Don’t laugh... What is your hunting rig?

Don’t laugh indeed...

Prius has done well for me; an 04 to Texas, South Dakota a couple of times, and this pic which is from a Wyoming for a doe hunt in 2015.

I’ve got a 2013 now that I took to South Dakota this past November.

Certainly lowers the bill for hunts out west!

Last edited:
As posted previously, I'm planning to take my daughter on an antelope hunt in WY in 2021. Being a long ways from home (SE TN), I am trying to be mindful of cost savings without being totally cheap. I’m thinking about driving my Subaru Outback (over 200k miles and not a beauty queen) out there to save on gas, and with it being AWD and having decent ground clearance I figured it would be a better choice over the 4WD Expedition.

What do you hunt out of, and do you think that the Outback would work for a WY public land hunt?
I've run hundreds of miles in Wyo. with an outback with some pretty aggressive tires and you would be surprised where it will go compared to a pickup.

A Plymouth is all you need.

elk-in-car-trunk.jpg

Not my hunting rig but used to be my fishing rig. The good'ol 85 Sylvan/03 Alero combo. Caught a ton of fish in that old crappy boat too.

IMG_20140814_184001_963.jpg

So true, but you couldn't come over and shoot arrows at my place as you wouldn't make it up the hill. Being that you are an outdoorsman that hunts in the mnts, aren't you consistently hamstrung on roads?

It kinda cracks me up how much crap people bring out for a camping trip, I mean sure it's nice to have some creature comforts but then it makes breaking camp take so much time. A digression, but similar conversation is with float trips... I've talked to a number of people who have done AK float trips for moose and they talk about how much work it was, with the main complaint being breaking down and setting up camp everyday. I just don't understand why if you are going hunting, not glamping you take so much crap, IMHO if it takes you more than 15 min to set up camp on a float trip or car camping trip you are doing it wrong. Tent, sleeping bag, pad, all your food is bars or dehydrated or something that's precooked, keep it simple focus on hunting.

When I hunt out of my corolla I bring two 65 coolers or maybe a 65 and a 100 for elk, my pack, rifle or bow, and then a small tote with extra food and gear. Everything fits in the trunk, at the trail head my car looks empty. The only additions I make for car camping versus backpack hunting is a camp chair and a cot that zips into a 14" by 6" bag and weighs 3lbs.

Maybe I'm just the Marie Kondo of hunting... I do take joy in being able to unload my car after a hunt in 3 trips from the car to the house or less.

Bottom line though, I'm not trying to shame anyone for their way of getting out into the woods, it's your vacation do it your way and enjoy yourself... just don't create imaginary impediments for yourself that keep you from getting out there you can do most hunts in the lower 48 with a beater sedan and a few hundred dollars worth of Walmart gear.

So true, but you couldn't come over and shoot arrows at my place as you wouldn't make it up the hill. Being that you are an outdoorsman that hunts in the mnts, aren't you consistently hamstrung on roads?

Hold my beer... ;)

Their aren't a ton of places in the lower 48 that you can't access via a paved or passenger car friendly road. Some but not a lot.

I prefer to hunt on foot, so I specifically pick spots where that is my competitive advantage. I consciously avoid BLM as it tends to be a mess of roads and guys on RZRs and focus more on national forest, wilderness areas, state land, etc etc...

Spoken like a local with brass balls. I get scared on the paved road just heading to some of these places, in weather.

Hold my beer... ;)

Their aren't a ton of places in the lower 48 that you can't access via a paved or passenger car friendly road. Some but not a lot.

I prefer to hunt on foot, so I specifically pick spots where that is my competitive advantage. I consciously avoid BLM as it tends to be a mess of roads and guys on RZRs and focus more on national forest, wilderness areas, state land, etc etc...

If you are not going to use a truck make sure to use the mandatory language that you are "rocking" or "running" what ever. When I was first out of college my front wheel drive cavalier got me more places in mud turkey hunting than my S10 ever could.

I made my first trip solo in my 10 year old Camry. I’ve also had deer hooves poking out of the trunk of and old 2 door Sentra. Wish I had pictures of those rigs loaded down.

Last year I took my Dad and he can only drive his truck. As I doubt I will be doing anything out west over the next few years besides WY antelope, I am now squarely in the “we’ll take your truck” camp as long as my Dad can manage the trip.

He’s got a crane in the bed that is supposed to be rated for 300 lbs for his scooter. Definitely hope to try and use it to skin and process lopes in the field this fall.
0C417972-614E-49E8-B493-BFC5B93F48BC.jpeg

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back