Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Dog Food

wtrfwlhunter

I normally feed my dog Purina Pro Plan Sport, but with the recent complete lack of Purina foods I’m being forced to find a different option. Even other brands are spotty to find consistently now, I’m trying to settle on something and wanted to get others opinions on what they are feeding their dogs. In the last week I’ve had to get two small bags of Victor and Whole Heart until I decide what I want to go with. I really hate switching up food for my dog.

Don’t know how the mail is where you live but Chewy.com has pro sport at good price and free shipping. My pup was on sport until she went to the training but while she is at the trainer they are feeding her Victor. Whatever you decide you want to make sure it has the AAFCO gold standards seal or statement on the bag. The sports food are normal for all life stages, while other food should be for puppy, adult, or senior.

We have an 80 pound Labradoodle and she mostly eats just whatever we eat. Steak, hamburger, lots of eggs, especially the whites, as I often only eat the yolks myself. She gets a couple cans of sardines a week and just miscellaneous other meats just depending on what we're eating, maybe chicken or pork, but that's not as often as venison or beef. I don't trust any of the commercial dog foods. If I were going to buy dog food it would be one of the canned versions. The dry kibble just has all the nutrition cooked right out of it and is a waste of money in my opinion. There are some good and cheap options of real meat that can be bought at the grocery store or meat markets. We've bought turkey, neck meat if I remember correctly, for $2.00 a pound or a little less, for our dog. And liver is cheap as well and another great option.

I’m debating Inukshuk. They don’t have a 30/20 like purina but a 30/25 and it’s about $20 a bag cheaper then the purina

I normally feed my dog Purina Pro Plan Sport, but with the recent complete lack of Purina foods I’m being forced to find a different option. Even other brands are spotty to find consistently now, I’m trying to settle on something and wanted to get others opinions on what they are feeding their dogs. In the last week I’ve had to get two small bags of Victor and Whole Heart until I decide what I want to go with. I really hate switching up food for my dog.
We also chose the pro plan but We recently switched to this freshpet roll out of the fridge at the store- we don’t feed our dogs human food (table scraps) only like deer or fish maybe an egg or vegetable broth but this is as close as any dog could get to human food and a real raw diet that is store bought lol and they show it! He is a whole new dog after switching. I’m not shitting you if I was starving I might eat this stuff! lol it’s a little spendy but he’s shown so much more interest in eating, more energy in the day and better overall health. My Golden retriever has panosteitis, which has caused a hard limp and lame leg since he was around 6 months old- and this food made him act like a puppy again.! Hope this helps…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Pro Plan is scarce here too. Anyone know why ? Just part of the supply chain issue affecting other things ?

I feed the highest fat/highest protein kibble on the market.
25% Fat, 32% protein Red Paw PowerEdge 32k
Popular up here among long distance mushers.
2 cups a day for my 65lb pound working labs.

We feed all 4 of our dogs Pro Plan, and we also get our food from Chewy. Haven't had any interruptions in delivery yet, hopefully that continues.

For the price of that high falutin dog food you can buy whole chickens cheaper!!Boones Butcher Shop in Bardstown Ky, sells ground dog food for $1.50 lb. Its trimmings from anything from beef to chickens to deer. Never cooked!! In the winter I pick up road kill deer on the way home from work. The dogs love it. Dogs need the enzymes in raw meat and eggs that is cooked out of all commercial dog foods.feed them raw meat and eggs and you'll have a healthy dog.

Last edited:
Switched to Victor after some issues with eating habits. We order from Chewy with autoship.

Find a veterinarian that works their dogs and talk to them about nutrition.

My lab went from PPP to Victor and it firmed up his stools. I use chewys and it’s great. As for auto ship if you run low or have too much food you can change the order quickly. If you live in really warm climate you don’t want a high fat dog food on your porch for along time. It can go bad.

We have fed our labs Fromms since day one. First puppy, now adult gold. We have been very happy.

Products - Fromm Family Pet Food

https://www.frommfamily.com
+1 for Fromms Gold. Our dog "works" at a ski area so in the winter -- she tends to lose more weight we also give her elk scraps, eggs, cheese, and Stella/Chewy meal mixers so she doesn't go skin and bones. She's back to her soft summer body though so she's on her summer bikini diet :) We've also been adding a few squirts of fish oil to her food every day and her coat is nice and shiny.

I'm a pretty big fan of NutriSource. I've had good luck with Victor in the past. My highest maintenance (and best hunter) only tolerates Royal Canin at 90$ a bag 😫 The influencers are pushing Inukshuk hard.

Canidae is what my dog will tolerate it gives her a shiny coat. She gets just as much raw meats and eggs as she does the canidae. Lab going on 9 years and everyone thinks she is 3. First dog I've used canidae on and probably will continue with it on next dog as long as the next likes it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back