PEAX Equipment

Dogs running deer!!

This topic struck a nerve with me since it happened last year about 2 weeks earlier than this year when ironically the owner was on a draw bow hunt for the weekend. Saturday and Sunday I saw his dogs. I talked to the owner and he agreed with me if his dogs did not return he would not ask what happened. To me this onwer does not have time for his dogs if when he is away he doesn't care what they are doing. Although this year it was not his dogs. At first I thought they were someone pheasant hunting and if I shot one he would be on me ASAP chewing my ass, but when I seen them the second time 15 minutes later it really pissed me off. Or rifle opener is this weekend if they are still running this weekend someone will shot them.

Marc, I can understand being pissed if your dogs got shot for no reason. I woud be pissed too. Once again, what we are talking about is dogs running deer.

Yes, but whether your dog is actually running deer OR some dipshit just thinks your dog is running deer ends up with the same result...dead dog.

You think my pointing dogs have never kicked a deer out of a draw before while hunting birds? You think if some idiot with Tom's mentality was there and saw that he wouldn't shoot?

You can't blame a dog for being a dog...

well honestly what do you think is going to happen. I don't agree with the 3 dogs getting shot but we are talking about deer chasers. My neighbor lives on 1 acre, has 3 dogs and lets them run at night. I have been barked at in the stand, I have had 2 deer chewed on and there is constant dog crap in my yard.

After the chewing of the 2nd deer I "politely" told her I see her dog on my property again it"s "dead", LOL

It really isn't the doggs fault, but to this day the dogs crap in my yard and drag the carcasses from deer "2 this year" back into the yard. Because at night they are let out to go wherever they want.

So, you tell me. When is enough,,,, enough

My jaw is on the desk here reading the posts by all the people here saying that a case of a dog running a deer would cause them to take such measures as to shoot the dog! I love reading posts on this site and almost 99% of time find that everyone here has views that I can be on board with, but this one just seems flat out ridiculous. SOOO much can be going on as to why a dog is chasing a deer, and to shoot it, and basically decide for yourself without fully knowing the circumstances, seems to be pretty dramatic. At the end of the day, what are you out if a dog runs a deer past you? A doe? A fork horn? Honestly I don't think it would change my mind if it was a Booner buck, if it turns out that it was someone's pet that was just killed I think i'd hang up the gun! How many different reasons can be thought of as to why a dog is chasing a deer? Tons I would imagine, and 99% of them are justified.. EVERYONE who has had a dog has had it do something that they didn't want them to do! Piss in the house, crap in the yard, break heel when shot is fired......god forbid a dog breaks down and chases after a deer. You have no possible way of knowing if this dog is a habitual game chasing mutt or a highly trained dog that just had a bad day. I'm sorry, not sure why this one hit a chord since i've never had a dog ruin a hunt nor have I lost a dog to some Joey Shatpants who has an itchy trigger finger and looking for any reason to shoot his gun. IMO if you shoot a dog you are simply looking for a reason to shoot something... Take a deep breath, calm down, and try to be a little empathetic with other people. And as a note on the TOM case, going the step further to take the time and effort to mail collars back to owner just seems like another morbid and overly dramatic step. Exercise some class

I'm going to suggest that many of you still don't comprehend what some of us are talking about, or don't have problems in your own state that are similar to the problems here. We're not talking about shooting bird dogs that are out hunting with their owners, we're not talking about shooting the neighbor's Fido for crapping on our lawn (tempting), and we're not talking about shooting the family pet while he's out for a walk with the kids. Feral dogs and pet dogs that are allowed to run free in rural or wildland-urban inteface areas are a serious and perpetual problem for wildlife in Colorado.

As shocked as some of you sound at the idea, it's obviously not a problem in your neck of the woods. I won't keep arguing the point, and I promise not to shoot your dog (I've never shot a dog in my life, FYI).

Wildlife officials are reminding dog owners to keep their pets under control after a pack of five ran loose recently and nearly killed an elk across the Roaring Fork River from Lazy Glen.

Kevin Wright, Aspen District wildlife officer with the Colorado Division of Wildlife, said he didn't arrive on the scene soon enough to capture the dogs. He found a bloody trail leading to where the elk crossed the river to flee its tormentors.

"One of the dogs was trying to get it in the river as well," said Wright, who talked to a witness.

Wright said many dog owners cannot imagine how their loyal pets can transform when they're chasing wildlife. Dogs aren't efficient killers, like wild predators. When they kill a deer or elk, "It's not a pretty sight," he said. "They're basically torn apart while they're alive."

He's written a ticket this year to a woman at W/J Ranch after her unsecured dog chased a deer. The fine for harassing wildlife is $200 and there is a surcharge of $74.

