Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Do you have an inner monologue?

Do you have a inner monologue?

• Yes

Votes: 71 87.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 12.3%

• Total voters
I am not sure it is possible to critically think without one. How else do you synthesize multiple streams of information into coherent thoughts of your own?

Best way I could think to explain it is in the same way that your inner monologue has no preceding synthesis you are aware of - a monologue preceding the inner monologue that develops the sentences you hear - folks who don't have inner monologues thoughts work similarly.

One of the cruxes here is that of a voice in your brain. Most definitions of an inner monologue define it as such. I compare thoughts all the time, but it's just information exchange happening at a rate that I think is faster than spoken or imagined word - there is no inner voice, and it doesn't seem like one is required for multiple streams of information to bounce off of one another. I don't say it in a boastful way, but comparing many different streams of information into something coherent via a conversation in my head seems like a very inefficient way to do it. If I sit here right now and try to have a conversation with myself in my brain - really try to perceive hearing a conversation that only exists up there - it's actually very hard, and kind of feels like swimming against a current mentally.

Best way I could think to explain it is in the same way that your inner monologue has no preceding synthesis you are aware of - a monologue preceding the inner monologue that develops the sentences you hear - folks who don't have inner monologues thoughts work similarly.

One of the cruxes here is that of a voice in your brain. Most definitions of an inner monologue define it as such. I compare thoughts all the time, but it's just information exchange happening at a rate that I think is faster than spoken or imagined word - there is no inner voice, and it doesn't seem like one is required for multiple streams of information to bounce off of one another. I don't say it in a boastful way, but comparing many different streams of information into something coherent via a conversation in my head seems like a very inefficient way to do it. If I sit here right now and try to have a conversation with myself in my brain - really try to perceive hearing a conversation that only exists up there - it's actually very hard, and kind of feels like swimming against a current mentally.

what kind of personality type are you/do you consider yourself? myers briggs or whatever. type a? not type a?

there's gotta be some trends here.

what kind of personality type are you/do you consider yourself? myers briggs or whatever. type a? not type a?

there's gotta be some trends here.

This thread sent me down an internet rabbit hole yesterday, and I came across this study:

"Results revealed that anxiety and impulsivity were mainly related to the frequency of the affective function of inner speech (self-criticism and self-reinforcement) and executive functions and complex reasoning were mainly related to the frequency of the cognitive, self-regulatory function of inner speech (self-management)."

Ultimately, I think it is interesting how we perceive our brains to be working. Maybe folks who don't have an inner monologue actually do have an inner monologue occurring all the time but never developed the observational tools to detect it. Brains are mysterious.

This thread sent me down an internet rabbit hole yesterday, and I came across this study:

"Results revealed that anxiety and impulsivity were mainly related to the frequency of the affective function of inner speech (self-criticism and self-reinforcement) and executive functions and complex reasoning were mainly related to the frequency of the cognitive, self-regulatory function of inner speech (self-management)."

Ultimately, I think it is interesting how we perceive our brains to be working. Maybe folks who don't have an inner monologue actually do have an inner monologue occurring all the time but never developed the observational tools to detect it. Brains are mysterious.

interesting associations.

makes you wonder if they are inherently self criticism and self reinforcement, or if there they are already stressed and therefore critical of themselves or if they are stressed because they're critical of themselves.

the study might have tried to address that.

i know i tend to be stressed and my inner monologue is pretty critical. chicken or the egg though 🤷‍♂️

like you said, brains are very mysterious.

Had an older guy that worked for me for a while, would walk around mumbling to himself all day. I finally asked him how that non-so-inner monologue was going and he just remarked that sometimes, in order to have an intelligent conversation, he was forced to talk to himself.
Reminds me of that scene in Braveheart where the crazy Irish fella says "In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God." 🤣

Or,

"For I was talking to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to. -Gandalf”​

When I ask myself if I have an inner monologue, all I hear is Robert Deniro’s voice asking if I am talking to me, are you fn talking to me, followed by Keanu Reeves voice saying-people keep asking me if I have an inner voice and up until now I didn’t have an answer but ya, I am thinking I have an inner voice. So ya, I guess I have an inner monologue but it may be a little excentric.

I would assume there is a variety on the types of inner monologue. Reading the article in the OP the conversation type inner monologue does not fit for me. Its not like a TV narration. I hear my thoughts but it is definitely not a conversation, more like a stream of thoughts. But I do hear them when thinking through issues/processes. And it is not other voices, just me.

Also, is this thread getting influenced somehow? This meme popped up on my Instagram:

Screenshot 2024-03-20 163011.png

That is really interesting. For me it is almost the opposite. I am sure there are many ways in which our brains work differently.

I know some of us have exposure to philosophy in college or our own personal interest. I think we’re all talking about Freud’s superego. Separate from id and ego, the superego is unconscious moral underpinnings which direct the ego. We all have a standard of values by which we conduct ourselves and interpret actions of others. Our inner monologue is consultation with the superego.

Had an older guy that worked for me for a while, would walk around mumbling to himself all day. I finally asked him how that non-so-inner monologue was going and he just remarked that sometimes, in order to have an intelligent conversation, he was forced to talk to himself.

And you were the guy who was near him when he was mumbling? 🤔

Do sexual fantasies count as inner monolog, or would that be more of an inner dialog?

I do have an inner monologue. Although it seems to have various forms. Sometimes it seems to be in the form of good conscience or God's Holy Spirit leading me into what is right and good and at other times it can be an a nasty critic berating my flaws.

Inner monologue meaning I talk to myself? Absolutely not. No time for that. That or I am in tune with my inner self and no conversation is needed. Just get $)it done before the day runs out. I do plenty of constructive thinking but tend to just try to use my instincts and fly by the seat of my pants.

I find people who talk to themselves strange, especially when it's out loud.

Back