Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Do Remington rifles deserve a premium now?

jeff_gibbons

I've been looking at buying a 280 Rem and noticed that Remington 700's appear to be commanding a price premium now that the company is folding up. What do you think? Is the premium worth it?

Supply and demand. Wait a few months and the price will go back down.

The only reason there is currently a price premium is because the factory was shut down in March by the lovely governor of NY (15 days to flatten the curve, you know). Then they reopened for a bit, then shut down in late September when they were sold. The new owners got their FFL sorted out early this year. The factory is supposed to start producing guns again on March 1st. Zero supply for 5 months and there is still demand, so the [relatively] free market drives up the price.

What I have learned the hard way, is buying anything fairly newer might be a shot in the dark. My 2019 sendero experience has not been good. Should have researched first. The older 700's I have bought are shooters. Some just needed some tweaking. I noticed that Marlins have jumped in value right now as well. Both will rise again, probably under different names and the jury will speak to the quality.

IMO nope. Ive been looking for an action for a build but haven’t found anything I want/need that bad to pay the prices some are asking.

It is amazing what they're going for. Old 760's and 7600's are selling for 1000+ dollars on Gun Broker. I just sold an 870 wingmaster on there and did pretty well.
I hope their classic rifles and shotguns will be back in production soon and that they'll be of better quality. I like the world better with Remington in it.

I watch them from time to time and have been watching pretty intently the last few months. I've noticed the prices have come down a little, but are at least 15-20% up over a year ago, some are just stupidly overpriced, 2x the price of a year ago. I think the will come back down a little for the lower models assuming they start making them again. I missed out on a couple deals, one I'll cry about for a while... a older blued mountain rifle in good shape chambered in 243win for $600. Saw it, thought to long and called the next day and it was gone. :(

I think they are decent rifle for the price, and can be tuned up easy enough. I'll buy more of them if I can find what I'm looking for.

The only new rifle I would buy right now is one for which I have a bountiful supply of cartridges and components at home. No sense joining the mighty gaggle of scavengers lining up outside the gun store for slim pickins’.

Older model 700 mountain rifles, sevens, and 700 BDLs were better quality guns re: fit finish, wood, bluing. Worth in my view a premium over the newer ones, say 2010 on. I would not spend over a sale price on a newer one, and wouldnt rule out paying over new price for the right Rem from the 80’s and 90’s and early 00’s.

Last edited:
I am the wrong guy to ask. I only buy guns now that I feel have true superior qualities or for a specific purpose. But buy what you like. I have two Remingtons, one 20 yr old 700 BDL in 300WM. Terrific shooter. The other is the ugliest, worst cycling POS ever made but it shoots better than 1” MOA. The notorious 710. Still have it. But it is also an important gun because it started the whole race to the bottom price and allowed many to buy hunting guns and start hunting. It’s my triple back up leave at the cabin gun. Personally nothing they make know sparks my interest. Just a gun.

Last edited:
I got a Cherry condition .270 Rem 700 BDL that has 2 box magazines with it that I might just have to sell.

Anyone who pays $1000 for a gamemaster 760 or 7600 is a fool.... There are hundreds of them in pawn shops across west Virginia for a fraction of that.

Supply and demand. Wait a few months and the price will go back down.

The only reason there is currently a price premium is because the factory was shut down in March by the lovely governor of NY (15 days to flatten the curve, you know). Then they reopened for a bit, then shut down in late September when they were sold. The new owners got their FFL sorted out early this year. The factory is supposed to start producing guns again on March 1st. Zero supply for 5 months and there is still demand, so the [relatively] free market drives up the price.
Agree. Thats my feeling on this. It's a bubble around the fact that the company closed.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back