Dog Bit By Moccasin In FL

Frazier

Hot days for 2 weeks straight got the snakes out early this year. My cocker got bit on the snout by a moccasin yesterday. Was running the bush hog behind the house and the wife drives up on the golf cart with the kids and our dog, who’s face was swollen twice it’s normal size.

Overnight at the vet with fluids plus antivennom and she is going to pull through! She is 5 this year and the best dog for dove and ducks I’ve ever had. Also is great with the kids.

Glad she’s ok but scary as I’ve never seen one that close to the house... but that’s Florida for you.
DCC2936A-22E5-40E6-8A60-88533E60E76F.jpegC26E5C93-3550-4E27-B30D-012E9D5FFB6D.jpeg

Seriously I have nightmares about this... glad she is ok looks like a total sweetheart

Our Westie got bitten by a baby rattler a couple of years ago. Little bugger is all kinds of nosy and was poking around the wood pile. He and we got very lucky. Glad yours is good to go, dogs are worth a lot more than most people.

Our dog got bit in the snout by a copperhead. Happened while we were gone for the day, and she was pretty much over it by the time we got home, except some swelling and the telltale puncture wounds. Doc said if she was running and playing, she would probably be ok...and it was too late for any other treatment anyway. Made a full recovery!

My last lab was bitten three times by copperheads. By the third time, we had the drill pretty well figured out; just gave her a Benadryl and didn't bother even calling the vet.

My wife sent me this while I was at work one night. I freaked out thinking the worst that the dog poked his eye on something. I rushed home from work but thankfully it was only a bee sting and swelling went down within a few hours. Very scary stuff when they are family members. I’m glad your dog will pull through.

While getting our dog vaccinated last year we learned they now have a vaccination for rattlesnake bites. Our dog travels with us in the back country so we added that to his vaccination plan.

Glad she is ok. I know they make vaccinations shots for rattle snakes bites. Do they for moccasin?

I would definitely talk to the vet. Both rattlesnake and moccasins have a hemotoxin so it should be effective. My spoiled rotten Lab is just our fuzzier kid. Anything that helps. Especially when you are hours from anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back