Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Dog Bite While Packing Bull Out

This seems to be getting worse, especially with the "fur baby crowd"
Leave your dog in the truck or at home. Tired of seeing dogs inside every store, at restaurants, in hotels, etc. Travel with your dog? Great leave it in the truck until AFTER YOU HAVE CHECKED IN.
I better go take my medicine, this subject gets me going....
Me too ... and it seems every household in the valley has at least two dogs. They are everywhere and constantly underfoot downtown and/or at crowded events. My wife fits me with a virtual leash we we attend a parade or some other crowded event, because invariably I get pissed because some dog is licking my leg or trying to trip me ... as the clueless owner tells all what a wonderful dog he or she has and how they love people. The dogs seen downtown in the summer appear to wish they were home under a tree instead of with some nimrod dog owner who thinks they're so cool for having an ugly dog!

millerkiller77, you got me going ... I'd better go find a cold Miller Draft and chill! :mad:

That’s a bad deal, wow. Don’t fault the OP for being ticked.

Some real gunfighters come out of the woodwork on these threads. I mean it’s Jackson Hole…you guys must like threats and being front page news more than I would. I’m not kidding, I 100% guarantee both would happen if that dog gets shot.

Edited to add: Not that there aren’t times to be lethal, but there’s some figuring that needs to be done.

Last edited:
If you were under attack but didn't think your life was in danger, I would try not to spray it, I would lean toward beating or shooting it. Sounds counterintuitive, but why risk getting bear spray on your meat over someone's poorly behaved dog. I know no one can think that fast, but I have a couple experiences being attacked by a dog and I despise those experiences.

I'm actually pretty forgiving, and if someone's dog runs up on me I give them the benefit of the doubt because 9 times out of 10 dogs are friendly, and because I am not holier than thou and have had my dog out of my control before.

That said,I used to walk every evening in the subdivision in which I live. I quit because of people's dogs. I can't walk the 2 mile loop without some incident. I had two incidents where I injured dogs that attacked me. Thought I killed one because it just layed on the side of the road whining after I gave it the boot, but I guess it got up eventually. The last one, I called the owner and told him that had it been my daughter and not me, I'm not sure how it would have played out. I told him he had to keep his dog in his yard. He responded with something like, "I'm not gonna chain my dog up." I told him he was on notice for a dead dog and a lawsuit because my kids walk to the bus every morning. He ended up destroying the dog after an incident with another person in the subdivision.

I am sorry you had to deal with that. It sucks. It's really kind of amazing how prevalent it is. Nearly everyone has a story of some aggressive dog making them feel unsafe. The aloofness of their owners seems to be a near-universal trait too.

Last edited:
This seems to be getting worse, especially with the "fur baby crowd"
Leave your dog in the truck or at home. Tired of seeing dogs inside every store, at restaurants, in hotels, etc. Travel with your dog? Great leave it in the truck until AFTER YOU HAVE CHECKED IN.
I better go take my medicine, this subject gets me going....
My very aggressive therapy emu goes everywhere I go. If you don’t like it you can kiss my lily-white behind.

J/K. This subject gets me fired up too. Some recent anecdotal favorites: last summer a dude running his dog off leash into an area full of bison in Yellowstone. We stopped him and he’s all “It’s ok, the dog is a ‘service’ animal.” Figured I’d just let nature or the park rangers sort that one. Last winter, on a few occasions, saw them being run off leash into elk wintering area near town where dogs are supposed to be totally off-limits for a few months while the elk are trying to survive. Totally disregarding the huge sign at the trailhead saying “NO DOGS ALLOWED.”

I would never keep a dog that would bite someone unprovoked... Should have covered him with bear spray, then maybe the dog would think twice.

You’re that scared of a dog ?
You’re that scared of a dog ?
I am not scared of a thing on this Earth. Death comes but once. That dog's right to live to possibly harm anyone in the future ended when the teeth made unprovoked contact. Some states restrict lethal force to an attack on the person so if your dog is being chewn up then you are supposed to enjoy the show. I fundamentally feel an obligation to protect my loved ones and my property. Let LEO or a jury sort it out. I did not start this problem by having a free-range animal capable of hurting or killing a child or a person.

Not too long after I got the horse pictured in my avatar, we were riding a river bottom that gets a little traffic from all sorts of people, more than a few with their dogs.

Anyway, a lady had her doberman off leash. When the dog saw my horse and me from about a hundred yards away, it came at a dead run towards us. Since the primary job for my horse is field trialling dogs, they just can't be fearful of dogs, at all. So in the moment, I had the horse pick up the tempo, and we drew a bead on the dog. I would have ridden my horse straight thru that dog, but it had an epiphany at about ten yards. I guess an 1100 pound horse bearing down on it made an impression.

I think that I am the only person in our little sub division that keeps their dogs on their property. Dogs wander all over, fortunately none are aggressive.

My wife was walking our dogs and charged by an aggressive lab (of all things), which had charged our neighbor before. Bearspray stopped it in its tracks. I think animal control eventually got it as we didn't see it around for long.

I was running home from football practice in HS and a collie got me on the thigh. Perfectly silent. Gravel road as we lived 3 miles out of town. So scared it off by hitting it with rocks.

I'm a huge dog fan. Love me a dog, but I would of dumped the bastard and then gave the owners a lashing of shit. I know it's not the dogs fault, but it's gonna happen again and probably already has before.

You'll go to jail if you shoot the owner or I'd go that route.

What surprised me was when I told my wife the story(she’s a pretty non violent person), the first thing she said was “you should of shot it, what if our daughter was with you or another young kid encounters that dog.” And like many of you have said, “it probably wasn’t the first time and won’t be the last time that dog bites someone.” She’s a lot more experienced with dogs and animal behavior than me. Thought it was interesting. I personally agree with the bear spray, don’t want to be on the 5 o’clock Jackson news. “Elk hunter shoots Jackson hole dog while out on Saturday morning stroll.”

I shot one that came after my ex and our dogs that were on leash on a FS road through the tract our cabin was in. 3 dogs come off a porch and it was all D could do to hold those GS of ours. I was right behind in my truck and stopped and grabbed my 94 and the pitbullmutt was not backing off and no one from the cabin came out til they heard the shot. I kept aimed at the next one that tried.
The sheriff showed, the FS cops showed and those folks were given tickets for dogs off leash in NF, at my insistance.
They never came back to the cabin. Good.
Every dog in this county just runs free. Except Rio. He is under control. I never walk him in public places or near others. He is rarely leashed except when out in the world.

I don't give aggressive dogs passes anymore. Been bit trying to get a pitbull to release his jaws off my gsp while hiking. Been charged by pitbull after it escaped from the owners front door and put a boot in it's face while trying to get my concealed handgun out but winter gloves and a coat while holding a leash is a no go. I like bear spray but would not even hesitate to shoot an aggressive dog. Yeah I'll be sued. But have a old guy that visits the neighborhood dog park lost his finger do to a pitbull.
Freaking idiots love their dam pitbulls can't tell you how many of them say it's the sweetest dog ever. Have had encounters with other aggressive dogs but not nearly as much as pitbulls the other dogs mostly just bark and growl.

Back