Caribou Gear Tarp

Do You Sight In At 100, 200 or MPBR?

What Range Do You Sight In At?

• 100 yards/meters

• 200 Yards/meters

• Maximum Point Blank Range

• Other/What's MPBR?/Why Sight In

Results are only viewable after voting.
I always flip flop and can never make a decision. I have a 300 wby and want to sight in at 200 yards. Should be flat enough to be good at 100 yards.

Flat is a relative term pretty much meaningless. If your shooting a cartridge that can start a bullet down an 8" tube, never rise more than 4" above the center of the tube and fall only 4" at 300yds, the cartridge is exceptionally flat. Then again if you start the same cartridge through a 20" tube and it never rises more than 10" from the center of the tube and God only knows where it will fall 10" below the center, at mid range the bullet will fly over the target and at some point before exiting the 20" tube, strike under the target! Sorry but I can't call that flat!

I haven’t heard of any good reasons for a 100 zero for western hunting. Care to elaborate?
l have heard a lot of long range shooters zero at 100 and just dial for everything. that kind of makes sense but l gurantee you that l would forget in the clutch.

I voted for MPBR. That being said since I switched to the Leupold CDS system I find the load I want and order the turrets. Depending on round it will either be a 100yd 0 or a 200ys 0. I have several of these scopes on different rifles and they have been spot on. Before this I would figure out my MPBR and sight in my rifle for that and of course shoot to verify. I had a couple rifles that I would hand load different rounds for that I would keep the MPBR for on my rifle so I wouldn't forget in the heat of the moment.
l'm in the middle of doing this as well, it's tough to break 15 year old habbits.

I don't know that I'd accuse my 6.5 Creedmoor of being a flat shooter next to my .257...but at least it is pretty darn accurate.
Hope ya don't misunderstand this, I have a strong preference for 6.5 cartridges. But I was reading a post by a guy a few days ago praising his 6.5 Creedmoor and he cme up with one of the great things about the Creedmoor was the bullet's weren't affected by the wind! Some of this stuff really get's crazy!

I voted for MPBR. That being said since I switched to the Leupold CDS system I find the load I want and order the turrets. Depending on round it will either be a 100yd 0 or a 200ys 0. I have several of these scopes on different rifles and they have been spot on. Before this I would figure out my MPBR and sight in my rifle for that and of course shoot to verify. I had a couple rifles that I would hand load different rounds for that I would keep the MPBR for on my rifle so I wouldn't forget in the heat of the moment.
I voted Other for about the same reason Redman posted.

For most of my hunting years I sighted my scopes 2-3" high at 100 for a MPBR out to 300 or so yards. I now have Leupold scopes with CDS turrets.

I had a custom CDS turret made for my .300 Weatherby and it has a zero stop at 200 yards which is a little over 1" high at 100 yards.

All of my other rifles with Leupold CDS turrets are zeroed at 100 yards, and I have range verified the CDS settings at 200, 300, and 430 yards and have painted a white dot at 100 yds and a thin white line for those distances on the top of the turret caps. Unless I'm in timber or thick brush, I hunt with the turret set at 200 yards and the scope power set no higher than 6X.
sGljnqll.jpg

MPBR has worked well for me for a lot of years.

I know it's kind of the trend for a while, but I'm really not interested in having to worry about range my target and twist a dial correctly before settling in for a good shot. Too many steps for my taste.

I voted Other for about the same reason Redman posted.

For most of my hunting years I sighted my scopes 2-3" high at 100 for a MPBR out to 300 or so yards. I now have Leupold scopes with CDS turrets.

I had a custom CDS turret made for my .300 Weatherby and it has a zero stop at 200 yards which is a little over 1" high at 100 yards.

All of my other rifles with Leupold CDS turrets are zeroed at 100 yards, and I have range verified the CDS settings at 200, 300, and 430 yards and have painted a white dot at 100 yds and a thin white line for those distances on the top of the turret caps. Unless I'm in timber or thick brush, I hunt with the turret set at 200 yards and the scope power set no higher than 6X.
sGljnqll.jpg
This is a really good idea. This will be my first year in the field with a CDS system. With a little thought you could actually blend CDS and MPBR! This is a rough way of doing that. I’m still on my first cup of coffee, but am going to create a plan for this on my 300.

everything I own are 200 yard 0 except my 6.5-300 ( 300 yrd 0) because it shoots laser beams, and my Marlin 338 because its my brush gun.

I use Burris with ballistic plex. Sight it in for 100. Guess or range the distance, consider the wind and use the correct hash mark. Really pretty simple. I do verify three hundred so if 1 or 200 is off a little, its not really a big deal. I'm not shooting critters with 2" vital zones.

Ya know the bottom line on this is if how you zero works for you, it's just right!

I'm in the 200 yard camp, but my reasoning may be different. I've generically stuck with the 1/3 second rule for all my hunting shots. I.e. how far my bullet will travel in a 1/3 of a second. 300 yards for my 30-06 is about it. 200 yard zero means cross hairs will get it done.

In all of the conversations about long range shooting, nobody seems to mention bullet flight time. A critter can move a good distance in 1/3 of a second.
I have pushed this rule in some circumstances, but not by much. 350 being about my longest shot, but that was at an animal with it's head down eating.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back