Dominant eye..... Need some help.

Moosie

Grand poopa
Alright fella's. My son Mason tells me he's left eye dominant.

We went through a couple tests to see and I'm still up in the air if he is or not. What's your take ?

I do the test a little different. Have him point at something across the room with his index finger and his arm extended looking with both eyes. Then have him close one eye and then the other. The finger should "jump" to the side when he closes his dominant eye.

Npadens test is also a good one. You covering up the dominant eye I've never seen. If you keep the object in the triangle it will go to the eye that's not covered. A flawed test in my mind

The other one I've done with large groups of kids is to stand 20 feet apart and have them point at your nose with both eyes open. Their finger will be on one side of the nose which is their dominate side.

Hope I don't have to explain there is no way he is pulling his hand to the closed eye without faking it. Im right eye and if I closed my right eye there is NO option but left. So it didn't matter what test I gave him. I thought it was so funny he wanted to argue and prove me wrong he would pull it to his left eye. I probably have the only kids in the world that would do something like this ;)

For youngsters I've found a toilet paper/paper towel roll to be a good way to test eye dominance. Have them look at you through it. They'll put it on their dominant eye to do so. If they go to the same eye when holding it in different hands all the more confirmation which eye is dominant. If you think they are gaming it; take them outside and hand them a rangefinder. Same test, but they're less likely to try to game it.

At the local sporting clays course they use a 12 inch long 3/4 inch diameter pvc pipe taped to a wooden pistol grip. The shooter is instructed to aim the “pistol” at a 20 yard bullseye, arms fully extended in front. Then the shooter is instructed to bring the pistol all the way to their face, keeping the bullseye centered. Some folks are extremely dominate left or right, some folks are nearly co-dominate. The 12 inch length and small diameter of the device makes cheating towards a preconceived dominance much harder.

Scott85's method is the best one mentioned. I am right handed, left eye dominant. The way I found out was shooting open sight .22 with my Uncle at 9 years old. He told me to open both eyes, and my shots were all over the place. Then was told to switch sides and had a good solid group. After that, we did the test that Scott85 mentioned. He said "Now,.. Shoot everything lefty, be abnormal, but most of all, be accurate."

Back