Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Draw Plans

TB-B4

Rookie western hunter here, and to make things even more difficult, I’m a late bloomer (42). Have my first elk hunt in 3rd rifle Colorado this year. Last year I only hunted my home state but bought a point in Wyoming for elk and deer for my son and myself. I also am planning on Arizona OTC archery deer in January so I already have my license for the fall draw for elk and deer. Looking at a rotation of Arizona and Wyoming every few years for points (non-trophy units to make sure we don’t have long gaps between hunts) using Colorado OTC as the backup (or additional if the money and vacation line up...). My son is 12 so I figure it’s great for him to start early.

Does this sound like a good plan or does anyone have any suggestions to improve it. Idaho and Montana were on the list but drive time gets heavy since we are in east Texas.

Sounds like a solid plan to me! I have young boys and WY really gives these guys some great price breaks. If they’re open to cow elk, like most kids, then you have tons of opportunity at Type 4 tags which are reduced for kids. Good luck!

Sounds like a good plan to me, also check out the youth options in CO and AZ. There are also some great youth hunts in NM that might be worth gambling on, odds are mostly terrible but there are no points so you can jump in whenever you feel like it.

As a non resident you’ll realistically draw AZ every 5 years on any hunt worth the drive. I’d look to add another state to the mix. NM or CO draw could fit well

Being that you live in east Texas I would look into New Mexico hunts. While the draw odds are steep for some of the best units why not take a flyer and throw your hat into the ring? Especially since all the hunts are 100% random with no points. Bad part is you have to pay for the tag fees up front and if you don't draw get a refund.

Thanks for the tips on adding another state or two. New Mexico is definitely close, but the odds had them lower ranking than other states for me.

Two things about AZ, make sure that once you start applying, you are diligent because you will get a loyalty point after 5 years of continuous applications. Secondly take advantage of the deal they give you on the youth hunts there. Cheap license and some good hunts.

Two things about AZ, make sure that once you start applying, you are diligent because you will get a loyalty point after 5 years of continuous applications. Secondly take advantage of the deal they give you on the youth hunts there. Cheap license and some good hunts.
I definitely knew about the loyalty point. The youth hunts I hadn’t really looked into (but should have). Thanks for that info.

Sounds like a solid plan to me! I have young boys and WY really gives these guys some great price breaks. If they’re open to cow elk, like most kids, then you have tons of opportunity at Type 4 tags which are reduced for kids. Good luck!
Great deal for youth.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back