Drop Camp/ Semi-guided Advice

Flatlander14

Looking to find a good outfitter to do a drop camp or semi-guided hunt, hopefully for next season. Some of my buddies are intimidated to do a complete DIY hunt, I also am trying to get my Dad (70 years old) his first elk so any help I can get is a plus. I have done a good number of research and have spoken to outfitters and references to try and narrow the field down, just looking to see if anyone has any past experiences they could share.

We all have 3 points each in Wyoming and Colorado. I think we may try to get tags in New Mexico first, Wyoming second and Colorado 3rd. Muzzleloader and rifle seasons, no archery unless it is Wyoming as my dad can no longer hunt with a compound. Trophy quality is not a factor for us, just a quality hunt with some animals and hopefully not to much competition from other hunters. Thanks in advance.

Looking to find a good outfitter to do a drop camp or semi-guided hunt, hopefully for next season. Some of my buddies are intimidated to do a complete DIY hunt, I also am trying to get my Dad (70 years old) his first elk so any help I can get is a plus. I have done a good number of research and have spoken to outfitters and references to try and narrow the field down, just looking to see if anyone has any past experiences they could share.

We all have 3 points each in Wyoming and Colorado. I think we may try to get tags in New Mexico first, Wyoming second and Colorado 3rd. Muzzleloader and rifle seasons, no archery unless it is Wyoming as my dad can no longer hunt with a compound. Trophy quality is not a factor for us, just a quality hunt with some animals and hopefully not to much competition from other hunters. Thanks in advance.

check out cache creek outfitters in Colorado they have reasonable prices for drop camp semi guided hunts and they hunt in the white river national forest in unit 42. One of their guides is a co-worker’s military buddy and I will be using them in the next couple of years.

Outfitters are assigned areas so you can figure out where you want to hunt and then look up the outfitter for that area.

The draw deadline for CO is before or close to NM Results come out so CO OTC sounds like your third option. IF weather in the high country worries you maybe look at Muzzleloader for your dad. But be realistic about Altitude. The same is true in NM.

Three points in Wyoming would get you a General Elk tag which gives you the most options. There are General areas that are open while bulls are still bugling.

Many NM Guides will do a drop camp/ 2 day guided deal to apply in the guide draw. My issue there is my 1st choice and 3rd choice are different areas...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back