Caribou Gear

Don’t kill wolves – just keep them away

cheeser

Unrealistic. What's the point of living rural if you have to fence yourself in like that? That fencing would impede the natural movement of wildlife on and off private. That doesn't work for me.
What the point of living rural if you have kill everything that might maybe bother you in some way. If you live rural, it goes with the package.

If some idiot thinks that a small sheep fence with some ribbon on it is going to keep wolves out and away from livestock, then they are living in a fantasy land. I have personally seen coyotes jump 8 feet straight into the air without even a running start....

I envision a 10' high fence to keep a wolf from jumping over...minimum.

Eventually, the same people that will be complaining about wolves will in turn be the same morons who voted for their reintroduction and their protection on a federal level.

Hard to believe that the same govt that eradicated these things by blimps, airplanes and poison is now re-introducing them...Talk about idiotic.

You folks out there have a mess on your hands.

Like to hear the wolves howl at night where I hunt/fish on the island, If I was a ''rancher ,up in the interior, its a different story !!
To those who do not know it, Wolves in packs ''kill for fun''. Winter deer yards...

What the point of living rural if you have kill everything that might maybe bother you in some way. If you live rural, it goes with the package.
I'd agree with you, except in some states, people (voters and bureaucrats) who aren't living in the rural areas, and don't visit them, think they know what's best, including what kind of exciting new animals should be reintroduced.

Wolves are smart as heck. Most people already use nonlethal methods since they can’t hit them. Shoot at them and miss and typically they don’t come bother you in that area again for a while if ever.

I'd agree with you, except in some states, people (voters and bureaucrats) who aren't living in the rural areas, and don't visit them, think they know what's best, including what kind of exciting new animals should be reintroduced.
Even the people that don't live in the rural areas are owners in the public trust that is wildlife. Like it or not.

If wildlife is just too much of an inconvenience, then move to town. You will be happier there. I've got neighbors that hate wildlife. They'd love to kill it all. They buy cats to keep outside to keep down the mice and chipmunks (and ever other damn form of small vertebrate life, including those on my property). All they want is a town lot with more elbow room. Wildlife is just a problem as far as they are concerned and I see this all over, including posters on hunting forums.

The introduced wolves here in Montana are non native and have wiped out 3/4 of the Elk and Moose population. They also wiped out the few remaining native wolves.
My Dentist had a painting of a wolf in his office and I told him that his wolf pic was upside down. He looked at me funny and I said yes, a proper wolf has his four legs pointing straight up to the sky.

Even the people that don't live in the rural areas are owners in the public trust that is wildlife. Like it or not.

If wildlife is just too much of an inconvenience, then move to town. You will be happier there. I've got neighbors that hate wildlife. They'd love to kill it all. They buy cats to keep outside to keep down the mice and chipmunks (and ever other damn form of small vertebrate life, including those on my property). All they want is a town lot with more elbow room. Wildlife is just a problem as far as they are concerned and I see this all over, including posters on hunting forums.
So your neighbors introduced a new predator into your neighborhood that indiscriminately kills?

I feel like you're trolling me on this issue. The problem is a lot of the wildlife "owners" driving the public bus are terrible drivers, and are taking us towards the cliff edge. Just like like Wile E Coyote on roller skates with a rocket strapped to his back. (He was a predator who lived out in a rural area trying to eat a roadrunner.)

I’ve seen electrified net fencing work pretty well in isolated cases, on the ground, in the Rocky mtn west. The problem is it’s tough to keep charged, keep from grounding out on vegetation, and very time consuming to move when in adequately large circumference.
Like most things, there are places where mitigation measures work, and some where they don’t. Yes wolves and g bears will both try to dig under at times.

I feel like you're trolling me on this issue. The problem is a lot of the wildlife "owners" driving the public bus are terrible drivers, and are taking us towards the cliff edge. Just like like Wile E Coyote on roller skates with a rocket strapped to his back. (He was a predator who lived out in a rural area trying to eat a roadrunner.)
Not trolling at all. You can't dismiss the nonrural public. You may be trolling when you call them "terrible drivers" but they would say much the same about how you would drive their wildlife over that same cliff instead. The public trust is what it is. A lot of land owners feel like they shouldn't have to tolerate it. That their interests and convenience supersedes others. I guess it's just the way of the world.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back