Wright said rural residents cannot just let their pets roam at will without major effects on wildlife. When dogs go free, it expands the "zone of influence" that development has in wildlife habitat.

And when dogs chase deer and elk, it could lead to a death sentence for all involved. Big game expends a lot of energy fleeing the dogs. That cuts into their fat reserves. Those reserves might be needed to survive the winter, Wright said.

It could be a matter of life and death for the dogs, as well. Wildlife and law enforcement officers have a legal right to shoot dogs that are found harassing wildlife.

"We have this every year," Wright said. "I don't know why people can't control their dogs."

The Colorado Division of Wildlife (DOW) is urging dog owners to make sure that their pets are secured to prevent them from chasing wildlife.

Throughout the state, dogs chasing wildlife is a growing problem for wildlife managers.

Every year DOW offices receive hundreds of calls reporting dogs chasing deer, elk or other wildlife species, but this year’s heavy snowfall has pushed wildlife closer to homes and has left wildlife in an even more vulnerable condition.

Owners are urged to keep their dogs on a leash when hiking and to make sure that their pets cannot escape their fenced yards or kennels.

Dogs are instinctively hunters or herders and if given the opportunity, even the most mild-manner dogs will act on this instinct to chase other animals.

This problem can be worsened when two or more dogs are allowed to run together. In groups, dogs develop a “pack-mentality” which greatly increases their desire to chase or kill wild animals.

“It’s a serious problem,” says Dawson Swanson, district wildlife manager in Bailey. “Dogs that are allowed to run loose can cause serious injuries or death to big-game animals.”

Deer and elk that are forced to run from dogs must use the energy stores that they need to carry them through the winter months.

Even if the animal is not caught, the stress and fatigue caused by the chase could cause the animal to die later.

This problem is increasing as more people are moving into rural areas that deer and elk use for winter-range habitat.

Large animals congregate in the winter months which make them an easy target for dogs.

DOW officials also emphasize that dog/wildlife conflicts are not just a winter problem.
Deer fawns and elk calves are especially susceptible to attack shortly after they are born in the spring.

Pet owners are legally responsible for any damages that are caused to wildlife by their dogs.

Under Colorado statute, pet owners can be fined $274 if their animals are harassing wildlife.

If a dog kills or injures an animal, an additional fine of $500 can be assessed.

All Colorado law enforcement officers are authorized to shoot dogs that are chasing wildlife or livestock.

“Keeping wildlife safe from dogs also helps to protect dogs from wildlife” says Patt Dorsey, area wildlife manager in Durango. “We receive calls every year about dogs that have been injured or killed by mountain lions and coyotes.”

Dogs can also be susceptible to disease or injuries resulting from contact with smaller animals like porcupines, skunks, rodents and prairie dogs.

“Pets that are kept at home will have a longer and healthier life than those that are allowed to run free” says Dorsey.

Dogs are harassing big game animals in southwest Colorado this winter and Division of Wildlife officials are reminding pet owners to keep their animals under control.

At least two elk died as a result of being chased and injured by dogs near Durango and Bayfield; dogs have chased bighorn sheep in the Almont Triangle area near Gunnison; deer have been harassed near Creede and within the city limits of Durango; and deer and elk have been chased in the Montrose area.

Dogs chasing wildlife are a perennial problem throughout Colorado, but an abundance of snow in the southwest corner of the state is causing additional problems this winter. Deep snow with a crusty surface is making travel difficult for deer and elk. Unlike hoofed animals, dogs can run on top of the crusty snow and are easily chasing down the large animals, said Patt Dorsey, area wildlife manager for the Colorado Division of Wildlife in Durango.

“Some people think their dog would never chase wildlife. But when dogs see deer or elk they may act on their natural instincts and give chase,” Dorsey said.

During winter, deer and elk expend large amounts of energy to stay alive — they can lose 30 percent or more of their body weight during the cold months. When big game animals are forced to run they become exhausted and use up valuable calories they need to stay alive. In addition, many female deer and elk are pregnant and especially need to conserve energy. Pet owners can be fined up to $275 for allowing their animals to chase wildlife. A pet owner in the Vallecito Reservoir area was fined that amount after her two dogs chased down and injured an elk calf on Feb. 7.

Dogs observed chasing wildlife can be shot by law enforcement officers or landowners.

“Dogs chase wildlife year around, but it is more of a problem during the winter when deer and elk are vulnerable. It’s difficult for them to move through the snow and the nutritious green plants are gone. Deer and elk have been losing weight since November,” Dorsey said. “Keep your pets indoors, secured in a pen or under strict voice control.”

A Colorado Division of Wildlife officer shot and killed someone's pet dog that was harassing elk Thursday along the Animas River north of Durango.

