Caribou Gear Tarp

Don’t laugh... What is your hunting rig?

Guys, this has been a very informative and entertaining thread, thank you all (we say “y’all” in my neck of the woods) for the input. I have much more confidence in my planning now. It sounds like my car should be capable enough to handle most places, and I really want us to get out and put some boot leather on the ground regardless.

I’m actually considering buying a small enclosed trailer anyway, and that would really help out, but also cost a little bit on fuel economy. I may also just use my hitch haul. I’m really only worried about the bulk of the coolers and a few other items not fitting.

I’m on the fence about some camping... I may do some, but my ballerina daughter is not the most rugged of princesses. We’ll likely spend at least most nights in hotels.

I've covered the seats in visqueen, seat belted deer in place, and brought home six whitetails from western oklahoma to central oklahoma in a lebaron convertible. Got some strange looks from the highway patrol, but fed the teenagers for the year.
This is hilarious, and definitely sounds worthy of a Jeff Foxworthy joke. I’d love to see pictures!

Honestly, I only take my truck if it’s a hunt close to home, or if I really need it (4WD, ground clearance, the bed). If I’m parking along a paved road or a well maintained dirt road I just take my wife’s car. Hard to beat 40 MPG. That just gives me more money to spend on tags. Even if it means I have to walk a little further, it’s usually worth it to have the 25+ MPG, plus you get to hunt land that otherwise gets driven past. I’ve brought a few deer home in the trunk before. Just know your cars limits, and don’t get caught in a bad situation. Bring a tow strap and shovel regardless of what you drive. Even when I drive my truck I prefer to play it safe. I hunt alone mostly and would rather hike more than be stuck all alone.

take
As posted previously, I'm planning to take my daughter on an antelope hunt in WY in 2021. Being a long ways from home (SE TN), I am trying to be mindful of cost savings without being totally cheap. I’m thinking about driving my Subaru Outback (over 200k miles and not a beauty queen) out there to save on gas, and with it being AWD and having decent ground clearance I figured it would be a better choice over the 4WD Expedition.

What do you hunt out of, and do you think that the Outback would work for a WY public land hunt?

get chains and it will take a foot of snow to stop ya

It kinda cracks me up how much crap people bring out for a camping trip, I mean sure it's nice to have some creature comforts but then it makes breaking camp take so much time. A digression, but similar conversation is with float trips... I've talked to a number of people who have done AK float trips for moose and they talk about how much work it was, with the main complaint being breaking down and setting up camp everyday. I just don't understand why if you are going hunting, not glamping you take so much crap, IMHO if it takes you more than 15 min to set up camp on a float trip or car camping trip you are doing it wrong. Tent, sleeping bag, pad, all your food is bars or dehydrated or something that's precooked, keep it simple focus on hunting.

When I hunt out of my corolla I bring two 65 coolers or maybe a 65 and a 100 for elk, my pack, rifle or bow, and then a small tote with extra food and gear. Everything fits in the trunk, at the trail head my car looks empty. The only additions I make for car camping versus backpack hunting is a camp chair and a cot that zips into a 14" by 6" bag and weighs 3lbs.

Maybe I'm just the Marie Kondo of hunting... I do take joy in being able to unload my car after a hunt in 3 trips from the car to the house or less.

Bottom line though, I'm not trying to shame anyone for their way of getting out into the woods, it's your vacation do it your way and enjoy yourself... just don't create imaginary impediments for yourself that keep you from getting out there you can do most hunts in the lower 48 with a beater sedan and a few hundred dollars worth of Walmart gear.
I gotta have u pack my next trip. When I go from iowa out west the f 150 with the topper its full. I always over pack. For some reason I have it in my mind... if I'm driving 11 hours I might as well have it then not be without it. Sure wish I could break that habit.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a subaru for a pronghorn hunt, in most places. But, I've definitely seen some roads in elk country that were better suited for a truck...

I took our Forester out to Wyoming last year. Zero issues with a set of all terrains and dealing with some freezing rain on the two tracks. I've got a 2" lift on it and skids on the oil pan and rear diff, but never grounded out even in some real rutted up crap. It's got more ground clearance than my dad's 1500 and got 27-28mpg there and back.

Debating taking it to Colorado next month for rifle elk.

I gotta have u pack my next trip. When I go from iowa out west the f 150 with the topper its full. I always over pack. For some reason I have it in my mind... if I'm driving 11 hours I might as well have it then not be without it. Sure wish I could break that habit.

Leave some of it at a rest stop and if it's too much trouble to go back to get it then you didn't need it.

I took our Forester out to Wyoming last year. Zero issues with a set of all terrains and dealing with some freezing rain on the two tracks. I've got a 2" lift on it and skids on the oil pan and rear diff, but never grounded out even in some real rutted up crap. It's got more ground clearance than my dad's 1500 and got 27-28mpg there and back.

Debating taking it to Colorado next month for rifle elk.

A bash plate up front would be a nice touch for real off road use.

I had a Sub for about 5 years and never had any trouble with it. Never took it on a washed out forest road though.

One thing I can say form experience is that an AWD car is sure better than a 2WD truck for most situations. I made the mistake of buying a Nissan Frontier 2WD with the Nismo Off-Road package (isn't "2WD" and "Off-Road package" mutually exclusive???). Anyway, I have a steep driveway and a month after buying it we had a snow storm. Even with good tires, limited slip diff, and 350 lbs of sand tubes in the back, I couldn't come close to getting up the iced drive. . . . I'm pulled off to the side and my son's girlfriend drives right past me in her Outback just as smooth and steady as can be. . . . Hurt my pride so bad I sold it and swore off 2wd trucks forever. :ROFLMAO:

When I head West, it’s in a full size 4WD pickup. The bed is full with second spare tire (blew out two in NM), two big coolers, camping box, extra gas can, etc. The second row has guns, optics, and fly fishing gear.
I’m sure a Subaru, Corrolla, etc would get you around fine, but will it haul the gear and dead animals?
Wish I had pics of my truck from our KS DIY trips. I had an ATV and 4 stand sets in the back of that truck. Looked like the Clampets going down the road.

I am just finishing up this camper build for this years hunting trip to WY. I am taking my daughter as well and I am hoping this will get us into any spot we wish to get.

Attachments

• 20190911_183508.jpg
    20190911_183508.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 38

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back