PEAX Equipment

Don’t Procrastinate or waste opportunities to hunt

My father in law dreamed of a pack in elk hunt for years. He had it all planned in his head to do it the year he retired. Sadly, he never made it to retirement. His last words to me as we talked about elk hunting was, go now. That year, I started to build points and have been able to go elk hunting twice. Every time I think about the money/time/and working out for the hunt, I think about him in that chair and how he never got to go on his dream hunt.

Time is short, do it NOW!!

What state are you hoping to get an OTC tag in this year?
I have signed on with an outfitter around Montrose Co to do a drop camp elk archery hunt for this year. That is it outside of my normal Iowa whitetail hunting I do every year in my home state

I was 47 when I had a heart attack in 2015.

Not so easy to just say I’m going to climb a hill over 8000’ anymore.

An elk hunt has always been a dream, especially being from Minnesota…

But I can’t even get guides to talk with me anymore.
there are a lot of elk below 8,000 feet.

there are a lot of elk below 8,000 feet.
If I were you and if you were still able, I would go as a non hunter by joining up with a group just to experience elk camp and to be in the mountains. It’s not as good as actually hunting but would still be a good experience to be a part of a hunt. Outfitters might be onboard with something like that. That’s what I intend to do When my body tells me I shouldn’t be out climbing the mountains anymore. Just be a part of something I love.

If I were you and if you were still able, I would go as a non hunter by joining up with a group just to experience elk camp and to be in the mountains. It’s not as good as actually hunting but would still be a good experience to be a part of a hunt. Outfitters might be onboard with something like that. That’s what I intend to do When my body tells me I shouldn’t be out climbing the mountains anymore. Just be a part of something I love.
Dude, telling @Khunter to go hang out in the mountains with hunters is like telling Mohammed Ali to learn about boxing by hanging out in a gym.

I'll call it quits when they bury me. as long as i'm alive, above ground and breatheing im gonna be in the field or on the water

Not to learn about hunting, just to still be a part of the hunt. Even if a guy can’t safely climb the mountains every morning he might still want to take part in elk camp just to be a part of the fun. I will still want to do that as long as I can

I've hunted all of my life. The last 40 years or so was a trappers wife. We shot deer and then back to trapping.
Retired now and took up elk hunting at 60 that was 4 years ago. I have 2 new knees a right hip and now getting over a complete reversed right shoulder replacement.
I'm stuck shooting a 6.5 cm or .243 nothing bigger.
I packed out 2 elk last year mine and the husbands.
Not sure what this fall will bring. Like they say the mind is willing but the body sometimes can't keep up. That's okay I now live in the mountains and enjoying life to the fullest.

Just turned 70 Friday. Was a builder for 40 years. Two back surgeries, two hernia surgeries, shoulder surgery, 4 disc’s fused in my neck, and accidentally stuck my left thumb in a table saw. Still have it but doesn’t work real good. Hunted all my life in a lot of places. Going for elk this fall with son and son-in-law. Just can’t say no so am going. Been awhile since I’ve scaled a mountain. I am still pretty active so I think I will survive hopefully. Mainly have to deal with arthritis now.

Not to learn about hunting, just to still be a part of the hunt. Even if a guy can’t safely climb the mountains every morning he might still want to take part in elk camp just to be a part of the fun. I will still want to do that as long as I can
Sharp, I am not the guy who said he had issues, It was @Farmer

Your a getlemen and a scholar...appreciate your generous offer....
Hopefully we will tag something, the outfitter will pack it out on horseback this time, that is part of the reason I elected to go this route. I prefer to not have to hump one out on my back if I can avoid it.

I'm 72 and enjoy reading threads like this. I put in for Montana this year but didn't draw. I'm thinking to Hunt Utah. I have hunted there before so know the terrain in at least one unit. I love elk hunting but I'm in the same boat as most. My left knee isn't reliable but lately isn't giving me too much grief when I walk so I am probably better off than most my age having all my original joints. I feel arthritis in my hands at times but not debilitating yet. I have discovered the better food I eat the better I feel. The food my body craves is often the worst food I could eat. What we most need to avoid if at all possible is getting so obese we can't hardly get out of a chair. I have a good friend who loves to eat and is very tall. He weighs over 300 lbs and is on Oxygen. He is on his second set of knees. He doesn't think he can even deer hunt this coming year and is 74. He now has many health problems. If he could loose 50 lbs I think he could move easier and maybe even loose the Oxygen when just doing normal things but I suspect he won't loose the weight.
So yea, if you love to hunt, do it whatever age if you can, as someday hunting may not be optional.

I am thinking Colorado since that is where I have always hunted elk, but I’m open to suggestions
You might consider Utah since they still offer unlimited OTC/online Archery Elk tags. In general, the Elevations aren't as high as Colorado. You wouldn't necessarily have to pack in or pack in far anyway.
There is a good chance you could get some help with packing out too if you got an Elk.

You might consider Utah since they still offer unlimited OTC/online Archery Elk tags. In general, the Elevations aren't as high as Colorado. You wouldn't necessarily have to pack in or pack in far anyway.
There is a good chance you could get some help with packing out too if you got an Elk.

Thanks for the info but I have already signed on with an outfitter to do a drop camp style hunt in Co

Back