Dogs and Chocolate

Saw a blue healer eat about 2lbs of chocolate hershey kisses and the aluminum wrappers once. Dog was all quilled up from a porcupine also. Anyway he was good to go the next morning.
Good to hear you dog is ok

From here: AKC chocolate and dogs
"In simpler terms, that means a very concerning dose of chocolate is approximately one ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight."

So, if your dog weighs 80 lbs, that means it would have had to eat closer to 80 ounces of chocolate...something doesn't add up here. Maybe your dog got into something else as well? Or is more susceptible for some reason?

If a dog ingests that much chocolate give them a 1/2 cup of peroxide until they puke it all up. Trust me....put the dog outside while doing this.

My old dog ate an entire plate of fudge at Christmas one year at my in-laws' house after my father-in-law put it out on a low coffee table. He got sick that night when he was sleeping in the guest bathroom, the grout in there is still stained from all his puke...

I've always heard that but never realized what it did. Glad he is ok.

Years ago our ranch dog drank some insecticide that leaked from a sprayer after finishing a field of alfalfa. He wasn't as lucky.

From here: AKC chocolate and dogs
"In simpler terms, that means a very concerning dose of chocolate is approximately one ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight."

So, if your dog weighs 80 lbs, that means it would have had to eat closer to 80 ounces of chocolate...something doesn't add up here. Maybe your dog got into something else as well? Or is more susceptible for some reason?
That's milk chocolate (can you really call that stuff chocolate?). Dark and bakers chocolate is far more toxic - like up to 10x more toxic.
Anyway, I'd imagine eating an entire bag of chocolate chips in one go is going to cause some GI issues regardless of species.

A couple years ago one of my settlers found and ate a half bound chocolate Easter bunny. They both were small enough that it could be deadly.

I have my sons peroxide the likely culprit. No chocolate. We then peroxide the 32 pound setter - chocolate stream. She was fine.

Retired neighbor lady told my wife the next day that it was great to see your kids out playing with the dogs. Wife chuckled and told her the rest of the story...

Glad your dog is doing better. Was never really sure if the chocolate poisoning was a myth or true. Obviously true now that I read through this thread.

If a dog ingests that much chocolate give them a 1/2 cup of peroxide until they puke it all up. Trust me....put the dog outside while doing this.

This is the truth. My wife’s corgi ate a xylitol gummy bear a few months back. I gave her peroxide, not knowing what to expect. She literally turned into a walking volcano. It was ridiculous.

I heard that grapes and onions are pretty bad, too. Worse than most chocolate.

That's milk chocolate (can you really call that stuff chocolate?). Dark and bakers chocolate is far more toxic - like up to 10x more toxic.

From here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine
"The concentration of theobromine in dark chocolates (approximately 10 g/kg (0.16 oz/lb)) is up to 10 times that of milk chocolate (1 to 5 g/kg (0.016 to 0.080 oz/lb)) – meaning dark chocolate is far more toxic to dogs per unit weight or volume than milk chocolate."

Not sure where semi-sweet chocolate falls in there, but this confirms that there are large differences in toxicity of different types of chocolate.

Back