Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Dog food survey

Dogs will gorge themselves on whatever is available and literally "eat themselves to death!"
Well, Paws, all I can say is that there was no gorging or dying going on around our house, and the dogs were in excellent shape--event the vet was pleased and called them "ideal specimens." So either a) their excavations in my back yard kept them fit, :D or b) that $30/bag Iams dog food was too rich for them and they only ate it when absolutely necessary.
;)

Yeah Darren; as a rule they must be trained to a particular feed. Once they figure out it is food they will eat pretty much what they need. Ifthey really like it though; "Look out!" I had a neighbor that would leave his dogs alone for days on end. I could tell how long he would be gone by the size of the dog food pile he would pour out! :eek: We watered them daily and fed them after lthey ate their rations up in the first day or two. Iams is a really good food; especially for you city guys that have to "pooper scoop"! :D

If dogs are keep hungery, and only feed enought to keep them barley fit, then they will over eat if given the chance. If they have a ready supply of food whenever they want it, they will eat what they need when they want, and not over eat.
( never mind the fact that my yellow lab weights 80 lbs, hes just big boned, ha ! )

Eagle Holistic @$60.00 a bag...
Feed twice a day. My dogs get this food, clean water every day, and nothing else- ever. No skin problems, no health problems, and shit that bounces 4 inches when it hits the ground.
As an aside, there are, in fact, some dogs that would almost eat themselves to death- I've got one now. This is a trait of dogs (like mine) that are trained that they have 5 minutes to eat, or the food gets picked up. Dogs that are "free fed" rarely run into this, but can also become rather portly or, even worse to me, choosy eaters.
BTW, an opinion or two from one that used to sell dog food...
If you're dog is doing well on a food, DON'T SWITCH TO SOMETHING ELSE. Too many folks want to try something new, which usually creates problems. If your dog is doing fine on Iam's, leave them on it- to hell with the HSUS stuff. Also, Lamb and Rice food isn't the best- chicken protein is more easily absorbed by dogs than any other. Lamb-based chow was simply developed as a way to easily tell if a dog had an allergy to chicken, and has somehow morphed into the top-of-the-line food. Finally, there's no real disadvantage to chicken by-products that I can see. These usually include gut, feet, beaks, etc. ("lips and assholes"). Nothing wrong with that if you're a dog- it's still good, readily-absorbed protein. Think if Fido found a dead partridge beside the trail he would just take the breast meat?

Purina green bag, 2 cups in the morning 2 at night during the summer 4 in the morning 4 at night in the winter, and Fresh water morning and night, my 3 year old golden is a big lapdog, i swear to you he only listens to me when i am aroundand ocassionally he gets a milkbone if i find out my mom bought some for her dogs

Yukon Hunter, could you please post a "pic" of that shit that bounces when it hits the ground! [slow mo if possible] :D

FYI, do what you will with the information provided. First of all, would you feed your children BHT or BHA (Causes cancer) or antifreeze? Would you raise your children strictly on a fast food diet? I would like to think the answer to those questions would be no. Well that is exactly what you are doing to your pets. If you think Iams and Science Diet are premium dog food, you are gravely mistaken. If you think they are no better than any of the supermarket dog foods, well you are right. They are all crap. I did see two foods lissted above that are good food, and that is Eagle and Diamond. Yes price is an issue but I will give you an example. I can pay $40 for a 40pound bag of Science Diet and give my golden 2 cups twice a day or I can pay $42 for a 30 pound bag of premium food and give my golden 1.5 cups a day, and have less dog poop to scoop. I also know that I will not be giving my golden food that is preserved with cancer causing agents or antifreeze. I also wanted to point out that cheaper may actually cost you more, in more ways than one. This infromation I am only passing on to all of you to do with it as you will. I spent most of last weekend searching information about dog food and was shocked at what I found. There are some magnificant foods out there for your pets that will cost about the same or a little more than what you are presently paying and will end up saving you money, scooping and perhaps help you pet to lead a longer healthier life. Have any of you noticed how many dogs have died of cancer in the past several years or how many dogs have tumors of late. I don't know about you, but it seems very common to hear of cancer in dogs anymore. With the preseving methods being practiced, it is not a wonder. Look at the labels of your dog foods, most of the foods listed above have corn meal or soy meal as a first ingrediant. For goodness sake, you have a dog not a cow, so why are you feeding your dog fodder?

Elkhunter, ok...so tell us what you feed your dog. I feed Iams because I thought it WAS a premium food. It's $28/40lbs at Costco, so the price is premium, even if the food is not. My Golden gets 3 cups once a day, and has been very healthy, even my vet comments how healthy she is for being 12 years old. My GSP gets the Costco brand simply because it's cheaper than Iams and the other so called premium foods, and I have heard it is a good food for the price ($15/40lbs.) I recently heard about Diamond dog food and went to the local feed store as it was listed on their website as a dealer, but they didn't have it and had never even heard of it. Are you saying Diamond and Eagle are the only decent foods out there? What have you been feeding your new pup? Oh, I should also say that my dogs get all my leftovers, every night. I figure people food has got to be healthier and safer than any dog food made.

[ 02-28-2004, 11:59: Message edited by: RogueWarrior1957 ]

The soft O roy in the little bags he gets this in the morin. And then at supper I Make him a blow of what we eat. after all he is one of the family. And he is Picky what he eats. He loves freash fruit and vegs.

