MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Do You Hunt With An Empty Pack Just In Case?

emrah1028

I guess this is a question for backpacking/western hunters, but I'm curious how you hunt with your packs during the hunt (before you've shot anything). How full are your packs? I ask because I see Randy and other tv hunters hunting with huge packs and they look full. So what do you do when you shoot something? Go back to the truck or camp, unload everything, then go back for the animal to begin butchering it?

Emrah

My pack may look full at times, but its really not. An extra jacket or something may "puff" the pack up some. The only reason I always hunt w/ (insert pack's name here, Stone Glacier, EXO, MR, etc...) is so that I can pack out at least 1 quarter on the first trip out.

I put game bags, knives, water, basic survival stuff and possibly some extra clothes in my pack. After the kill (lets use elk), I bone out the meat and bag it, or lay it in the snow (depending on conditions). I take the back straps, tenderloins and whatever other meat that I have room for out on the first trip. I then empty whatever I don't need from the pack and go back however many times I need to in order to finish the pack out.

If there is snow and the country allows it, a plastic sled easily can bring out the rest of the meat in one trip.

I used to hunt with a day pack and then go back and get the frame pack. Hunting with the frame pack cut off one tough trip.

At times on LONG walk hunts we will take the game cart out with us , JUST in case. Stash it in a hole/ditch someplace where we HAVE to back through.:hump:

Tho my pack may look full or large for hunting,I hate not having what I need with me.
1st aid/survival bag,game bags,knives/sharpeners,poncho/rain gear,food ,water/filter,headlamp,etc...it does add up.
But not having it doesn't,IMHO. And an undersized,empty pack is just that.

That's why I really like a load shelf.

You don't have to take stuff out of your pack and rearrange it, just expand out the load shelf, throw in some meat (in a bag of course) and cinch it back up and haul it.

Only limitation is how much weight you are willing to carry.

That's why I really like a load shelf.

You don't have to take stuff out of your pack and rearrange it, just expand out the load shelf, throw in some meat (in a bag of course) and cinch it back up and haul it.

Only limitation is how much weight you are willing to carry.

^this.

I have the Crewcab, Longbow, and Metcalf bags for my NICE frame, and with any of them you can either expand (Crewcab) or load meat between the bag and the frame (longbow and Metcalf).

This is a pic of my Longbow (2300 CI) loaded with 3 quarters and the back straps of a mule deer, all my gear from the day hunt (in the main bag), plus some of ewludwig's clothes (as he had his whole deer in his pack).
My pack.jpg

^this.

I have the Crewcab, Longbow, and Metcalf bags for my NICE frame, and with any of them you can either expand (Crewcab) or load meat between the bag and the frame (longbow and Metcalf).

This is a pic of my Longbow (2300 CI) loaded with 3 quarters and the back straps of a mule deer, all my gear from the day hunt (in the main bag), plus some of ewludwig's clothes (as he had his whole deer in his pack).
View attachment 48804

This....a pack that can't carry anything comfortably is like not having a pack!

Here's an example of mine.

With a full pack and all my gear and a load of meat going out on the first trip.

nathan_m_packout.jpg

With my pack mostly unloaded going out with the 2nd load.

nathan_m_packout2.jpg

Notice how flat the pack is in the 2nd picture compared to the first?

Not full - water, food, 1st aid, game bags, knife & sharpener, xtra layer? .
water gets drank, food consumed, game bags fill up and the knife gets bloody.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back