Yeti GOBOX Collection

Dove Decoys - yes or no

Wglwrm

The Az dove hunt is coming up. Last season me and fellas were out and we got to talken about the dove decoys. Well after a few hours of heated debate, a lot of missed birds and even more hurt prides, question still remains. Dove decoys or not, do they work or a waist?

X2 on wing movement. If you hunt teals too, you're in luck! Because a dove mojo works for both species
+1
prod.jpg

I have seen guys mount them on a branch and put that tall branch like its a tree right in midd.e of field or on a tall cross stake. Craziest thing dont look like it belongs but doves fly to it even after being shot at, not by me cause i hit all my doves.....decoy seems to work just get it high off ground and in open, good luck and take lots of shells

They typically come with a 3-4 foot stake. I like to place them where I think the doves can see it.
So it's no like a decoy pattern for ducks? Just set them around and hope for the best? Out where we hunt we do have a lot of birds and real good flights, so trying to con a bird into shooting range isn't really an issue. I just dont know... I have never seen anyone use them. That's its I'm going to walmart and get a few, I gotta try it.

I made a home made dove tree out of pvc last year. I used all still decoys and it didn't help much if any compared to no decoys at all. I've heard great things about the mojo spinning decoys, I think I'll add one or two this year and see if it helps. Good luck out there!

Last edited:
+ whatever we are up to for the Mojo dove decoys. All you need is 1, but if you have 2 or 3 it works even better. I put them at different angles so dove flying in different directions can catch the wing movement. That's what draws them in. They will come in and land right beside the decoy.

So it's no like a decoy pattern for ducks? Just set them around and hope for the best? Out where we hunt we do have a lot of birds and real good flights, so trying to con a bird into shooting range isn't really an issue. I just dont know... I have never seen anyone use them. That's its I'm going to walmart and get a few, I gotta try it.
More specifically, let's say the doves rest on a treeline near an ag field. I will set the decoy 20 yards behind me. I will be in between the mojo and treeline. I will also find cover, tall grass helps this. They will fly towards the mojo and you'll have passing shots galore! Hope this helps and you hammer them.

I'm in agreement with everything posted thus far. If you have still decoys and dont mind setting them up, go for it. But I've found they dont make much difference.
Spinning wings and other motion decoys seem to help draw them into shooting range

Put the mojo on a stake about 15-20 yards in front of you. If doves are flying they will come to it. If it’s the only one in the field you’re sitting on a pile of gold. If there’s a few then field then you share the wealth.

Nice... I'm gonna try a few this coming season. Here is south central Az we have really good dove hunting with an early season, sep. 1 -15th then a late season in December. The spots we hit are really good and we pretty much have a solid time frame on good flights. So if any one what's to come and shoot some little F-16 fighter birds, more than welcome. I'll bring the mojo's...

I use the Mojo's all the time. I've not only had dove come in but teal and mallards as well.

On the farm I hunt doves on I hunt under a pivot right after they cut corn. There is usually some standing corn left on a few corners. I'll put the mojo in the cut corn and clip inflatable dove decoys to corn stocks and the pivot itself. It is literally like watching ducks lock up and dive bomb in to a spread. If my shooting is good I will often hit a limit of doves, not to mention all the Eurasian doves that have no limit in CO

Anything with spinning wings works great. Put them where you want the dove coming in to land so watch your shooting lanes and distances. In Yuma, if you get non-motorized high enough, the wind will make them spin but I still use a couple motorized.

Last year we used a mojo on public where the doves wanted to be and had plenty of action. Another group 200 yards down the row of mowed sunflowers had 3 mojos going and they had maybe 1-2 doves in 90 mins.

If for whatever reason you don’t bring a dove mojo, mind you they’re just $30, make sure you are hunting where the birds want to be. And don’t think you can just set up a mojo anywhere and think it will work either.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back