Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Do you carry a pistol for bear when elk hunting???

I can guarantee that anyone who grabs their spray will not stop the barrel.
They get to use a dummy spray, but have to wait until the “bear” crosses the cloud then they can get out the way. This is giving me an idea - Hunt talk Olympics.

Anyone ever hear of the gag trick? A friend of mine was attacked south of Bozeman, only option he had was stick his fist down the bears throat to gag her. His uncle had a pistol but couldn't shoot with the bear being right on top of him so he emptied the can on her and she ran off.

At some bear spray giveaway events they have this as an example for people using dummy spray cans:

just kidding, you're good. I was mostly kidding about a list of people...
LMAO!!! I just scared the dog and damn near shot my jack out my nose laughing!!! Oh damn that burns!!!

I'm equally joyed with the fact that I'm usually on a list that I made the cut of not getting the blank rounds!!!

I tested a canister of bear spray this week. I was surprised how much the 5 mph wind influenced the stream of propellant. Also, if you happen to spray upwind the cloud of pepper is blowing right back in your face.

Under extreme duress I am unlikely to do anything useful to defend against an attacking grizzly. This is due to the speed of the animal as much as my potential involuntary freeze or panic reaction. 90% of my strategy is being bear aware and avoiding close encounters in the first place.

The other 10% I try to keep as simple as possible. DOA compact revolver in an open top chest holster. Draw, point, squeeze. I wear the holster at all times when I'm awake and at night I sleep with the handgun.

The rifle is useful defense as well, but I set it down in camp, when I'm glassing, or when dressing a carcass. It's an extra second to pick it up in a scenario where fractions of a second matter. I practice shooting scoped rifles at point blank ranges without looking through the eyepiece, which I find to be a useful skill.

YMMV

In your sleeping bag? To help you stay warm? :ROFLMAO:
Girlfriend's
You’re on the list of the people to sit with me and watch this unfold hilariously
That's gonna be like second hand lions or the two old guys on the Muppets. I'm also having Dodgeball sports announcing flashes in my head. There's gonna be more bleeps than an episode of Fresh Tracks with Uncle Larry. Poor Mrs.@bigfin. She's gonna be busy.

Last edited:
The bears ass.
Sorry for the late response, I was on a fishing trip...

I would pay good money to watch you try to finagle a Nalgene up a bears ass, a boiling one at that :ROFLMAO:

I'm picturing you with oven mits on trying not to burn your hands while your cougar is a little further away yelling "STOP IT, YOU'RE GOING TO GET HURT"

If weight is a consideration and I have to do lots of hiking - I won't.
I'd prefer to always have one - but when I'm counting ounces 2lbs of pistol I'm realistically not going to use will often take the cut.

I carry one anytime I'm In the woods. What's your life worth to you? I'd recommend a good chest holster. Very accessible and comfortable. Even if not carrying a huge revolver. If no gun yet I'd look into a glock 20 and Buffalo bore hardcast.

Important you carry hardcast or solid copper bullets intended for many feet of penetration. I have no intentions of screwing around with any bears or mountain lions or lowlife humans in the woods.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back