Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Down vest vs down jacket

Ozarkshunter95

Looking for opinions on the to personally I think I would pick the vest as I'm pretty warm natured and a vest seems more packable but if any one can tell me why a down jacket would be a better option I'm all ears . Thanks guys

I have a synthetic puffy vest that always goes on the hunt with me as it just packs down so small and provides more warmth than it should. So, if I just had to pick one, I'd likely pick the vest.
Is there a brand you recommend or are they more or less the same across the board

Whenever I’ve worn a vest, my arms get really cold. Warmth radiates from my hands to my forearms and my fingers freeze. A vest is pretty worthless to me in the field. I use a REI ultralight backpacking puffy.

Everyone’s body is different though, and some people find vests very comfortable and handy.

I have a micro grid vest that is light and packable that I pair with my puffy jacket. I picked it up during a long distance hike going through Leadville Co. a couple years ago and carry it on every backpacking or hunting trip. The problem with a down vest is if you're planning on layering it under a jacket then it will loose its loft and be almost useless.

Is there a brand you recommend or are they more or less the same across the board
Mines close to 20yrs old, but it's a Patagonia Puffball. Been a great piece of gear. THey have some stretch insulated gear that I think would be the cats hind end. One thing I like about a vest, is that I can wear it while moving some as I can vent it. I overheat quickly in a jacket. That said, the jackets are super nice when in a stationary spot. I have a no-name down jacket I got from work that I carry at times now as well, just can't/don't wear it when I move.

I have and use both depending. I've even had a weird montbell down thing that was a puffy short sleeve shirt; it looked ridiculous. In terms of warmth:weight, sleeves and hoods will always provide disproportionately high efficiency for relatively little weight. There is a lot of vasculature along the underside of your bicep, elbow, and forearm.
If you need high warmth:weight there's no replacing a full on puffy, but if you just need to bump up the warmth of your current clothing set-up a vest is light and cheaper. There are a ton of makes and models that work...look for deals, they're out there. Outdoor Research, Marmot, Rab, Montbell, Arcteryx, Patagonia, the list is looooong. REI store brand and Eddie Bauer are consistently good values in down products in my opinion. Their stuff goes on sale all the time and it's not too bad to start with.

Kuiu’s down vests & jacket both stuff into either hand pockets. I have both and depending on the temperature determines which I wear.

Whenever I’ve worn a vest, my arms get really cold. Warmth radiates from my hands to my forearms and my fingers freeze. A vest is pretty worthless to me in the field. I use a REI ultralight backpacking puffy.

Everyone’s body is different though, and some people find vests very comfortable and handy.
For glassing or sedentary activities jacket hands down jacket, but I started skiing in a vest under my shell a while ago and I will never go back.

@Ozarkshunter95 check out @SnowyMountaineer's list. I have the Patagonia, arcteryx and Rab, of those I'd pick Rab for down and Arcteryx for synthetic. REI has arc'teryx for 30% off right now.

Yeah for any type of glassing in any type of coldish windy weather my puffy jacket comes out.

My feet get cold first so I still bring my ArcticShield boot blankets as well. Used to use them whitetail hunting when sitting on stand all day. They don't weight anything and roll up into a pop can sized ball. Get where you are going, zip them on and your feet stay warm for hours.

Looking for opinions on the to personally I think I would pick the vest as I'm pretty warm natured and a vest seems more packable but if any one can tell me why a down jacket would be a better option I'm all ears . Thanks guys

Depends on when/where you're hunting. If it's mild I'd take a vest and a shell with windstopper, colder temps and I'll have a down jacket...I really like vests though, I need to replace my old one now that you have me thinking of it...

I'm a vest guy. Probably have half a dozen vests in my closet. I dislike sleeves interfering with what I'm doing outside. I've got jackets with burns on the sleeves from campfires

I just deal with the cold hands...

(I was really offended by Marty McFly being taunted about his "life preserver" in Back to the Future)

Last edited:
Can I say both?! On backpack hunts where glassing is the game, I generally use a synthetic vest for moving around in the cold. For glassing I throw on a big down puffy. I get cold pretty easily, however, and don't like being cold!

One thing to keep in mind with down. I don't' care if its treated or not, if its damp/wet/sweaty and you wad it up and shove it in your pack, it will drive all the moisture into the down, and it will impact the loft when you to to put it back on. The treated down may not absorb the water, but it still affects the loft. I prefer synthetic for many reasons, the above being one. I love down for its warmth, but won't rely on a jacket/vest unless I know its going to be below freezing for the majority of the trip.

I have a couple puffy jackets and lightweight vest, all are synthetic. I find tha with a midweight shirt and a vest I can get through most of my activities.

I am trying to decide on this for a hunt in Alaska this August. Kevlin lite vest or my kevlin lite jacket... i usually always pack in a puffy jacket with me, but thinking i might go with the vest for a middle of August hunt this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back