Dreams Can Come True

08/26:

We arrived in Tok late last night and quickly went to bed in anticipation of the fly out the following morning. After a delicious breakfast at Fast Eddy’s, our gear was weighed and I was told to get ready as I would be flying out in a supercub.

EBC7A66E-2F11-4CE9-A826-5B06D299F0A6.jpeg

The flight over the Alaskan bush was stunning.

4914EB03-6443-447A-AABA-EAD85DA6453C.jpeg
As we flew over the expanse of seemingly endless wilderness, I was humbled by the incredible beauty of this untouched land.

8281DD29-9492-4634-8BF8-6C67F1B8DAF1.jpeg

We arrived at the drop off point and the adventure started to become more real. Knowing that, once the plane left, it wasn’t coming back for some time. First priority was to set up camp and check the surrounding area for caribou.

A15598D8-2646-4689-8A99-2E43D533E666.jpeg

It didn’t take long to find some caribou - within no time, caribou were spotted on nearly every ridgeline surrounding camp.

E25E1AE7-B972-4D21-9BCB-27940FCC4A3C.jpeg

Last edited:
08/27:

Today was our first day hunting, and it proved to be a day long awaited for. After watching plenty of caribou move across an upper bench area the day before, we planned to hike up a stream bed in an adjacent bowl and position ourselves to intercept the caribou as they moved through.

EB1A7334-D620-4B9A-84F1-D96F6E46EBBD.jpeg

We stopped a few times on the way up to take pictures and scan the area for more caribou.

3B4B0894-56B6-4E54-B057-DAAF390D5716.jpeg

Once we reached the top of the stream bed, we were immediately within 200 yards of a herd of caribou with a decent bull in the group. We decided to pass on this bull and hunker down behind a small knoll and wait for more caribou to pass by.

93D9C097-AB4B-4BC9-AD59-3FA470AAE4BB.jpeg

Within minutes of settling in, a group of bulls were spotted on the skyline above my head in the above pic. The bulls were bedded and we could only see the tops of their antlers move periodically. Finally, the bulls decided it was time to continue on their migration and started down toward us. 400, 300, 200 yards - they kept feeding our way. I picked out the bull I wanted to shoot as soon as he came over the ridge and it was awesome to watch the bulls slowly descend down the hill. My bull was now less than 90 yards away, and feeding directly to me. The moment was surreal, looking at the bull in my scope … I’d thought about this hunt and this moment for hours since booking my air taxi. As the bull slowly turned to the left, I settled the crosshairs on his neck and pulled the trigger. The 140 grain Accubond hit its mark and the bull dropped in his tracks. Walking up on the bull was something I’ll never forget.

B2604568-5E72-4A0D-8FDB-48C5BC82D80A.jpeg

08/27:

Today was our first day hunting, and it proved to be a day long awaited for. After watching plenty of caribou move across an upper bench area the day before, we planned to hike up a stream bed in an adjacent bowl and position ourselves to intercept the caribou as they moved through.

View attachment 193147

We stopped a few times on the way up to take pictures and scan the area for more caribou.

View attachment 193148

Once we reached the top of the stream bed, we were immediately within 200 yards of a herd of caribou with a decent bull in the group. We decided to pass on this bull and hunker down behind a small knoll and wait for more caribou to pass by.

View attachment 193149

Within minutes of settling in, a group of bulls were spotted on the skyline above my head in the above pic. The bulls were bedded and we could only see the tops of their antlers move periodically. Finally, the bulls decided it was time to continue on their migration and started down toward us. 400, 300, 200 yards - they kept feeding our way. I picked out the bull I wanted to shoot as soon as he came over the ridge and it was awesome to watch the bulls slowly descend down the hill. My bull was now less than 90 yards away, and feeding directly to me. The moment was surreal, looking at the bull in my scope … I’d thought about this hunt and this moment for hours since booking my air taxi. As the bull slowly turned to the left, I settled the crosshairs on his neck and pulled the trigger. The 140 grain Accubond hit its mark and the bull dropped in his tracks. Walking up on the bull was something I’ll never forget.

View attachment 193150
Awesome bull! Congrats! Definitely on my bucket list

Very nice. I have been to Alaska twice. Once to work for five months and a return trip to fish. That place has a way of getting under one's skin. You have convinced me I need to go back. Great trophy.

I have started planning my caribou trip because of this thread. I will get in touch with you with more questions and details after your back and settled. Congrats on your success!

08/27 Continued:

We began the process of breaking down the bull and getting the meat back to camp. I’m not sure which was more surprising - that the adventure of packing out caribou in the rain was fun or that @Wyodeerhunter would take this Utard hunting … ;)

9C55E324-90ED-44A6-9ED6-C42CEBC0A8ED.jpeg

Sleep came easy tonight after a day of hiking and packing out meat.

08/31:

It seemed like the adventure just started, and now it was ending. Today the planes came and picked us up and we headed back to Tok.

A8D472C5-C3BC-4400-ADF4-871E9895BA07.jpeg

At the risk of sounding moronic, those who have experienced Alaska will know what I mean … Alaska is truly special. It makes a person think and plan of ways to get back ASAP.

828D35BC-70D9-43DB-9BC2-96761E54E516.jpeg

A huge thanks goes out to bambistew and wyodeerhunter!! We spent the next few days preparing the meat and antlers for the trip back to the lower 48, visiting various stores/places in Anchorage, and sampling some of the local cuisines.

2D8FBC1C-8DB5-4B55-BC07-500095841372.jpeg

I could not have asked for a better experience - everything about Alaska and the people I shared camp with was phenomenal!

Back