Caribou Gear Tarp

"Domestic" mallard?

jrabq

If you hunt waterfowl you might get asked to participate in a parts collection program where you send in a wing of every duck you shoot. After the season they will send you a summary, this year it had one surprise, saying I shot a "domestic" mallard :) . I dug up the photo from that day, I'm guessing it was the middle duck that got that description. To me it just looks like an early season bird, certainly not obviously bigger than the other two. My only guess is the small amount of white on the leading edge of the wing might indicate some domestic duck genes?
20230627_094701.jpg
20221115_101332.jpg

If you hunt waterfowl you might get asked to participate in a parts collection program where you send in a wing of every duck you shoot. After the season they will send you a summary, this year it had one surprise, saying I shot a "domestic" mallard :) . I dug up the photo from that day, I'm guessing it was the middle duck that got that description. To me it just looks like an early season bird, certainly not obviously bigger than the other two. My only guess is the small amount of white on the leading edge of the wing might indicate some domestic duck genes?
View attachment 281625
View attachment 281626
Interesting thanks for sharing!

Very interesting. I don't see anything obvious about that bird except that its body plumage appears to be fully eclipse yet the rest is about half turned.

I also received my results but didn't even think to compare to pictures. I only killed 11 ducks so nothing crazy but I would like to know the difference between a mature/immature pintail.

View attachment 281625
View attachment 281626
They might have found some other markings or genetic markers. I was with a Waterfowl biologist lately banding in WA and they are super observant looking at the birds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back