Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Does a sun shade reduce light transmission?

Lots of info and catfights on shooting forums...cliffnotes; glare reduction/no light gathering impediment. (3" to 4" shade)

That's what it seems like. I have an email in to Vortex right now. Wonder if they will respond. I have a few pipelines I hunt that look West in the evenings so I leave mine on. Never had any trouble in the woods with light transfer during legal hunting hours with my Viper.

So I am fairly inexperienced with them, however I used on one my new Vortex Viper this season. The ranch I hunted had strict shooting lanes and I had to shoot into the sun. Looking downrange in my binos really sucked, but with my rifle scope and the 4" sunshade on it, I didn't even notice any glare. As for reducing light transmission, I did not notice anything out to 400 yards that made me think it was interfering. I don't have any hard data for you, just the above experience.

If you need light transmission, chances are the sun isn't going to be an issue. Usually that is a dusk or dawn issue. But, they just screw on don't they? mtmuley

If you need light transmission, chances are the sun isn't going to be an issue. Usually that is a dusk or dawn issue. But, they just screw on don't they? mtmuley

True and yes they do.

Sooo... If light transmission is an issue, unscrew the shade. That's what I would do, but I don't even own one. mtmuley

Thanks guys. This question was asked because of an argument.. I don't have any light transmission issues. The guy I was talking with said he carries it with him in case he needs it. He didn't want to leave it on because he said it hurt his scopes "light gathering". I of course called BS. He also thinks that a 30mm tube aids in "light gathering" also soo.........

Your pupil dialates as adjusts to looking through a scope. Can change the perceived brightness. A sniper taught me to drape a jacket over my head when taking a prone shot. Was amazing after a few seconds as if the scope gained supernatural capabilities. That was shading the eye not the other end, though.

Back