Dog attack

If this occurred before then it won't be the last. You'll likely lose friendship with your neighbors but a dog that is repeat violent offender and is a dead offender in my books. At first I would ask for it to be euthanized and it wasn't resolved then it would be from the law to make it happen.

Sad situation, but yes, the dog needs to be put down. No questions asked. If you'd have been a young child or an elderly person, the outcome could have been fatal. Honestly, I'm surprised the owners are even still thinking about it. Seems to be a no brainer to me.

Coming at this from an insurance perspective. Hopefully you received proper medical care for your wounds. That ER bill should be submitted to your neighbors home insurance company as a claim against their personal liability coverage. That claim will trigger a policy review upon renewal. The insurance carrier will ask all the questions they need to continue to insure the home. In some cases, some carriers will have a home owner sign an exclusion for dog biting claims vs a straight non-renewal. It's rare. Even more rare, a carrier may provide coverage if the dog has attended "AKC Canine Good Citizen" and a 5 year no bite history before they will write a home with a dog that has a bite history. Multiple bites, human or otherwise, will likely result in the insurance company demanding the dog be destroyed or the home insurance will be dropped. Your claim will drive all of those events.

I’ve had issues with my neighbors dog recently. It has attacked my 2 labs in my yard unprovoked on 4 occasions One time my son who was probably 18 at the time got bit breaking them up. He was luckily not hurt but still pissed me off. The last time my oldest lab had to have a wound stapled shut. The neighbors were very remorseful but I told them I was calling animal control as they clearly weren’t able to control their dog. They understood. I wish I had called every time that the attacks occurred and maybe something would have gotten done about it. My biggest concern was that it could end up being any kid in our neighborhood the next time. These are people that we’ve been neighbors with for 20 years. I know my situation isn’t the same as an actual human attack but you still might consider making a report.

Sooo I heard if you boil hot dogs with cigarette innards (the tobacco part) then a dog eats it it will die. If you want to salvage the relationship with your neighbors that could be a good route. 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

If the dog has done this before, why didn't the neighbor tell you BEFORE coming over? I would tell them I want the dog put down, hell, it bit you in YOUR yard. Pretty bad neighbor IMO, so who cares if they don't like you anymore since they brought over a dog they knew might bite you or someone else.

This is very unusual behavior for that breed. That dog has a mental problem. If you were playing with it and then it attacked you, first thing I would say is do nothing and keep it penned up for a couple of weeks to watch for rabies symptoms. If it is destroyed DO NOT SHOOT IT IN THE HEAD. They can check brain tissue to confirm rabies. Rabies treatment for you is not the terrible regimen it once was so maybe consult a doctor about that option. Even if it isn't rabies, this dog is clearly not right. Mental disease can effect any animal, not just humans. I saw a Horse Whisperer episode where that guy and his staff spent a couple of days working on a gelding and finally told the gal it was no use. That schizo bugger was good for nothing but glue. As I recall someone got hurt badly trying to get it back in the trailer. An expensive bred animal too, not a mustang.

Last edited:
Add a minimum file a report with the sheriffs department animal control. That way if the dog is given up instead of put down, there will be a history of being a biter. Otherwise, it can unknowingly get rehomed at the shelter, and do this again.

You are obviously a real gentleman, but the dog needs to be euthanized. It's only a matter of time until a child is attacked and scarred mentally and physically for life.

The ship has sailed on putting it down unless the owner is willing to do the right thing. You were supposed to kill it. Double-check your local ordinances but most places if a dog comes onto your property and growls at you, it dies. I really hate these kind of situations because it's not the dog's fault it was not bred well nor properly handled. It's not a copperhead's fault it tries to bite you neither. The proper outcome is the same.

It is easy to say now, but had you asked before I'd have told you to introduce the dogs on neutral ground and much sooner. A 2yo dog is just coming into adulthood and is very concerned with establishing dominance. Y'all put it into a situation where something like this was as likely as possible.

You really do need to be smarter than a dog. I make that statement to make a point, not insult.

The dog can be handled by its owners but as far as being around others it is a cull. Sometime around a year or two most strong willed dogs will buck you. I find putting them down flat and lying on them while growling and biting an ear is the least violent way to do reinforce dominance. To maintain easy going dominance with a strong willed dog, carry it around like a baby on a regular basis. It looks funny with a 70# bmc but it maintains dominance and has no downside I have seen.

If they ever get out of line I make them feel their world is coming apart. I'm not going into detail on that, but however you do it don't actually injure the dog. That's a line not to be crossed not only because it is inhumane but also because it ruins the dog for future use. If you have to do such any kind of often you have a cull.

People really need to stick to companion breeds from proven breeding unless they have a clear need for anything else.

Their response was they would either get it training or rehome it. I told them rehoming just passes the problem to someone else. They said they are calling trainers today.
And it causes issues with civil suits if the dog bites someone down the line

Our neighbors ( who we get along well with) have 2 dogs. A 2 year old Australian Shepard and a Grif puppy. The Shepard barks at our dog across the fence whenever they are both out. The wives decided they should get the dogs together to play to see if it would stop the barking. Saturday they came to our yard. At one point I was playing with all three dogs then left the yard. When I came back in their Shepard attacked me. Latched on my chest, shoulder then arm until I was able to give it a good kick. Very unprovoked, vicious and aggressive attacks. I ended up with lots of punctures and bruises. Turns out the dog has bitten several people. My question is can this dog be rehabbed? My inclination is to encourage them strongly to kill it. Lucky it grabbed me and not my wife or it would already be dead.
You showed more restraint than I would have. I would’ve probably beat the dog to death with whatever I could find close to me, or walked right back into the house and grabbed a gun.

In my opinion, it’s the dogs personality. Around 10% of our population have a personality disorder. They are the hardest mental illnesses to deal with because it’s part of the persons make up. You can’t change the dogs personality.

I thought that too but it would have switched you from being the victim to the aggressor in a new incident with a firearm. That could go very very badly for you as now you’re in a felony bracket.
That would certainly be the outcome here. On the other hand, if it is clubbed to death, you could always claim it was an accident, i.e. hit by a car. Pretty hard to make gunshot wound fly as an accident.

Agreed, Straight Arrow. In that position I think you need to protect yourself as well as others. My first call would be to a lawyer, second would be to the police.

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back