Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Drew 44 deer

smitty

Hey guys I was on here a long time ago when moosie first started this forum. After getting a great career and starting a family I have been slowly getting back into the hunting game. I was fortunate to be able to draw the 44 deer tag this year. I also drew a elk tag for mid oct in a different unit, must have been lucky year. Because of the two tags I am gonna have to try to fill the deer tag before Oct 15. Is there any places that you guys can recommend to start looking? Any help would be much appreciated.

smitty

I never tire of first posts asking for help...get a foundation built first, a little about yourself at least.

+1

Guys always make time for a forum when they draw a tag, but the other 11 months of the year when others need help, they are MIA. Convenient...

I am guessing he is in Idaho, but I have not had a chance to hunt zone 44 yet. Welcome back and may your tag drawing success continue on through your hunting season.

+1

Guys always make time for a forum when they draw a tag, but the other 11 months of the year when others need help, they are MIA. Convenient...

+1 I'm pretty well not giving any advice on any website where this happens from now on and many feel the same way where it's just come on, take away, and no give back!

I never tire of first posts asking for help...get a foundation built first, a little about yourself at least.

Well hate to say it, boys...........but smitty was on this board LONG before most of you posting here now....in fact I believe he was here before I got here.

Welcome back smitty.....wish I knew something about your unit, but I'm sure some of the older members who know you may pm you some info.

Scout hard and harvest in the first week.

Yup....this! Never had the tag, but have talked with guys that have. If the season is the same as it has been the last couple of years, my understanding is that you are far better off getting a good buck before October rolls around. Once the calendar turns to October the pressure from all of the doe and elk hunters pushes the bucks on to private and into the next township.

It's a good unit has lots of private ground... later would be better but it is still a good tag to have

From what I have heard you want to hunt early because as soon as it snows the deer head across the highway into 45. Now take this for what its worth cause I've never actually held this tag just hearsay really. Good luck and have fun.

Welcome,Smitty!

Hey guys I was on here a long time ago when moosie first started this forum. After getting a great career and starting a family I have been slowly getting back into the hunting game. I was fortunate to be able to draw the 44 deer tag this year. I also drew a elk tag for mid oct in a different unit, must have been lucky year. Because of the two tags I am gonna have to try to fill the deer tag before Oct 15. Is there any places that you guys can recommend to start looking? Any help would be much appreciated.

smitty

Sorry about the lack of info guys. I tried several times to get my old login back, but never heard back from the administrators, frankly I can't even remember what email I was using back then. I do understand the reluctance to help someone when they are asking for help on their first post so no worries if you dont want share any info. Thanks for the help

Well after much searching I found my old user name on some old posts way down on the page list. The password was a little more difficult but some how I managed to remember.

Have a buck picked out to shoot opening day ideally, or as early as possible. A friend of a friend had the tag last year. Don't worry about private land in that unit, it's a non issue. Those deer migrate early and they give out too many tags in that unit. Lots and lots of competition from other serious guys. Scout scout scout and take the first week off to hunt. 2 very good bucks came out of that unit that I know of last year, but don't everybody go put in for it because that's out of 225 tag holders... So anything better than 165-170 is still not a layup.

All good advice from what I know (I haven't pulled anything but an unlimited tag in years and never 44) I do spend time in that unit and with the winters we have had don't rule out the higher elevations early on.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back