Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Do you surf the Net while at work? Then read this.

Elkhunter

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=400 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Employees to be billed for personal Net use?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=400 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>By Munir KotadiaZDNet Australia February 1, 2005, 9:13 AM PT

<!-- EDS original posted Tue Feb 01 09:13:00 PST 2005 -->

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=m2><!-- Talkback will go here Add your opinion
--></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=400 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

Employees who surf the Net at work could receive a bill each month for the cost of borrowed bandwidth and wasted time if Australia-based Exinda Networks' URL- and bandwidth-monitoring system takes off. <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = NEWS /><NEWS:LINK url="http://www.exinda.com/index.htm">Exinda Networks</NEWS:LINK> says it's developed a system that allows a company to monitor exactly which Web sites are visited by each employee and how much bandwidth has been used--in terms of a cash loss to the employer.

<!-- begin GIF refer to IM story --><!-- end GIF refer to IM story -->Con Nikolouzakis, director of Exinda Networks, said the URL- and bandwidth-monitoring system was designed to ensure that employees are held responsible for the cost of misused bandwidth and time.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

"If you use your office computer for Internet banking and booking theater tickets, you're fine. If you choose to use it to download illegal software, research personal interests or other non-business uses, then you could be issued with a 'please explain' and a bill for the costs of the bandwidth and time you wasted," Nikolouzakis said.

According to Nikolouzakis, access to certain sites can be blocked, and bandwidth abusers can have their bandwidth throttled, which would significantly slow that individual's access to the undesirable Web site. Additionally, the employee could be presented with a bill.

"Theoretically, individual employees could be charged a fee for non-business-related Internet usage on a monthly basis, if an employer wanted to <NEWS:LINK id=5379953>get tough on staff</NEWS:LINK> abusing their Web access but didn't want to block them altogether," Nikolouzakis said.

However, not everyone agrees that charging employees for personal bandwidth is a good idea.

James Turner, industry analyst for security and services at Frost & Sullivan, said that charging employees for personal bandwidth usage would stir up a hornet's nest because bandwidth is relatively cheap and employees get a "morale boost" from having some freedom to surf at work.

<!-- STORY TEASE --><!-- END STORY TEASE -->"Most employees sign an acceptable-Internet-usage policy when they join a new company," Turner said. "After that, there is a level of trust between employer and employee. Companies like Computer Associates already have software that can measure an individual's bandwidth usage, so the technology isn't new, and across the market there is not a huge demand."

However, Turner did agree that there is a need for employers to spot the employees that regularly abuse the system.

"The tiny minority of bandwidth abusers are most likely downloading illegal material (such as pirated movies)," Turner said, "and their employers need to be able to detect and stop this for antipiracy reasons. No company wants to be involved in trafficking stolen goods, and storing illegal digital material is an extension of this."

http://msn.com.com/2100-9588_22-5558818.html?part=msn&subj=ns_5558818&tag=msn_home&GT1=6084

The only thing new about this thing is the billing part. If you have the net at work, unless you work for a teeny tiny place, they are most likely key-stroking you at least.

Not too long ago I heard from a Buddy of mine. He had been sending steamy emails while at work. Only problem was, one of his superiors was a friend of his girlfriend - not the person he was sending notes to. :eek: I hear she was not amused. :rolleyes:

Watch your step boys. We like to keep all our fun posters around. ;) :)

I own my own business but for 30 years ran Arizona locations for a couple of companies. As the local boss I viewed it as my job to know if someone was playing too much but viewed the net usage as a small perk that I could allow. Then the world changed and we got corporate tech nazis who were major nurds with a bit of power and they began installing spy links to corporate so they could monitor my employees. I was pissed off and quit at 52 and bought a small business. Now I can screw around on the net if I feel like it. I hate the spying and restriction of freedoms that made the workplace a creative and happy place to be. I don't think IR people, accountants and attornies have benefitted our lives much. JMO.

No problem I'd be the one doing the billing. Wouldn't be billing my self much. I guess that makes me a computer tech nazi, LOL. I can tell you guys how to beat it if you need to.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back