either. Been a dry couple of years of late

It’s supposed to be a La Niña year, which generally brings colder & wetter conditions to the northwest. I’m hoping that’s true, as the wildfires in the summer really ruin most outdoor recreation state wide. I’ve read good snow reports from the ski areas from the last few days, so that’s promising.

It'll be interesting that in WA we may set all-time records highs and lows in the same year. One of the things I've gleaned from reading Mr. Mass over the years is that he's constantly harping that unusual high temps are not results of climate change, but are merely results of variations in weather and our limited data set for evaluating extremes (~100 yrs). It's the change in long term avgs that points to climate change. I think this cold wave is a good example. We're simply seeing an extreme weather event. Climate change does just turn off and on, it's still happening, but what we see on any day is called weather.

1640280474534.png

Back