Two people were walking three dogs, one belonging to a friend, along the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad tracks near Animas View Drive about 4 p.m., DOW spokesman Joe Lewandowski said. The dogs apparently were not on leash, he said.

When a resident of Animas View Drive who heard barking and yelling went to investigate, the dog owners asked him to call the DOW, Lewandowski said, because an elk had entered the river to avoid the dogs.

The owners called off their pets but the third dog remained, harassing the elk, which had taken refuge in water too deep for the dog to follow, Lewandowski said.

The DOW officer arrived and found nothing else at the scene except for the elk and the dog, Lewandowski said. He shot the dog and snagged its collar with a pole as the dog, a mixed breed weighing 30 to 40 pounds, floated away.

“It's the last thing we want to do - shoot a dog," Lewandowski said. “But it's the consequence that dog owners who don't control their pet face."

Dogs follow their instincts, Lewandowski said. Chasing game is one of them.
“We're charged with protecting wildlife," Lewandowski said. “Dog owners have to look out for their pets."

The DOW did not release the names of the dog owners or the officer who shot the dog.

The DOW and the U.S. Bureau of Land Management have alerted the public this winter about the pressure that people and dogs put on elk and deer that winter in the area. In February, the DOW reported that two dogs chased a cow elk and her calf across Vallecito Reservoir. The mother escaped but the dogs downed the young elk, leaving it with wounds that put its life in jeopardy.

In that case, the owner of the dogs was fined $275.

I 100% agree that myself, and likely others that are from more eastern areas are clearly not appreciating the situation some of you guys out west do. I've come to that understanding simply just reading hunting posts, the simple fact of being able to get more than a mile away from a road in itself is amazing to most of us! Here, you would be hard pressed to find areas remote enough or 'rural' enough to see these packs of feral dogs create the issues Oak points out. I understand that, and can see the point. The Tom situation in collared dogs, and then taking the steps to mail trophies back to owner I still standbye, but I understand the jist of this thread and will get back to enjoying the hunting posts. Lastly, Wisconsin just a few years back had up for a vote whether hunters should be allowed to shoot cats, and if I recall correctly, one of the determining factors in that law would have been if it wasn't collared?!?!!?! how random is that?? Needless to say, that law didn't pass.

We have dogs running deer, elk and moose all the time. Actually the Defenders of Wildlife, and Earth Justice support it. I wonder if you asked them if they though a domestic dog chasing wildlife should be tolerated as well as wolves are?

this thread reminds me of one DeerSlayer posted years ago.... ;)

I think the topic is geting morphed to people thinking someone is out bird hunting with a dog 300 yards in front of them and someone shoots their dog in a field. That, would/should recieve an A$$ whoopin. These are loose dogs running illegally out of season if I'm mistaken.

OK i have one to add to this. 3 times on my bear bait this year I had pictures of the same 2 dogs with no collars. Found out where they live, 1/2 mile away and that another landowner has the same trouble and approached the woman of the house and got an attitude. The one dog bit him twice before he left the yard to back in his truck. He called me Saturday and said he was in his stand and they ran by him. He got down, went to the house and complained and the woman said "you need to talk to my husband" who is never around as a truck driver.
Now, Sunday Morning in the dark I was walking down the road to cut into the back part of my land and got about 100 yards from that house and 2 dogs came at me on the road. I walked into the woods and one followed for 100 more yards. At That time i said "game on" and put down my bow and grabbed the biggest tree limb i could find and was going to play a little dog skull baseball. Everytime i went for a swing the dog backed off. After a few tries I called the dog a pussy and grabbed my bow and kept walking.
Question..... If i was on private land, in the dark, and being pestered by this dog do I have a right to bash it's skull in? I think so, chasing deer is one thing, going after a person is another. BTW, no collar and I aim to report it to the township as registration is the law.

OK i have one to add to this. 3 times on my bear bait this year I had pictures of the same 2 dogs with no collars. Found out where they live, 1/2 mile away and that another landowner has the same trouble and approached the woman of the house and got an attitude. The one dog bit him twice before he left the yard to back in his truck. He called me Saturday and said he was in his stand and they ran by him. He got down, went to the house and complained and the woman said "you need to talk to my husband" who is never around as a truck driver.
Now, Sunday Morning in the dark I was walking down the road to cut into the back part of my land and got about 100 yards from that house and 2 dogs came at me on the road. I walked into the woods and one followed for 100 more yards. At That time i said "game on" and put down my bow and grabbed the biggest tree limb i could find and was going to play a little dog skull baseball. Everytime i went for a swing the dog backed off. After a few tries I called the dog a pussy and grabbed my bow and kept walking.
Question..... If i was on private land, in the dark, and being pestered by this dog do I have a right to bash it's skull in? I think so, chasing deer is one thing, going after a person is another. BTW, no collar and I aim to report it to the township as registration is the law.