Nut; ya just got to have a talk with her about putting "sex" into everything! :rolleyes:

Washington Hunter,there are many dog foods on the market, and not all are bad and not all are good. Nutro is another very good dog food and here is a comparison of Nutro and Diamond. The first few ingredients in nutro are chicken meal,ground rice,rice flour,corn gluten meal,rice bran,beet pulp,wheat flour, poultry fat,natural flavors, and sunflower oil.

Diamond large breed has chicken,chicken meal,whole grain brown rice, whole grain brown rice, wheat flour,rice bran,beet pulp,chicken fat,egg product,flaxseed.

Diamond definitely looks better when looking at the ingredients and also has a better price. The nutro large breed doesnt have enough meat and has alot of grains. Also nutro lists poultry fat instead of chicken fat in which diamond uses which is a better. Poultry fat can mean many more things than chicken fat.

Vets get there information from the same place that we do, the companies promoting the food, it is called advertising. Vet clinics were thought to have the best foods available, the premium foods. That is what they were told and that is why they sell it. Some years ago, those foods were premium foods, but economics throughout the years has changed that and now those so called premiums are no longer very premium, only a premium price. We have all been schooled to listen to our vet, after all it is he/she that knows. Ever wonder why the vets sell these certain products? Again it is economics, about a 40% profit on the sale. The dog food companies love this, it is advertising for them and the vet gets repeat customes to boot. Now I am not trying to say that vets know nothing about dog food and nutrion, just that they may also need to be re-educated about dog foods.

What one feeds their pet may also depend on availability. Certainly it is harder for a person who lives in the country or small town to have the same foods available to them as one who may live in a city.

My only intention of this thread was to make everyone aware that we have all been misinformed about pet foods for many years and that many pet foods can be dangerous to our 4 legged friends. I often wonder if my best friend, who we had to put to sleep because of the big C disease, was in any part relatted to what we fed him for a diet, based on what our vet has told us and based on what the sales reps and friends told us.

BTW Washington Hunter, I now feed my golden Prarie by Nature's Variety.

Does your vet tell you No Table Food? Probably, that is less dog food that he will sell, and many people food is toxic to a dog. Like anything, table scraps can be OK or not OK and if given to your dog, should be given with care. Bad foods to give to a dog include

Chocolate
Celery
Nuts
Grapes
Tomatoes
Onions
Raisins
Macadamia nuts

Here is a link about people food and dogs if you are interested.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1939&articleid=1030

You got me! Here's the ingredients for Beneful:
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, sorbitol, tricalcium phosphate, water, animal digest, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sorbic acid (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, dried peas, dried carrots, calcium carbonate, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, zinc sulfate, glyceryl monostearate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.
http://www.beneful.com/products/original_nutrition.aspx

I have no idea what 90% of that stuff is, but you're right, corn meal is Numero Uno. It's still protein and ain't bad, but it's not animal protein, either. Fascinating.

Elk is correct. BHA and BHT have long been used in dog food as preservatives, but have been shown to be carcinogens. Vitamin E with mixed tocopherols, on the other hand, is actually an antioxidant. If you have a choice of giving your food something that is also used to preserve rubber, of something proven to be healthy, why would you choose the first?
As for the table scraps, there's a simple reason we avoid them... we strive to give our dogs a balanced diet, and the dry food we use is balanced out of the bag. My Shepherds aren't working dogs (at least, not anymore), but we still treat them like they are.
My "dog swamii" sells plenty of dogs to the RCMP, and does movies and TV shows with his dogs all the time (heck, one of mine was in the movie "Intensity"), and feeds the same way we do.

Wow Nuts is bad for them.

So then maybe I shouldn't give him peanut butter and jelly anymore. boy I think that would kill this poor dog for he loves peanut butter. he get that 2 times a week here.

And then when my Dad comes over he brings the dog a hand full of nuts. this has been going on here for a long time.

The vet said this dog in good health not to change what I am doing. I even told her what I feed him.

We dont give him any kind of chocolate.

Vipe peanuts ain't nuts. They be legumes, more like beans! They do not contain tanic acid; like nuts! :D Good show YH!! :D

Synthetic preservatives include butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT), propyl gallate, propylene glycol (also used as a less-toxic version of automotive antifreeze), and ethoxyquin.

Many nutritional problems appeared with the popularity of cereal-based commercial pet foods. Some have occurred because the diet was incomplete. Although several ingredients are now supplemented, we do not know what ingredients future researchers may discover that should have been supplemented in pet foods all along. Other problems may result from reactions to additives. Others are a result of contamination with bacteria, mold, drugs, or other toxins. In some diseases the role of commercial pet food is understood; in others, it is not. The bottom line is that diets composed primarily of low quality cereals and rendered meat meals are not as nutritious or safe as you should expect for your cat or dog.

Animal Digest - a powder or liquid made by taking clean, undecomposed animal tissue and breaking it down using chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis. Animal digest does not contain hair, horn, teeth, hooves, or feathers, except in unavoidable trace amounts
Sorbic Acid – chemical or antimicrobial preservative
DL-Methionine - an amino acid necessary for growth and protein synthesis, depending upon the ingredients in the food it may or may not be necessary to add this amino acid

Darren, I hope that helps you a little. Most of the other stuff listed is sythetic vitamins and some I could not find.

Viperess, peanut butter is fine. Most dogs love the stuff and it will not hurt them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back