Yeti GOBOX Collection

Do you carry a handgun as a backup when hunting?

Do you carry a handgun as a backup when hunting?

• Yes. .45 ACP

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Yes. .44 Magnum

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Yes. .41 Magnum

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Yes. .50 Cal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. 10mm

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Yes. Other

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • No.

Votes: 44 45.8%

• Total voters

A207X2

I've carried a 1911 in .45 ACP as a backup when out hunting as well as fishing down here in FL. Recently I've switched over to a 10mm. I'm curious to know how many of you carry a backup when hunting.

I carry a .357 Mag Ruger here at home while hunting. Killed several deer, yotes, and other vermin. Cheaper than a rifle round and is good deer medicine at close range.

Yes, 44 Mag Super Redhawk. If game is extremely close, I have used that. Plus, additional support if need be.

I carried my 45 colt last year archery hunting western Wyoming for elk on the edge of grizzly country, but that’s the only time I’ve carried while hunting out west. I made a homemade chest rig that attaches to my Bino harness, it really wasn’t in the way and I could shoot just fine with it on (not that it mattered since I suck at archery hunting elk!)

Around my normal hunting grounds in south Texas I carry my 45acp at all times day and night - we’re close to the Mexican border and in a pretty heavily used smuggling corridor. Pretty much every person down here carries all the time; the border situation ain’t the greatest right now. Ymmv

45 colt or 357 mag. First two rounds are snake shot. The rest are usually Hornady xtp handloads.

I carry a handgun when hunting out west in case of bears or cats and when bow hunting early season in the midwest and south for snakes.

The 1st question that popped in my mind was....WHY?

I'm not going to schuck my rifle in any defensive situation, whatever that may be.

I'm not going to pop off a .22 at a small critter when I have a $200-$1000 tag in my pocket and announce my presence to that $200-$1000 tag.

In my thinking, it's just extra weight for little to no reason.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back