I have had a run in with dogs and no collars while hunting. I always just kind of shake my head and figure somebody will shoot them They have never posed a threat to me but I do carry a Glock 19 while bowhunting. Rest assured I would put a dog down real quick if it showed aggression towards me.

For the last ten years I have hunted about 300 acres that is surrounded by farmland and a few homes. We never had a dog problem until last year when my friends and I had literally dozens of outings ruined by three different dogs chasing deer. Mornings, evenings, it didnt matter. To make it worse the dogs wouldn't come when called. We harvested no mature bucks and saw way fewer deer during the season. Fortunately the dogs are gone this year and we have had no other issues. Did I shoot any of them last year, nope. Did I think about it, yup. When you have outing after outing ruined becasue some jerk doesnt have his dog on a leash or fenced, it is very frustrating. I am a dog lover and currently have two. That being said, I dont kick them out the door and tell them to come back tomorrow either.

I do agree it is not the dogs fault but the owner who is more at fault, but if you don't have time for your dogs and show them some affection they are going to run and that is a problem. I have 3 dogs also and they stay home where they should be. Get your dogs snipped or let them run around alittle and they will be less likely to run off and get into this type of trouble when your not watching them.

I have never heard the Jan rule for MN, but then again I never look at that. If I see a dog chasing a deer I will shoot the dog in a heart beat. People may say that's wrong, but I'm with OAK, don't let your dog chase deer and this is a non issue. If you cannot control your dog, it's not my problem, but I will solve it.

Last edited:
This is a tough issue, but I can tell you that I had two dogs blow my chance at a 160" whitetail buck here in MT a few years ago. I was so pissed off that i wanted to kill the dogs but what if it was another hunter that walked in instead of the dogs and spooked that buck? You gonna shoot him too. I had a dog growing up that was the best dog i've ever owned. She would chase deer all over the place, BUT she was only doing it for excercise and never would even attempt to kill one. In fact, dad and i found her chasing a coyote back and forth one day and coudn't figure out why she kept going back to the same spot. Went out there and low and behold she was protecting a newborn fawn that was surely to be lunch for that stupid yote. I agree they shouldn't be chasing deer but i promise anyone if they shoot one of my dogs for chasing a deer and i'm around, you had better expect some return fire....................know the circumstances! If you have some known deer killer that the owner can't control, thats a different story.

I run hunt tests and a few field trials with my 2 labs. Training gun dogs is my biggest passion behind spending time with my family. All the guys I hunt with are all in agreement that my dogs are very well behaved. My black lab is one trail away from being qualified all age. I hunt with him as well. This past year I took him pheasant hunting in eastern MT. While out on one hunt he jumped a nice mule deer buck. He has never not listened to my whistle nor ignored the collar.( I might add that I he only wears it when we are in a new area. He is not collar wise.) On this one time he did. He ran over 3 miles chasing this deer. He even crossed the Missouri while in pursuit of it. We finally found him 6 hours later by asking deer hunters if they had saw him and all the while apologizing to them. All I now is that if he would of been shot because of this one incident I would be probably hung for the things I would have done to the person who shot him. I have had him out hunting since and never has this happened. Dogs make mistakes like anything else. I do know that feral dogs are becoming a big problem, and they need to be controlled. However some times dogs go off of instinct rather then do what they have been trained. You may have your dog trained to stay in your yard, have him fenced, tied up, etc. But I guarantee that there has been or will be a time where it has or will escape and run loose, maybe chase a cat, mouse, deer, car, train, etc. etc. After all they did descend from a species that has to hunt in order to survive. Some may think that because of that it is ok to shoot them, but i have to disagree. I think that if you see the same dog multiple times, have made contact with the owner or made an honest attempt to find the owner, then it might be a good idea to put it down. But I think that one should ask questions first in this case and shoot second. Someone shoots my dogs because they did something out of the ordinary then they will have hell and high water to deal with because I'll be after them and wont stop till I find them!

I had a dog growing up that was the best dog i've ever owned. She would chase deer all over the place, BUT she was only doing it for excercise and never would even attempt to kill one.

Chase deer all over the place? Only for exercise? That is why so many guys are up in arms with dogs chasing deer. I don't promote it but sometimes it does happen. If I saw your dog and talked with you about deer chasing and you told me it was only for exercise I would probably punch you in the face then capture you dog the next time I saw it and take it in. If I couldn't capture it law enforcement would hopefully step in. That is do damn irresponsible. To me it says get your lazy butt off the couch etc. and take your dog out.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back