Hunting in Harmony?

Visiting Hunter

Pursuing your passion without sacrificing your relationships and responsibilities

Hoping to start a discussion with other hunters to share their tips and experiences on how they manage to enjoy their hobby while also fulfilling their obligations to their family, work, or other commitments. Hoping to encourage others to reflect and share on the challenges. Also the benefits of hunting as a passion, and how it affects their personal and professional lives.

I think we all can agree time management can get tricky with life, or atleast certain times of life. What are some things that help you?

My wife wants the game meat, knows hunting is my passion, and doesn’t say anything about my hunting 4-6 weeks a year. When I’m not hunting I pull my weight around the house with projects, laundry and being a father. My focus is my family the rest of the year and everything revolves around them. I don’t go to the bar, watch tv, or go hang out with the guys other than a trip to the range every couple of months.

My wife wants the game meat, knows hunting is my passion, and doesn’t say anything about my hunting 4-6 weeks a year. When I’m not hunting I pull my weight around the house with projects, laundry and being a father. My focus is my family the rest of the year and everything revolves around them. I don’t go to the bar, watch tv, or go hang out with the guys other than a trip to the range every couple of months.
I don't watch tv. But I do find myself on the maps maybe a bit to much. That's great having a supportive partner too. My wife likes to come out for the shorter hunts. We got 2 young boys. I don't go to the bar either.. sometimes me and the guys will go out fishing or hiking. But that's about it.. it just seems like every now and again you get a whirlwind of things that need attention... then get spread out.. tired... maybe it's just me. I make sure to have everything done and the wife is happy and help out continually around the house.. but sometimes Il find myself on the mountain feeling guilty for being away so long.. spending the time away.. my kids are little so its gonna take a few before they can hike miles in with me but that's pretty fun taking them little guys out they had a blast last season.

Get your family involved in all your outdoor activities. This helps a lot in their thoughts when you are not there.
You may find they want to go as much as you do.
I completely agree. My father-in-law is really the one who got me into the backcountry.. he's a hoot to hunt with. My kiddos are 3 and 4 so we did some for sure these last few years... but it's fun and they sure seem to enjoy it. We primarily eat elk and deer. Honestly butchering is some of the best times going over the hunts and listing to his stories.

I married a tomboy. The only issue is I learned to never tell her where a gobbler roosts. You wouldn't think a woman would go kill your turkey 2 weeks post partum but you'd be wrong.

."just go for a walk, baby. Get some fresh air. I'll watch the baby." Booom!

Last edited:
Pursuing your passion without sacrificing your relationships and responsibilities

Hoping to start a discussion with other hunters to share their tips and experiences on how they manage to enjoy their hobby while also fulfilling their obligations to their family, work, or other commitments. Hoping to encourage others to reflect and share on the challenges. Also the benefits of hunting as a passion, and how it affects their personal and professional lives.

I think we all can agree time management can get tricky with life, or atleast certain times of life. What are some things that help you?
Do you shoot a 6.5 Creedmore?

For the most part I try to be thoughtful in my planning and make it clear that my hunting will take a back seat to family. However, my wife is very resistant to doing things for herself, so I encourage her to pursue activities that she enjoys. When she is being good about that she can see that my hunting is the same thing. When she is caught up in a self-sacrifice routine, my hunting looks like me being selfish. It is important to make sure she is getting time to do things that she likes.

For the most part I try to be thoughtful in my planning and make it clear that my hunting will take a back seat to family. However, my wife is very resistant to doing things for herself, so I encourage her to pursue activities that she enjoys. When she is being good about that she can see that my hunting is the same thing. When she is caught up in a self-sacrifice routine, my hunting looks like me being selfish. It is important to make sure she is getting time to do things that she likes.
Really for the most part she is good with the long trips and everything. I'd of course if family matter popped up last min would cancel if needed.. same my wife is very resilient to picking up hobbies or doing things for herself. So she's going to Florida in April for a week. That's been her thing for the last few years her and her mom go to florida

Last edited:
Having an understanding spouse is the most important thing IMO. If she doesn’t understand my desire to hunt, then I don’t understand her desire to bake or knit. Kinda like she mops my floors and I cut her grass. She bakes me peach cobbler and I make her deer burgers.

We also do enjoy the time spent away from each other to an extent. We’re introverts by trade so spending a little bit of time separated is good for our marriage. But, we always do a vacation every year and make sure it doesn’t pertain to hunting.

I got a good one in that respect. She supports everything I do about hunting. Questions a lot of what I do but she’s the first one next to me on any bad decision. Just like when she spent $500 on baking good. No idea why she did it but she was happy and I was next to her cleaning cookie sheets.

Having an understanding spouse is the most important thing IMO. If she doesn’t understand my desire to hunt, then I don’t understand her desire to bake or knit. Kinda like she mops my floors and I cut her grass. She bakes me peach cobbler and I make her deer burgers.

We also do enjoy the time spent away from each other to an extent. We’re introverts by trade so spending a little bit of time separated is good for our marriage. But, we always do a vacation every year and make sure it doesn’t pertain to hunting.

I got a good one in that respect. She supports everything I do about hunting. Questions a lot of what I do but she’s the first one next to me on any bad decision. Just like when she spent $500 on baking good. No idea why she did it but she was happy and I was next to her cleaning cookie sheets.
Sounds like me and my wife. It's true what they say sometimes "absence makes the heart grow fonder".

