Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Double Your Fuel Mileage With Water

What do you think about this story on the Missoulian's front page yesterday?

• Kook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Credible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BigHornRam

Flathead inventor says his fuel cells improve mileage, reduce emissions
By MICHAEL JAMISON of the Missoulian

Jerry Nezat hopes his minivan proves an inspiration for soccer moms everywhere. The inventor has installed a small water-filled fuel cell that he says improves mileage and reduces emissions.
Photo by MICHAEL JAMISON/Missoulian

BIGFORK - Jerry Nezat never doubted the power of water to shape things, to erode and carve and sculpt new landscapes.

Water, he knew, could change the world.

And if ever he doubted the power of water to power, well, that explosive experiment in his kitchen surely laid to rest any skepticism.

A bit of electrolysis, a parting of the ways between the hydrogen and the oxygen, a spark of flame and BANG! - Nezat had an idea. Instead of building power plants to run our cars and homes, why not turn those same houses and vehicles into mini-power plants, driven by hydrogen fuel cells?

“I like to tinker with things,” the inventor said, “and I love building. Electrical, mechanical, chemical, whatever. I enjoy working with physics.”

He's invented a lightweight CPR machine, and a carburetor adapter, and body armor from a homemade material that actually stops bullets. “I've been inventing for 50 years or more,” Nezat said, and he has the patents - and the sink-side explosions - to prove it.

“I started tinkering with hydrogen and fuel cells over 20 years ago,” he said. Eventually, by coating thin metal plates with a “secret sauce” - his hush-hush nano-coating - and then dunking them into a water bath hooked to his car battery, “I found that I could make a very nice fuel cell.”

He kept experimenting, added a bit of potassium hydroxide (and some isopropyl alcohol for winter months), attached a “bubbler,” and finally mainlined the hydrogen and oxygen straight into his intake manifold, turning his rig into a gasoline-hydrogen-oxygen hybrid. The results were nothing short of remarkable.

A 1979 Thunderbird, with a hulking 454 under the hood, barely cracked 10 mpg running on straight gasoline. But the hydrogen-oxygen blend pushed it to 35 mpg around town, he said, and 50 mpg on the open road.

A Toyota Camry jumped from 22 mpg to 42 mpg.

Still, Nezat's not offering any guarantees, and critics complain the mileage claims of other similar systems must be inflated, as it requires considerable power to release the hydrogen and oxygen.

Perhaps more important than mileage, though, is Nezat's claim that gasoline burns far more efficiently with the mix, and tailpipe emissions are nearly pristine. Those claims, likewise, still must be confirmed, but customers seem convinced.

“It seems like my gas goes on forever,” crowed Kalispell resident Pete Skibsrud, who put one of Nezat's units on his Toyota pickup. “It's so amazing. I'm looking at getting a bigger one installed.”

The real benefits, Nezat said, “are in diesels. We're getting a 95 percent fuel efficiency improvement in diesels.”

Which explains, perhaps, the orders from big trucking firms that are piling up at Nezat's rural home.

The house - a work in progress blending art and science in a way that would make Buckminster Fuller proud - has round arcing walls, energy efficiencies everywhere, a soaring geodesic dome above, a composting toilet below. It also contains one Dr. Mary Meadows, a retired physician recently turned tinkerer.

Meadows practiced environmental medicine down in Texas, heading a clinic that treated workers poisoned by the area's 59 oil refineries and endless miles of heavily sprayed agricultural fields.

“What I learned,” she said, “is we could treat the people, but the real problem was the toxic environment. There's no end in sight until we clean up the pollution problem.”

That was her message - “we have to find solutions” - at a conference in California last year. There, she met John Ballor, a technology marketing man and friend of Nezat's, and soon the trio had joined forces.

Meadows now is chief financial officer of Clean Air Canisters, and Nezat is chief tinkerer. Ballor pushes product, and does the technical training needed for front-end installation.

“The hardest part,” Nezat said, “is tricking these new car computers.” Generally, the computers see the added hydrogen and oxygen as nothing more than air and - thinking the vehicle is running too lean - they pump in more gasoline.

“But we've found a way to fool them,” Nezat said.

As he spoke, he walked to his kitchen sink, turned the tap and filled a canister with future fuel, straight from the well.

He slipped in the metal plates, screwed down the lid, and clipped on a power source. Immediately, the water began to fizz and bubble, and Nezat attached a length of rubber hose and a metal tip to direct the gases.

Meadows hit the tip with a spark and Nezat's hose transformed into a blowtorch, capable of burning at more than 16,000 degrees. The tip promptly melted.

“There is enormous power in a cup of water,” he said. “If you want a more powerful car, burn hydrogen and oxygen. It's incredible.”

The secret, he insists, is that nano-coating, which increases the surface area of the metal plates by 20 times. It also cranks up the fuel cell's efficiency, he said, making more power than it takes to run.

The result is a canister the size of a cardboard milk carton that needs filling only once every 4,000 miles. Installed, it runs about $550, and hundreds are on the roads already, some in the Flathead Valley, most in California.

In Los Angeles, he said, tests show the emissions coming out of his tailpipe are cleaner than the air going in.

“It's really a quantum leap in the technology,” Nezat said, adding that similar units must be refilled with water every 200 miles or so, making his 4,000-mile unit “a true breakthrough.”

Nezat is producing a two-plate system, to power lawn mowers and small equipment, and it makes about two liters of hydrogen and oxygen per minute; and he has a seven-plater, typical for passenger cars, producing four liters per minute. A pair of seven-plate units ran a Ford F-150 pickup truck 60 miles without any gasoline whatsoever, “but I wouldn't recommend that,” Nezat said.

At least, not without a water injection system to cool the engine, “because used straight, this stuff runs hot.”

