Male or Female Dog

• Male

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Female

Votes: 30 51.7%
  • Both - Doesn't Matter

Votes: 12 20.7%

• Total voters
Female. They don’t piss over everything. I’ve had a mixture of both and females always were more obedient. Just my experience.

I suppose if I was choosing a lab or something for hunting I might choose a male because he would be bigger.

I have females. I’m not sure there is a difference except for possibly a male hounding around looking for some female action.

I've only had male bird dogs, currently 4 of them, all in the house. One small female pit mix that my wife couldn't resist from the shelter. I've never had an issue with the males vs each other. The female is fixed and they all give her respect even though she's second to youngest. I'd not introduce another female, I've seen some nasty fights.
The males all seem to understand that they all fall in line under me.

Hunting wise I've had males that were better than average and just average. The average ones tended to do things the hard way and were more injury prone.

Old saying about dogs: “get a female to love, get a male to love you”
I’d never heard that, but I like it. I grew up with all females and now have my first male. The affection the male shows me and for me is far more, and often borders annoying. He never leaves my side, needs to be touching me at night while he sleeps, has to come on every car ride, cries and looks out the window when I leave.

My dad always had female German shorthair pointers. They’re wire-y as it is but there was one specific one and she was just a pepper. Full of life. My FIL has an oversized lab who is the most obedient dog I’ve ever interacted with. I’d probably still take a female though, they seem to generally be more tamable (or however you spell it).

In my limited lifetime experiences, males are less grudge holding and diabolical. Females are smarter and earn the name #$ches when they get their feelings hurt.

Have had 1female and 1man not at the same time. 2 different families both labs. Male was easiest to train, hand and whistle command. Loved to hunt

My grand pappy was a field trial guy who preferred males. So I grew up around predominantly male dogs, and that is all I’ve ever had for a pooch. I have some friends with phenomenal females though, so I think it’s just a personal preference. I’ve never neutered mine either. Can’t do it. Won’t do it. I can’t defend that decision against any good argument for it, and don’t have any reason other than I won’t do it. Grandpa never did and neither did any of his progeny. Oh, and Black Labs #4lyfe

I've had both my current female is by far the most obedient well behaved dog I've ever seen in my life. But I really don't think it matters if trained right.

Have had two female labs, one black & one yellow. The black lab was a mix & hands down had more natural hunting instincts than my pure bred yellow. Living in Phoenix won't have another black lab as the summers are far to rough on them with that dark coat.

As far as demeanor goes I choose females, from what I'd seen in the field, they seem to be more complaint. Both dogs were trained as non-slip retrievers for waterfowl hunting, that worked very well from duck blinds & jump shooting. Also made wonderful companions.

Angel's last duck hunt before she aged out...
IMG_0486(2).jpg

I was always told a female dog will be more protective because of mothering instincts, don't know if it's true or not, I've had both male and female dogs and really don't see any difference other than females tend to be faster learners.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back