Caribou Gear

down coat

VAspeedgoat

I have read a few threads in here about down coats and have about decided on them verses a mid weight base layer for my hunt this fall. It seams it may be easier to deal with while hiking/hunting. What I can't decide is what brands or styles to get. I have about spent my budget on marino wool baselayers so I was wanting to keep it under $100, but truthfully if I could find something to last the week would rather stay around $50 if it is possible.

Also opinions on vest, hood, and more important synthetic or natural down would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Charlie

I have a couple of both and really see little value in a down coat until it gets well below zero.

Down doesn't really pack that much smaller, not really any lighter, and doesn't breath as well. Not to mention the wet factor.

I'm a big fan of hoods. As far as brands, most all use the same fabrics and insulation.

Beat of luck at that price range. The best sales are about to start! Good time to be shopping.

I have a goose down pack coat I carry in my back pack while hunting.I think I bought it at Gander Mountain.I have a Browning Hydro Fleece coat uninsulated ,when it gets cold I put on the pack coat with the Hydro Fleece over it. Toasty warm.

If you're looking for something to take the role of a mid weight outer layer, you're looking for something like the Patagonia nano puff. It's warm and breathable, and it's a synthetic so it stays warm when wet.

In your price range, I'd say you're going to have to get real lucky. Good clothing is expensive for a reason.

As dumb as it sounds, I was at Kohls with the wife and they had a Columbia Puffy on sale. With her 30% coupon I got it for right around $60. I've used it for late season muzzle loader and my weekend hikes with the dog. By far the warmest coat I've ever owned and packs down very small. I may not be the coolest kid on the block with the latest and greatest camouflage, but I'm just as warm.

How are you going to be using it? Backpacking where size and weight is a concern, or for day hunting?

If size and weight is a concern, watch the sales from now through May for mountaineering type gear. REI always has some good deals, as does Backcountry.com. I agree with Bambi, hoods are really nice. If you're trying to save money I'd go synthetic over down, you'll get more bang for your buck.

John, the nod to Warrant made my whole evening. I'm holding out the 80s rick makes a comeback.

Truthfully I was figuring that it would be an ebay purchase, just didn't know if there was a few brand names to look for. On amazon they have a 32 degrees coat for 60. It would be a non camo but I don't kniw id the fashion police will call me out or not. Do any of you have any knowledge of 32 degrees stuff. It said it was a$195 regular but I'm not sure about it.

Bob, looked at cabelas but didn't have my size, but thanks.

I picked up at a swapmeet a Marmot Gore-Tex down parka for $35 I keep it for a loaner since I already have a North Face Brooks Range that I bought in the 70's. I bought it way too big for me knowing I would grow into it.

Attachments

• NZ 2011 031.jpg
    NZ 2011 031.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_3349.jpg
    IMG_3349.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_3353.jpg
    IMG_3353.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 215
I have a kuiu spindrift I got used for 70$ and take it every time Im in the woods. I also have a eddie bauer first ascent down jacket I bought on clearance for 80$ during a sale a few weeks ago. Way warmer than the spindrift, packs smaller and weighs less. Id say watch the clearance racks as spring hits and places like eb and rei needs to offload old products.

I have a kuiu spindrift I got used for 70$ and take it every time Im in the woods. ....down jacket I bought on clearance.... Way warmer than the spindrift, packs smaller and weighs less. Id say watch the clearance racks as spring hits and places like eb and rei needs to offload old products.

As mentioned, discounts are coming. Ugly colors and discontinued models = great deals to be had. Spindrift never impressed me. 800 down is nice, but 650 works just fine for me.

Patagucci puff stuff is nice, though synthetic. I have the vest and it always goes with me. Very versatile piece of gear IMO.

Yes, it's that blue... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back