Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Do you use walkie talkie for hunting?

syfurian

I have reason several experiences shared by hunters on how they got lost in the wood and to track their way back becomes difficult and some shared how life saving a walkie talkie is. If you've ever used one, kindly share your experience. It might be of help to me and others.

I use a garmin inreach, you can use it to satellite text anyone in your phone's address book and if you so choose it will attach your GPS coords to the text.

IMHO a much better option especially if you are in a limited service area.

My experience with walkie talkies is that their range blows, messages are garbled, and if you are deep in the back country they are basically useless.

I use a garmin inreach, you can use it to satellite text anyone in your phone's address book and if you so choose it will attach your GPS coords to the text.

IMHO a much better option especially if you are in a limited service area.

My experience with walkie talkies is that their range blows, messages are garbled, and if you are deep in the back country they are basically useless.
And if its windy they are pointless

Use a walkie talkie with my dad as usually I will go hunt somewhere out of sight from him maybe up to a mile away and check in with it. We have a SPOT for sending messages to people back home.

I use walkie talkies sometimes is states where legal. A few of my buddies and I have the Garmin Rhinos while they are not great in every application but they can be invaluable in areas we don't have cell service which is many of the areas we hunt. I also like having the gps in addition to my Onx on the phone. I have heard elk down or deer down through a garbled walkie talkie more times than I can count and it has saved my ol' bones many extra trips packing out critters if I can call in the calvalry, even if they are only a mile or 2 away.

Last edited:
Watched my buddy whiff a bow shot on a nice bull when the earbud wire got tangled up in his bowstring. That made me turn off my radio when I was in critters and do a check in at midday. Signal range is pretty crummy for sure.

We have some that we take but unless you are on the same side of terrain features they aren't very useful.

Use a walkie talkie with my dad as usually I will go hunt somewhere out of sight from him maybe up to a mile away and check in with it. We have a SPOT for sending messages to people back home.
I do this too but we don't turn them on until we think one of us shot!

I use walkie talkies sometimes is states where legal. A few of my buddies and I have the Garmin Rhinos while they are not great in every application but they can be invaluable in areas we don't have cell service which is many of the areas we hunt. I also like having the gps in addition to my Onx on the phone. I have heard elk down or deer down through a garbled walkie talkie more times than I can count and it has saved my ol' bones many extra trips packing out critters if I can call in the calvalry, even if they are only a mile or 2 away.

My son and I also use Garmin Rino's , It is really nice to help keep track of your hunting partners, every time you key the radio your position is updated on your partners GPS.

I use them with my son to keep track of him when we split up. Lost me an elk 2 years ago when he called to tell me it was foggy. 😂

We use three sets. I have one set with about 10-15 mile range for when we hunt separate drainages. I have a set of motorolas we use when hunting the open land. The third set have some sincere range from my gypo logger buddy. We pick the set for the terrain we are going to hunt. Our usual plan is to hunt 2 or 3 areas from a central dispersal site where we leave the horses. It helps us co-ordinate getting back to the ponies and if someone gets something then a request goes out to bring the horses and supplies to hurry the retrieval. They are life saving in the least and generally increase our efficiency.

The rules are for limited contact until needed. With imminent elk contact - turn the radio off.

Most of my hunting areas have no cell coverage so the radios are critical for safety.

No, but I do bully people that use walkie talkies.

Everyone needs to just look like an idiot using hand signals that nobody remembers after 15 minutes.
There is one hand signal that everyone usually remembers.... :p

I used walkie talkies back in NY but that was short range (less than a mile) and usually went down to the truck to meet the others in the group and never turned the things on. Out west, yeah when funding allows I will invest in a Garmin or similar device.

We use the Garmin Rinos, good GPS and ridge to ridge signal is a solid 5 miles. We use check in times during the day, no chatter. Best feature is being to locate the other members on the map. Anytime they key up they drop a pin so you can see where they are.
Use the in reach in Alaska as I’m not trying to communicate with anybody nearby.

We've used radios for years with great luck. We use them to keep tabs on each other(my Dad and I) while treestand hunting in places with no cell service.

but they can be a
life saver at times.
I used to use the Garmin 530 hcx (radio, gps) however since becoming an InReach person w/ OnXMap on my phone, no more.

I once turned to a channel and was amused by the conversation. Something to the effect,
"Hey, bumped into Johnny! He's w/ some nice rack beauty now! Told him to head your way so be on the lookout!"

Haha! My buddy got on and replied, "oh ya? What drainage is, "Johnny" in? I'd love to meet a new friend as well..." then started laughing his arse off! Haha!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back