Drew MT 621 rifle tag could use some advice

king13

So I drew the 621 rifle tag in Montana. This is my first bull permit and could use some tips for the area. My plan is to spend as much time going out on points and glassing. I’m gonna spend opening week hunting by myself if I have to but i hope to have help more eyes don’t hurt when glassing. Unfortunately with my job I may not be able to go scout on a weekend before the season. If you can offer some advice I would appreciate it. Iv been looking on onX at areas to maybe focus on.

Good luck on your tag. I’m not familiar with the area but a tag in the pocket is never a bad thing to have. Pick some areas that look good and go hunt.

I have not had that tag. One thing to keep in mind is the current drought conditions and how limited or concentrated feed and water will dictate where elk will prefer to live. Enjoy the hunt!

Here is a link to the current drought monitor for MT:

My advice would be to scout a couple days before opener. Find a bull and try to kill him opening day. If not, hunt the next day, and if you don't kill go home. Go back the week before or week of Thanksgiving. Most of the cow hunters will be gone and those elk are way less pressured. If you stay the first week, dig into the nastiest shit you can find. mtmuley

Good luck on your hunt. Post a pic of a huge bull when your done! You hunt hard enough you’ll shoot one!

I have lived and hunted in district 621 for over 50 years. As mentioned by others this district gets a lot of archery and rifle pressure and 350 bulls are few and far between. Feel free to private message me and I will give you some general advice minus any honey holes.

Feel free to call for free advice on where/when to hunt. My phone number is 14066487494
I grew up hunting there, and generally get a handful of calls annually asking for me to guide. My response is, “you don’t need to pay me, it’s not that tough an area to hunt. Here’s where I’d go and what I’d do”

Still find it laughable? @DougStickney & eyjonas?

Enjoy the hunt for what it is (a fun area to hunt with a high chance for success). This is not a trophy unit. But there are some big bulls in every unit, so there’s always a chance. During cow hunts I’ve been on there, I’ve found that the bulls there tend to expose themselves enough pretty often and can be glassed up throughout the day if you do a lot of hiking and glassing. Numbers of elk and bull quality are significantly down from a decade ago, so just have fun with the hunt with realistic expectations.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back