Yeti GOBOX Collection

Do you Hunt from a ground blind?

Have only used them over water in the west for elk and pronghorns. Considering using for eastern whitetails during the rut. Wondering if I can get away with moving the blind to stay more mobile and in areas without good treestand sites. Will the blind scare of the deer this time of year?

Have only used them over water in the west for elk and pronghorns. Considering using for eastern whitetails during the rut. Wondering if I can get away with moving the blind to stay more mobile and in areas without good treestand sites. Will the blind scare of the deer this time of year?
Nah, I have moved and set up blinds from one morning to the evening of the same day and taken deer that same evening.

Not for me. I'm a stalker. Have to be roaming. If all that was available was sitting in a blind or tree stand, I'd probably take up sitting in a bar instead. At least I see more game there (though I haven't bagged anything in thirty years and most animals available for my age group aren't trophies). If there's nothing moving I can always drink the bait.

Last edited:
I set out 2 pop-ups this year, but never stepped into one. Much prefer tree stands or natural cover.

I only archery hunt and in past years it just seemed like deer seemed to hang up at 50+ yds from the blinds even though they had been out for 3 months.

I hunted from them when I lived in TX and OK. Took two bucks and a doe over the years from fixed blinds setting up on feeders (TX), a style of hunting that just isn't for me. Started carrying a pop-up blind on public land in OK. Got me close to some but I didn't have an open shot.

Now in AZ, I still own that pop-up but I don't think I'll ever use it here. I can't still that long!
I can't confine myself to such a small enclosure, I would
rather be free-roaming thru the desert or forest. 💥

I always feel like I’m missing what’s moving behind me, or if I open all of the windows then I don’t feel covered. I prefer to make brush blinds or find something in the area to “blend into” that gives me better viewing, with rare exception. They are good for youngsters, though

I have used ground blinds a ton over the years, for myself and those I've guided on mentored hunts. They can work great, if brushed in well and made of softer, less shiny material (usually the higher priced ones unfortunately) then they can be used to them in just one day, and often can even be hunted from that day. Closer bow shots seem to need more time to get them used to it but only a few days, in my experience.

I am moving much more now to what I'm whimsically calling wikiups, after the brush houses Apaches and others build, just my goofy name for a thick, somewhat woven together pile of brush, which I think line on the inside with a camo cloth or the ghilie blanket my kids and I are sewing up out of old camo clothes and sheets. Total time consumer and not any better, I just like it.

l hunt from one almost exclusively now, I'm in the East woods. I can't get out and still hunt like I used to do to health issues (COPD). Hunting from a blind where I can get my sideby side to about a quarter of a mile away on the ridge. Allowes me to continue to hunt.

Jeff

I will be this year. The area I like to hunt antelope in has issues with EHD, drought and population counts are way down so I am doing meateater hunts on base using a blind and my bow. I am applying for extra leftovers if available and those will be rifle in my old area for the November timeframe which is pretty easy hunt since they herd up into pretty massive herds then.

I have used both the pop up style and homemade burlap with stake and shot deer from both but my prference is a folding stool with my back to a tree where I can see 360 degrees. I have shot many deer this way. There is a time and place for each and I enjoy them all.

I've hunted from quite a few ground blinds ranging from Lincoln Log set ups to a hay ring in a cow pasture and sever pop up blind set ups.

What I've found helps most is to get it set up EARLY, like a few days before you are going to hunt it regardless of type. I've hunted deer, squirrels, turkey and beavers from them. Never killed a beaver from one and that still surprises me.

I will be this year on FE Warren. I am doing a meat hunt for antelope this year and avoiding my regular area until the conditions with EHD and drought improve some. I will have pictures once I am set up and knock the first ones down. Last time I did a blind at FE Warren I got the first one an hour after sunrise and filled two doe tags before November.

I’ve used just about everything, except for saddles. Blinds certainly have their place. Sure you can get lucky, but for big deer, I think they need some time to marinate for a while, be really brushed in, or both. View from a double bull and a natural blind.
B75E838E-BC2D-4CEB-B557-4B6F8A3E980F.jpeg2FAA1E11-5629-4879-849A-9E6F56F54F0A.jpeg

Back