A large 19-plate unit makes eight liters of hydrogen and oxygen per minute, he said, and drives the largest of engines.

But while Nezat has his head under the hood, Meadows is most interested in the experimental home unit, which with 5,000 square feet of nano surface area, actually separates the hydrogen and the oxygen, storing fuel to burn later as heat.

At home, a solar panel or small wind turbine takes the place of the car's battery, and hydrogen is tanked for use when the sun doesn't shine and the wind doesn't blow.

“This is zero-emission fuel,” she said. “Absolutely zero emission. It's the kind of solution that could actually affect the survival of the human race.”

The results still must be vetted by other scientists, and eventually by the marketplace, but the fact that such experiments are happening in Nezat's garage is perhaps not so surprising. After all, the Silicon Valley grew out of garage operations, where inventors tinkered without government grants or university funding. It is, Meadows said, American ingenuity at its purest.

But it is up against the best of American lobbying, and the fossil fuel industries are deeply entrenched. “It's hard to break the old mold,” Nezat admitted. “They don't want to think too creatively.”

Still, both have hope for a new Obama administration, which seems intent on overhauling the traditional oil economy.

“There's a real opportunity right now,” Meadows said. “For the first time, I believe it might be possible.”

Possible enough that they've now hired a small team of assemblers to help them meet demand, and a sales squad to spread the word, and they've signed on with a group of mechanics down in California, the better to fool those new-car computers.

They're aiming at cars and trucks and airplanes and boats and tractors and even trains, “but the trucking industry is the one we'd like to target most,” he said. “They burn so much diesel.”

Ultimately, though, Nezat expects water will not simply transform transportation - it will, he believes, change the world, carving whole new channels and social landscapes.

“This is for food, clothing, farming, you name it,” he said. “This is for every part of how we live. Absolutely, this will eventually change all of our technologies.”

Take a look

Jerry Nezat claims his hydrogen-producing Clean Air Canisters can increase fuel efficiency and dramatically reduce tailpipe emissions. Check it out at (866) 371-7779, or online at www.cleanaircanisters.com.

Was just looking through my recent issue of Diesel Power. There's a feature about hydrogen generator cells that will fit behind the front bumper of a regular-sized truck and has a remote 1 gallon water tank. Pretty interesting. I may do a propane install first.

If these gadgets were so great, the big auto makers would be using them. Think of how well a truck would sell if it got the same milage as a small car. These gadgets have come and gone for years, including the "magnet" you stick on your fuel line to break up hydocarbons... LOL
While fuel cells are real, the guys that tout they figured out what big companies haven't are usually lying.

Len Bishop from Bishops garage makes and installs them. Improves mileage by 3-4 gallons on most vehicles. A couple of drawbacks, he can only go 100 miles before having to add water, and baking soda. The other is you cannot let the ignition on without the vehicle running. apparently it builds gases in the container, and can explode I was going to have him put one in my truck but was afraid that it would kill my warranty.

Seems credible to me, there's all sorts of technology we could be utilizing that we aren't.

credible? Maybe a little, but practical? that is the question

Len Bishop from Bishops garage makes and installs them. Improves mileage by 3-4 gallons on most vehicles. A couple of drawbacks, he can only go 100 miles before having to add water, and baking soda. The other is you cannot let the ignition on without the vehicle running. apparently it builds gases in the container, and can explode I was going to have him put one in my truck but was afraid that it would kill my warranty.

You mean I can get 3-4 more gallons on my mileage, wow?

Geeze, I have to find more water every 100 miles. Plus, no ignition on without the vehicle running, that part makes it sound like you left out a few words.

What the heck are you trying to say? My waurantee is not alive, so it doesn't matter there for me. You got Len Bishop's number?

What happened to the bio diesel thing, Dave?
My landlord had a run-in with the city fire department and everything's been on hold. For the last 1/2 year we've had city firemen running around the property doing spot inspections, writing citations and causing general grief. Mundane stuff like trim all trees and hedges, re-wire anything outside with EMT, and fire extinguishers and alarms in every room in every house. I've got 75 gallons of WVO sealed in jugs, 2 pumps and the 35 gallon electric water heater set up in the outside laundry room ready to go. Luckly I hadn't ordered the methanol yet... I would have been drawn and quartered in the inspection. They even made a big stink about my reloading station in the garrage and wanted to confiscate everything; I sicked my sheffif's dept. sargent buddy on them and they decided to back off. I'm not touching anything until the Fire House Clowns stop snooping around.
I've heard and read a few things about hydrogen production and from what I can see, there's still a few bugs to be worked out. I'm currently looking into a LPG fogger system for my diesel, but still need to do a lot more research.

Gotcha, BHR. I'm pretty tight with County firefighters, but city fire guys are a different story. I can't believe how hard they threw the book at my landlord... he must have told them to take a flying leap or something.
In fact I did consult the County fire captain about bringing drums of methanol into city limits, and he said he didn't have too much of a problem with it as long as I followed all safety guidelines. 50 gallons is the max limit and I must use a grounding strap. I'm betting the city is much stricter and would have me locked up if they didn't like either me or my setup. I got pretty concerned when they started making noises about my reloading bench... it's none of their damn business. It pays to have a contact in the Sheriff's Dept.

Plus, no ignition on without the vehicle running, that part makes it sound like you left out a few words.

Yea, left out a few words, you cannot let the ignition turned on without the engine running. Apparently the gasses building in the container will explode, they have no place to go. With the engine running, it burns up.

A guy I work with has also done this to his truck, his wifes car and his dads car. I have a "how to" dvd, but I have not tried it.

I'm not sure its a copy...I can make you a copy if you want and send it to you?

Just pm me your info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back