Caribou Gear Tarp

Do you have an inner monologue?

Do you have a inner monologue?

• Yes

Votes: 71 87.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 12.3%

• Total voters
Had an older guy that worked for me for a while, would walk around mumbling to himself all day. I finally asked him how that non-so-inner monologue was going and he just remarked that sometimes, in order to have an intelligent conversation, he was forced to talk to himself.
Reminds me of that scene in Braveheart where the crazy Irish fella says "In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God." 🤣

Sometimes my inner voice is my best friend and tutor. Giving me great clarity of thought and insight into the ways of the universe. Other times it's like a nagging wife telling me to get off my lazy ass, quit daydreaming and get to work!

My theory is that the people denying their internal monologue either a) think its going to get them labeled as mentally ill or b) don't know what the word monologue means

It's an interesting theory. I responded "No". I've thought about this a fair amount and the best way I can describe how I think I think is as a single sponge - it's either absorbing or discharging - not exchanging with itself. I am capable of generating an inner monologue - for example when I am debating someone and am trying to predict a possible array of responses to what I am saying - but I have to try really hard, and think I go days without having one.

It's an interesting theory. I responded "No". I've thought about this a fair amount and the best way I can describe how I think I think is as a single sponge - it's either absorbing or discharging - not exchanging with itself. I am capable of generating an inner monologue - for example when I am debating someone and am trying to predict a possible array of responses to what I am saying - but I have to try really hard, and think I go days without having one.
So you're sitting on a glassing knob, looking out over some elk and mule deer. You don't have any thoughts running through your head?

It’s not wether I have one, it’s more like what accent does that inner voice have today?!!

So you're sitting on a glassing knob, looking out over some elk and mule deer. You don't have any thoughts running through your head?

I don't think so. Information is coming in, and certainly thoughts are happening, but I am not hearing my own voice play out phrases or conversations in my mind. That just never happens. The closest I can come to it happening is when I write, reread what I wrote, and edit it.

I suppose one's definition of what is or isn't an inner monologue might be the issue.

i've heard about how some people can't form images in their brain, i never understood it, but understand it's something psychologists are studying.

i have intense inner monologue. the looking over deer thing while glassing is interesting - if i'm glassing alone i'm talking to myself out loud, a lot, not just in my head.

sometimes i'll be walking back from the bathroom to my office at work and having some bumbling conversation with myself and i'll finally sit down and have an "oh shit was i just saying any of that out loud?" moment

i'm $*)Q!#@$ crazy man

Yes. Jesus the guy never shuts up.
This in spades. It's like he doesn't even need to take a breath. The bastard skips words too, which makes it harder to understand; he's the biggest flip flopper I know; he's also, and this is paramount, a giant asshole. He's neurotic as hell, incredibly insecure, and is prone to practicing conversations with others that will never happen, all while I'm trying to read about some coefficient of elasticity calculation.

i've heard about how some people can't form images in their brain, i never understood it, but understand it's something psychologists are studying.

i have intense inner monologue. the looking over deer thing while glassing is interesting - if i'm glassing alone i'm talking to myself out loud, a lot, not just in my head.

sometimes i'll be walking back from the bathroom to my office at work and having some bumbling conversation with myself and i'll finally sit down and have an "oh shit was i just saying any of that out loud?" moment

i'm $*)Q!#@$ crazy man
People in our office are constantly, "Are you talking to me?" "No... sorry."

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back