Does Camouflage Really Work

shrapnel

I have a complete set of almost every piece Sitka makes. The fit and function is superb, but does it work? I honestly don’t know how well their patterns work, but after seeing (or not seeing) my sons in the timber with their Kuiu gear, I am a believer in that pattern.

If I didn’t already have such a bunch of Sitka, I would have Kuiu...

BCCEEE4E-3628-41BA-823C-AEA31CF21B55.jpeg

Howdy. I use KUIU in a Vias pattern. It is too bad I lost(via an old broken cell phone image) a picture I had of me holding a 6 pt bull where I am backed up close to some scrub oaks. You couldn't see me until you took the time to really examine the photo. Yep, Vias is a great pattern of colors that lets you disappear into the terrain. But mostly, it is our movement that busts us as hunters! No camo works well under movement where many pairs of eyes are watching you. ;-)

ftkfzh383z251.jpg

Does camo work, 100%

Do prey species all rely on visual cues and/or color when identifying predators… no.

I tend to think because our senses of smell and hearing are so comparatively poor we tend anthropomorphize and overestimate the important of vision in animals.

Does camo work, 100%

Do prey species all rely on visual cues and/or color when identifying predators… no.

I tend to think because our senses of smell and hearing are so comparatively poor we tend anthropomorphize and overestimate the important of vision in animals.
5 Internet points for use of the word anthropomorphize. :cool:

Camo clothing works, but I’ve also taken animals not wearing camo, depending on species, camouflaging scent, and movement is much more important

The deer in my profile pic was taken wearing a white T-shirt this year. From a deer stand. But it was just before dark and it was warm out so I didn't have my jacket on at the time. I held still and he didn't see me.

In my opinion, camo works well, but if you're sitting still and not moving it doesn't make much of a difference. I would say it helps you get away with movement when it comes time to draw the bow back or shoulder a rifle. It can make the animals look past you as you're blending in.

Back