Dog Bite While Packing Bull Out

We have a local public trail system where we live and have encountered unleashed dogs a couple of times. I didn’t have anything but a trekking pole the first time and that kept them off me. The second time I was better prepared with a can of freeze + P OC spray. I gave him a snout full when he tried me a second time and it would have probably been more humane if I had just shot the poor thing. The cops later did exactly that. I imagine bear spray would have sufficed just fine.

Not too long after I got the horse pictured in my avatar, we were riding a river bottom that gets a little traffic from all sorts of people, more than a few with their dogs.

Anyway, a lady had her doberman off leash. When the dog saw my horse and me from about a hundred yards away, it came at a dead run towards us. Since the primary job for my horse is field trialling dogs, they just can't be fearful of dogs, at all. So in the moment, I had the horse pick up the tempo, and we drew a bead on the dog. I would have ridden my horse straight thru that dog, but it had an epiphany at about ten yards. I guess an 1100 pound horse bearing down on it made an impression.

I think that I am the only person in our little sub division that keeps their dogs on their property. Dogs wander all over, fortunately none are aggressive.
I watched a pair donkeys deliver the most horrific death I have ever seen to a dog once.

No, I've never had an encounter like that.

Coming out of the forest hauling raw meat would attract any dog's attention. Bear spray would have been funnier than getting bit.

Glad you're okay and congratulations on the Bull!

Aggressive off leash dogs drive me crazy.
I have two large dogs, a border collie x and a pitbull. both are friendly to humans. The pitbull is friendly to dogs. The border collie x is friendly to some dogs (would love to know how he makes that selection). We walk them on leash through the neighborhood most days.

About this time of year the snowbirds start to show up in AZ and their little white shit dogs that weigh about 10 pounds run around everywhere off leash, growling barking and sometimes biting at anything and everything.

So far I’ve been able to keep them separated when this happens but I do worry about one of my dogs having enough and biting back. It would only take one bite. Nice dogs or not, they are still animals.

A couple years ago I was walking down a road in Montana back to the truck after hunting and a lab came out of a cabin front yard and kept trying to bite me. I just kept bopping him with my trekking pole as the idiot owner screeched at him from the front porch. The thought to come get her f’ing dog didn’t seem to cross her mind until I told her exactly that.

Last edited:
Between this thread and the mixed powder one, it's easy to see who the John Wayne's, aren't. :) you guys are afraid of 25lb healers? You didn't grow up around cattle ranches and it shows. Almost broke the skin? Haha.

I tried to punt a Great Dane once when it went for one of my dogs on leash. Pretty sure I broke a rib on the dog. The owner wasn't happy, but I said I only kicked it once, he'll probably be ok. Pretty sure @Wyodeerhunter (banned) stabbed and kill a pit bull with his tekker pole one time.

Last edited:
I walk daily in my neighborhood and always carry pepper spray. Too many people flagrantly disregard their responsibility to keep their ridiculous dogs under control.

Not long ago, my wife and I were on a walk, and a pit bull burst out of a house and came running toward us, teeth bared and ready to rip a limb. My wife cowered and turned away, bracing for impact. I sprayed that idiot dog, painting him red in the face. He instantly stopped growling and just sat there, confused. His owner came out, scolded the dog, and asked what I sprayed him with. I told him and walked away as the dog started running circles in the yard.

As we finished our walk that morning, we saw the dog’s owner driving down the street in a hurry. His hair was sopping wet, and he rolled down the window and yelled out, “Have you ever sprayed yourself with that stuff?” I said, “Nope, I haven’t.” He said, “That stuff burns! You could have just used water!” I said, “You could have just controlled your dog.”, and then I walked away. I imagine this man was hosing down his dog and in the process, got pepper spray on his hands and face, hence the wet hair from hosing himself down.

I would hesitate shooting a dog because of all the consequences (police involvement, investigation, etc), but I would never hesitate spraying a dog. It’s incredibly effective, and you can walk away after dowsing idiot dogs.

I’ve always said pistols are useless weight.
How does this have anything to do with the story? Ive read the original post 4 times and dont see how having a gun changes anything. Frigging soapboxers.

Would a pistol have been useless weight to this guy?

Last edited:
How does this have anything to do with the story? Ive read the original post 4 times and dont see how having a gun changes anything. Frigging soapboxers.

Pistols are useless if they aren't used. I suspect that's the message.

I don’t think you did anything wrong. The only thing to do different next time would be to get MENACING when he started getting close. There aren’t too many dogs out there that don’t fear a human with the appropriate body language.

I stopped on the highway outside of Pinedale once when I saw a black lab and a Chesapeake in the ditch. I parked about 100 yards away and approached them, not realizing they were strays that were feeding on a dead deer carcass in the highway underpass. The black lab stayed back while the big Chesapeake came at me like a bear that got interrupted on a meal. I instantly realized my mistake, and with him about 50 yards out and closing I picked up a big old rock and raised it over my head, fully prepared to smash it in the dome if he closed the distance.

When he got about 20 yards away I let out the meanest, nastiest sound I could muster, and I was fully prepared to wreck that dog, and it knew I wasn’t screwing around at that point. It hit the skids like an animal in a cartoon, turned tail, and bailed back to the deer carcass. I’m pretty sure if I’d have stood there watching rather than getting mean, he would’ve attacked.

My point being that dogs read people real well. I’ve been around dogs, and large dogs so much I just don’t fear them. If they wanna screw around, they’re gonna wish they didn’t. And they can tell. But they’re also good at calling your bluff. I always tell my wife, quit asking them to do things. You need to show them through your body language that your not playing. They can tell if your not prepared to follow through. Reading people is one of their strongest traits.

I agree with not shooting, especially since it sounds like the owner was downrange. The last thing you need is to accidentally hit the owner with a bullet. Bear spray is a different story. I’d consider that collateral damage if the dog’s owner got a face full in the process of spraying the dog.

That got the adrenaline going

Bear spray for the dog and a $&@ slap on the owner! No excuse these days for that kind of behavior👎🏻.

I would have an issue with shooting someone's dog But I also have a big issue with dogs not on leash in public
Tammy walks miles every day on public trails near us and has had many a run in with dogs off leash she carries pepper spray

The owner should have got shot ... with bear spray. Probably a blue heeler. Those damn things are scatter brained.
camping over the weekend with the horses and it was a heeler that rushed me one morning. empty campground and they park beside us and let the dogs bail out, we knew how the rest of the trip was going to go. stupid heeler was in our site 1/2 dozen times, then rushed me once when i was away from the site, swift kick to the chest and his owners found a leash. i'm thinking a can of bear spray might make it in our trailer next year, i wouldn't blame someone for spraying my dogs if they did something dumb like that so feel it's a fair tool to have along

Got nipped by one of those breeds while backpacking before as well. They are a herding dog so it's what they do. I was pretty pissed, regardless.

My Bracco has a very ferocious bark when she's caught unaware. Scares the pants off some people, but I haven't figured out a way to stop it. One time a dude walked by our camp, and she ( on a long rope ) didn't like it. He picked up a bowling ball sized rock and got serious, she bolted pretty quickly. As the owner, that was a sickening situation because I understood the man's fear, but also know my dog.

I'm a dog owner (labs) but will not tolerate aggressive dogs.
I've sprayed 2 in the past 30 years.
I carry Sabre pepper gel which is a couple of oz when walking my labs.
Very effective.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back