PEAX Equipment

Dog food

JEL

We have a 10 month old hunting lab that is currently getting Iams puppy food. After a bit of research I am not sure we want to continue with Iams when we transition to adult dog food. Wondering what others are feeding their dogs. Thanks in advance.

For most of her life my lab ate Nutro, more recently she has been eating blue diamond fish and to help lube her hips, better balance omega 3/6's. 13 and a half and still fairly active.

Back when I had a dog, I used Kirkland Nature's Domain Salmon & Sweet Potato...at the time it ranked pretty high on the Dogfood Advisor but I think they changed formulas and it lost a few points. The advantage is that is fairly inexpensive compared to other brands.

dog food

I went through this same thing. Fed my dogs Purina Beneful for many years. Read a lot of articles that claim Beneful had killed peoples dogs and there was a lawsuit out on it. I tried several High end dog foods like Blue Wilderness after doing a lot of reviews. My dogs wouldn't eat it. Settled on Purina One

Back when I had a dog, I used Kirkland Nature's Domain Salmon & Sweet Potato...at the time it ranked pretty high on the Dogfood Advisor but I think they changed formulas and it lost a few points. The advantage is that is fairly inexpensive compared to other brands.

I used to feed this, and it's pretty good food. It really surprised me though, when I looked at the Purina Pro Plan Sport (recommended by a hunting buddy) and did a per day cost analysis. It was actually a little cheaper to feed than the Kirkland brand.

You can buy this off Amazon for about $13 cheaper than you can your local Big R.

Pro Plan and Pedigree I think is what my wife buys. Had real good luck - happy with coats, teeth and all.

I have had really good luck with Native dog food. I work my dog pretty hard all year round, but it is nice to have the option to vary the level of food you are feeding to match their activity level. I pretty much feed my dog level three year round, but it is nice to have the option.

Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20

I think this is what I used as well. It used to be called Pro Plan Performance. I tried a few other "High End" brands with my lab, but this is the one that he seemed to do the best on.

Every dog reacts a little different to each blend of dog food. Best to try a few of them out and see what works for you.

I've also used the kirkland brand with my Golden, and do not have any complaints with it. That one did not sit well with the lab though. He always had loose stools with it. My golden loved it though.

Last edited:
Speaking of dogs, vets are idiots, I don't know what it is about them, but they are all on different pages.

My 5 year old lab was acting very strange last week, wouldn't sleep, was obviously very nauseous and in some pain. Excessive drooling, even for an 80 lb lab.

2 ER trips, 2 blood tests, an x-ray and $1000 later, and finally the 3rd vet diagnosed a skin infection. Prescribed me some $40 Amoxcacillin and the pup was 100% in 3 days. He started laughing when I told him the gamut of BS ideas the other 2 vets had suggested.

The good news is that his blood, x-rays, joints and teeth were "pristine," and I attribute that to feeding Diamond Natural grain free until he was 2, in response to your original question. Sorry to hijack.

Just a simple FYI, but my son works for a large dog food manufactuer, can't mention the name due to confidentiality. Anyhow, you would be very surprised how many different brands are produced and packaged in just the plant that he works in. I'm just saying,

look at the ingredient list and pick a food that has a protein as each of the first 3 ingredients. if it has rice or another grain in the first 3, it is just being used as a filler and you are missing out on nutrition. additionally, don't pick one where the first ingredient is a "meal"...chicken meal, fish meal, etc..."meal" mainly consists of water weight.

Pro Plan Performance. I have had the best results with this formula. It sometimes is on sale, and I can always find it at various stores. My dogs retain weight, have shiny coats, shed less, tough pads, and firm stools. With that said, my best recommendation is to find a formula that fits your dogs needs, your budget, and something you can readily find.

Pro Plan. Performance 30/20 during training, field trial, and hunting season. Back off the protein during the winter. I've tried many feeds. Pro Plan is consistent with quality and dependable.

My nephew is a K9 officer, former Marine K9 handler, and now teaches search and rescue tracking/trailing seminars around the country. We have discussed food a lot and he has also experimented with a wide variety of food only to return to Pro Plan.

I know this is old but pro plan focus puppy is what my walker pup gets he loves it and just a bit of info i read somewhere that 96 of the top 100* AKC All Breed Champions are fed Purina® Pro Plan and so i determined that's what id try and its been great. once he turns a year i will switch to the pro plan sport. couldn't be happier he maintains weight even when running him hard.

My dog is super picky and gets tired of one type of food quickly and wont eat it, so we cycle through the various taste of the wild flavors in 15lb bags.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back