Dogs running deer!!

another worry for MT birdhunters & my unhumble opinion

for all you MT bird hunters who hunt with dogs-or without for that matter- folks hunting with your big running pointers, labs, whatever might want to contact your local legislator and ask them why HB 159 is not listed as "missed transmittal date". This bill,-no revenue attached-no fiscal note, repeals the statute which disallows the use of rifles for upland game birds. Does anybody want "snipers" with an .22-250 trying to pop the head a pheasant at 150yds (or more) when you and your dog(s), kids, and friends are just out of sight in a swale, ditch, etc. If there is something about the legislative transmittal break bill process that I don't get and this bill is indeed probably dead-great let me know. I along with a lot of others on this site live in MT-if we have dogs they probably run big. I keep a tight rein on mine, but you never know when.....Somebody shoots her for any reason had better have a satisfactory explanation-good luck-or they better be prepared to use their weapon on me PERIOD

jeez, I sound like some of the people that are writing MT legislation...although less severe punishment does apply--I'm not in the habit of using my weapon on other people. Not what I meant-I hope other canine hunting best friend enthusiast's understood. Apologies for tone.....

...sorry, couldn't resist but will do my best to take you seriously.:D

IMGP1049.jpg

Not condoning shooting Fido but dogs harassing deer can be a big problem to lease holders here.

Drake, now dadgummit, corn is higher than dogfood.;)

...sorry, couldn't resist but will do my best to take you seriously.:D

IMGP1049.jpg

Not condoning shooting Fido but dogs harassing deer can be a big problem to lease holders here.

Drake, now dadgummit, corn is higher than dogfood.;)

noharley...that position is what I think of leaseholders "here":D..that is my "serious side.

I had to post when I saw this. I think that if you mailed my dogs collars back I'd be going to jail. Although I'd be pissed if anyone let there dogs run during deer season, but I've seen our local "black dogs" (we have the golden dogs) when I've been out hunting birds. And I was actually proud of myself I never even raised the gun. These dogs are huge new foundland mixes so you can hear them running from a long ways off. I just put my finger on the safety and got ready kind of a little adrenaline rush.When you only weigh 120 pounds and you can hear something that big ripping through the woods right towards you it's a bit exciting! :) So all in all I don't know if I'd actually shoot a dog when I'm deer hunting, but I'm lucky most folks that live out here understand to keep your dogs in during deer season. I know I do!! We've walked up on deer in the summer with our dogs with us and they haven't chased them just stopped and did the stance.

There is no difference between illegals and dogs running deer. My book - they are both wrong. Lots of different opinions in how we should treat the problem.

Can't believe some of the comments on this thread.Really,grown men shooting dogs over a deer.I can understand if there was a problem over and over,or maybe if you were sure it was a wild dog, and could verify that.You can shoot all the dogs you want,but is it really worth it? Somebody will make you or your family pay.No deer is worth that.

Had my first run in with two dogs running a doe while turkey hunting this weekend. The doe ran up towards our blind with the dogs hot on her trail. Her back leg was broken six inches above the hoof and both rumps were torn badly. My dad and I walked over but a wide creek kept us from getting close. We yelled at the dogs and they turned tail and ran. The doe hobbled off to the south, and we went back to the blind. Two hours later the dogs ran by on the does trail. They also busted a group of 14 turkeys that were headed up the draw toward us. We talked to the landowner, tenant and a few other locals at the cafe. If your dog runs deer in Kansas it's probably going to get shot. Next time I see this I know what I'm going to do, and you never will.:D

Back