My wife enjoys hunting but not on the same level as me a few days deer hunting around home and she's happy. One thing I try to do is make sure I'm spending the same amount of time and money on family vacations or less often a couples vacation as I do on my hunting adventures.

Last edited:
Staying single. My kids are grown n away now but they hunted w me. My ex did too. My new girl doesn’t freak about me being gone but straight up im considerate for sure and that’s key in any relationship and I’ll do whatever it takes off season. Peak rut, gobbling season. Don’t bug me. If I can consider everything someone wants off season and the couple months of the year I want some time to be a man, they gotta go. Too many guys imo at least round here are girly men who’s wives expect them to put them beyond first 360 days of the year. Sometimes we get to be first too.
I’ll give you a for instance. Couple years ago a friend wanted to rifle hunt. Never did it before. Killed a doe first morn. She made him come home. Next day, he had more doe tags plus a buck tag, she wanted to sleep in. He had to be there w her. What!!!!!!!!! He’s up at 3-4 every morn so he got to look at his phone in bed all morn til she got up.
This past season he wanted to moose hunt. Had a trip planned 2 years and bought all the supplies. As it got close she told him he couldn’t go. I woulda went n told her to pack and be gone while I was away. He treats her beyond good all year and that’s how she acts? If I call to make plans with him for a morn turkey hunt he can’t talk if she’s w him. He’s gotta go in the bathroom n text like he’s cheating on her. If he responds in front of her she sits on the bed arms crossed pouting he said. Shoot, I’d let her pout somewhere else. Bottom line is it’s consideration but that works both ways. If you didn’t pick the right one, lay her off

Staying single. My kids are grown n away now but they hunted w me. My ex did too. My new girl doesn’t freak about me being gone but straight up im considerate for sure and that’s key in any relationship and I’ll do whatever it takes off season. Peak rut, gobbling season. Don’t bug me. If I can consider everything someone wants off season and the couple months of the year I want some time to be a man, they gotta go. Too many guys imo at least round here are girly men who’s wives expect them to put them beyond first 360 days of the year. Sometimes we get to be first too.
I’ll give you a for instance. Couple years ago a friend wanted to rifle hunt. Never did it before. Killed a doe first morn. She made him come home. Next day, he had more doe tags plus a buck tag, she wanted to sleep in. He had to be there w her. What!!!!!!!!! He’s up at 3-4 every morn so he got to look at his phone in bed all morn til she got up.
This past season he wanted to moose hunt. Had a trip planned 2 years and bought all the supplies. As it got close she told him he couldn’t go. I woulda went n told her to pack and be gone while I was away. He treats her beyond good all year and that’s how she acts? If I call to make plans with him for a morn turkey hunt he can’t talk if she’s w him. He’s gotta go in the bathroom n text like he’s cheating on her. If he responds in front of her she sits on the bed arms crossed pouting he said. Shoot, I’d let her pout somewhere else. Bottom line is it’s consideration but that works both ways. If you didn’t pick the right one, lay her off
No my wife isn't like that at all... if its a last min thing she might have me bring a kiddo or something to ease some pressure, but she has never been mad she just kinda gives me shit more or less for being gone on the 2 week trips... I mean I just couldn't last min plan a big trip with my kids anyway... but the short weekend stuff is no biggie, if she had some chores she wanted me to get done, she knows they will still be done if not that weekend she asked by monday or Tuesday night depending on how big of project.. she's cool as long as I get it done and don't push it off untill she has to ask again... but my wife isn't like that... she's let's me go... I'm just kinda asking what else can I do lol I have more plans I want to do within the next few years and that will definitely be taking a bit more time, multiple states, and another country with her dad. It helps her dad was doing the same stuff so she knows what it means to him... and she knows it's more of a down the line in a couple years plan... but its always good to be ahead of the curve... just kinda seeing if there's anything in here that some guys are doing that I might not be and could be... I feel like I'm pretty respectful and making sure my wife's needs and wants are met.. but its important to me she knows she's respected and not taken for granted either...

If I cut hunting out too much I’m miserable, and I’m terrible to be around. That was the first two years of marriage, and my wife would never want to go back to that.

If I hunt too much I can’t enjoy myself. I miss my family and I just want to be home helping out w/ the kids.

One Nov day I had a jump on a sleeping buck that I had wounded 2 weeks prior (he seemed no worse for wear). I stalked in to bow range but had no shot angle. I knew I could back out and come at him from slightly uphill. Problem was, I had committed to our anniversary dinner that night, and I only had time to pack up and leave. I left the buck sleeping. No regrets.

Every family is different, so I don’t think there is a formula. An understanding spouse is the most important. If you’re gf/fiancé isn’t, then RUN.

One of the many things I appreciate about my wife in regards to hunting is she challenges me to push through exhaustion, disappointment, setbacks, etc. After a big miss, or a wound loss, or when I just want to sleep in, or the weather sucks, she has no sympathy. “Get your butt out there and fill the tag. Quit feeling sorry for yourself. You’ll thank me later.” Those days I followed her advice are among my most memorable hunts.

Ideally, your partner adds value to your hunting lifestyle, and isn’t seen as a hindrance or competition.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back