PEAX Equipment

Do you need an super duper magnum for elk?

Sure you do! I've heard about it over and over, it takes at least 3-4 shots too, that's why you have to carry one of those 10-round bullet wallets packed with finger-sized cartridges... :LOL:
I have a friend who really does carry two full boxes (40 rounds) of 300 win mag when he hunts. Crazy.

The amazing thing to me here is 174 yards with iron sights. The XTP has the BC of a brick. Impressive shooting. What kind of rest?

Did the XTP shed its jacket? I'm using cast or Deep Curl/Gold Dot now.

I've done deer with .357 Mag, 44 Mag, & 45 Colt. Never an elk. Took my cow this year at about 50 yards with 7mm RM. I think the .357 would have done the job if I had.

The Hornady website lists this bullet starting out at 1250 fps and 548 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle (8 inch barrel). At 100 yards it is at 1072 fps and 403 foot pounds of energy. The table doesn't list stats for any longer range but at the rate the bullet sheds energy from muzzle to 100 yards I would guess at least another 100 foot pounds of energy lost is a safe assumption. So, conservatively, that bullet is bringing 300 foot pounds of energy to the party. (and likely much less as the bullet loses energy exponentially and not linearly)

I am not quite sure why you felt compelled to post this. Do you condone or otherwise approve of such anemic ballistic performance as adequate for humanely and ethically killing elk? Can we expect a performance report using slingshots next?

Am I the only one that sees drivel like this and wonders how many animals took a bullet in the guts before one was finally hit "right" and recovered?

The Hornady website lists this bullet starting out at 1250 fps and 548 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle (8 inch barrel). At 100 yards it is at 1072 fps and 403 foot pounds of energy. The table doesn't list stats for any longer range but at the rate the bullet sheds energy from muzzle to 100 yards I would guess at least another 100 foot pounds of energy lost is a safe assumption. So, conservatively, that bullet is bringing 300 foot pounds of energy to the party. (and likely much less as the bullet loses energy exponentially and not linearly)

I am not quite sure why you felt compelled to post this. Do you condone or otherwise approve of such anemic ballistic performance as adequate for humanely and ethically killing elk? Can we expect a performance report using slingshots next?

Am I the only one that sees drivel like this and wonders how many animals took a bullet in the guts before one was finally hit "right" and recovered?

do you feel better now?

he’s not shooting factory.....if you go back and read the first post you’ll see the impact velocity.

I’ll be out after every critter I can chase with a handgun for as long as I am able.

Last edited:
The amazing thing to me here is 174 yards with iron sights. The XTP has the BC of a brick. Impressive shooting. What kind of rest?

Did the XTP shed its jacket? I'm using cast or Deep Curl/Gold Dot now.

I've done deer with .357 Mag, 44 Mag, & 45 Colt. Never an elk. Took my cow this year at about 50 yards with 7mm RM. I think the .357 would have done the job if I had.
He competes at distances farther than this shot with irons.

he shot prone.

the 357 158 xtp holds together quite well from my experience.

Last edited:
do you feel better now?

he’s not shooting factory.....if you go back and read the first post you’ll see the impact velocity.

I’ll be out after every critter I can chase with a handgun for as long as I am able.
Ahhh, the 400ish foot pounds of energy completely changes the likeliness of a humane harvest. Not. This fits neatly into the file of; " I backed out to 1200 yards because 300 was too easy with my tacticool super-magnum..."
No doubt your buddy can shoot. My contention is that the energy is no where near what I and most well regarded "authorities" would consider anywhere near adequate for consistently humane kills on animals as hardy as elk.

The difference is, most people aren't in the woods or mountains to see all the wounded animals after rifle season ends.
First off, studies have been done that show archery hunters wound much more game.
Second, go to any facebook hunting group right now and there are multiple topics on wounded animals. You dont see this in rifle season. Anecdotal I realise, but still its there.

Ahhh, the 400ish foot pounds of energy completely changes the likeliness of a humane harvest. Not. This fits neatly into the file of; " I backed out to 1200 yards because 300 was too easy with my tacticool super-magnum..."
No doubt your buddy can shoot. My contention is that the energy is no where near what I and most well regarded "authorities" would consider anywhere near adequate for consistently humane kills on animals as hardy as elk.
it's there. Isnt the issue so much as hitting the animal in the vitals. Lots can go wrong when your shooting 1200 yards.

well I’ll just sit back and wait for all the meat in the freezer and the racks on the wall to just get up and walk back into the woods.

his recovery was about 30 yards....seems pretty “humane”.

Shot placement trumps all else.

If you get out there and put in the amount of practice most of these handgun hunters do you may surprise yourself....

I've shot two 100 lb plus whitetails with a .357 at less than 30 yards.
158 grain, jacketed hollow point
muzzle energy: 763 ft lbs
100 yards: 504 ft lbs
Double lunged both animals. I was not impressed with the blood trail or the, seemingly, lack of kinetic energy transferred to the animal.

A .357, hot hand load or factory load for elk is a marginal load at best....

Yes, it can be done, but why would I drive my car up the mountain, when I can drive my 4 wheel drive truck?

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

Last edited:
Handguns are never going to yield the massive disruption of soft tissue we expect from a rifle. The bullets aren't traveling fast enough. But guys killed deer and elk with soft round balls out of smooth bore muzzleloaders for ages. Handguns are not marginal in the right hands. And I'd be willing to bet a hot loaded hardcast from a .357 will do better on heavy bone at 50 yards than most cup and core rifle bullets.

elmer-keith-03.jpg

If you know who this is, then I imagine you know what your handgun can do....

I’ve smacked a few big game animals with a handgun. They don’t kill anything like a rifle, more akin to a bow kill IME. My thoughts are, if a guy picks up a handgun to hunt with, his skill set is advanced. He knows his and his weapons capabilities. It’s not done haphazardly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back