Don't Always Take FWP Map at Face Value

JimQ

We are a billet family for the Great Falls Americans hockey team and this weekend I took our hockey player deer hunting up at the Brinkman Game Preserve. First off he had a great time and it was his first ever stalking deer. I had called in at the beginning of the week to reserve a spot for the M&V Ranch BMA, type 2, which borders and has some land within the preserve just to be on the safe side in case we had to chase the deer on to it. The deer were extremely spooky and acted like they had been heavily pressured but according to the farmer there been but a few locals in there this season.
All that being said as we were leaving empty handed a FWP truck came up on us and the local agent came over to inform us that we was trespassing. We had a lengthy discussion about the BMA and the preserve and come to find out the FWP map is wrong. There are 2 M&V ranches, the one north of the river is the type 2 and the one on the preserve is a type 1 walk in after asking permission from the farmer. Big confusion on all of it but in the end the ranger and the farmer were both cool about it and I was invited to come back anytime as long as I stop and holler at the farmer.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back