Do it all Rifle?

Hooligan

Is an out of the box production rifle capable of being a real workhorse, "do it all"

'Yotes to Sheep, Goats and Deer to Elk and everyting in betwwen.

Light, accurate, dependable.

Or is this an order for a "custom" rifle

M70 FWT, 700mtn, or Kimber Montana chambered in 7RM, 280rem or 30-06.

If custom, take a 700 action, original Ti stock, #2 or #3 twist from Brux or Rock Creek and finish at 23-24" and you can be in it for under 1000 or a touch more if you get the action trued.

Yes out the box production rifles can do that! I've got a friend that's taken 1/2 a sheep slam, mtn goat, moose, elk, mule deer, brown bear, wolves, well you get the idea, all with a bone stock Winchester 70 in 300 WSM. It all depends if you can find all the attributes you want in an off the rack rifle. Most can.

I think you hit it on the head. Finding it all in one package is a task. I hunted with a lever action Winchester 88 as a kid, moved into a Browning A bolt, didnt like the way it felt, got a Thompson Encore but it was too heavy, went Weatherby this year and am not content with the bolt throw and action.....JEEZ I sound like danged Golidilocks...LOL

Handled my first Kimber 84L last night...not bad, but not exactly what I am looking for. I want to buy one last Rifle, and it be my "hunting wife"

Buy another 88. I've got two that I hunt with--both in .308. One has a 4X Leupold the other a
6X...old school hunting. I sold one in .358 not to long ago. I wish I had one in .284.

I think you hit it on the head. Finding it all in one package is a task. I hunted with a lever action Winchester 88 as a kid, moved into a Browning A bolt, didnt like the way it felt, got a Thompson Encore but it was too heavy, went Weatherby this year and am not content with the bolt throw and action.....JEEZ I sound like danged Golidilocks...LOL

Handled my first Kimber 84L last night...not bad, but not exactly what I am looking for. I want to buy one last Rifle, and it be my "hunting wife"

Did you give that Kimber away yet? I take it I didn't win

Not yet....Drawing is Sunday. I think you have a pretty good chance Chris! Tickets sales are light this year.

Gundog, I still have my 88. .308 iron sights now. I took the weaver 4x off it years ago. My Grandada bought it new back when Sears sold guns. Its an heirloom piece now.

I have that same M70 with a few alterations. Had a custom trigger put in, bedded the action and floated the barrel.. 1/2MOA at a 100. Me personally I can never expect better than that. I do not shoot all that much to expect anything more that that. I have it topped with a Zeiss 4-12 and thats all the gun ill ever need and want. After many its the first gun I ever loved. Had the Kimber Montana....dont have it anymore

books

I would start my search with finding the right caliber, after you figure that out the platform is easy.

Unless you want to hunt grizz, my vote would go to the 308 or 30-06. Cheap to practice with, tons of options for factory loaded rounds, rounds available at just about any gas station or bait shop, easy recoil.

If ammo availability/cost/recoil is not an issue I would look at the 300 WSM or 300 WM. I think the 30 calibers offer the widest range in bullet weights, and unless you are looking to sell pelts who cares if you shoot a coyote with a .308.

As far as rifles go. I really like my Tikka T3 stainless lite, Kimber 84L Select, and Weatherby MK5 Accumark. They all perform pretty much the same (1 MOA or less), but the T3 is the lightest of the three.

Unless you want to hunt grizz, my vote would go to the 308 or 30-06.

What caliber would be best for grizz? :rolleyes:

I have a gammut of rifles in more calibers than I can shoot in a year. My go to rifle is a SS M70 in 325wsm. I'm thinking of off loading a bunch of rifles and picking up a Kimber "sheep" rifle in 7-08 and call it good from here on out. When I finally go on my elephant hunt, I'll buy a rifle for that, other wise, I'd be content with the two mentioned above for anyhing. New rifles are fun, but like a new girlfriend the 'fun' soon wears out.

Not yet....Drawing is Sunday. I think you have a pretty good chance Chris! Tickets sales are light this year.

Woot Woot! I thought maybe it was last night.

Our archery program keeps picking up new kids every Wednesday night. I have to buy another mini Genesis this evening. Great problem to have.

I love my Tikka T3 Lite .300 WSM. I have shot coyotes, caribou, AK moose, black bear, mule deer, mt. goat, and elk with it. No problems with putting an animal down. I shoot the federal premium 180 gr. trophy bonded tip.

I think my Ruger M77 mk II, all weather, chambered in 7mm Rem. Mag. fits that bill, though it's a shade on the heavy side. I bought it new when I was 15, put a butler creek sling on it, and it has been reliable ever since. I just recently bought some Burris glass to replace the Tasco. (and before you make fun of the Tasco, that thing held zero for 16 years!)

Woot Woot! I thought maybe it was last night.

Our archery program keeps picking up new kids every Wednesday night. I have to buy another mini Genesis this evening. Great problem to have.

That is a hard thing to complain about for sure! Our archery event this weekend should have about 200 kids go through it in the time we will be there

I just picked up the 2nd half of our gun order, and that Kimber is NICE. It is a .270 win, not a Short mag like we thought....if that changes things for you, just let me know. I can sub your tickets for something else.

I think my Ruger M77 mk II, all weather, chambered in 7mm Rem. Mag. fits that bill, though it's a shade on the heavy side. I bought it new when I was 15, put a butler creek sling on it, and it has been reliable ever since. I just recently bought some Burris glass to replace the Tasco. (and before you make fun of the Tasco, that thing held zero for 16 years!)

Never would. I have had a Tasco world clas 3-9 x 50 on my .300 WIN MAG Thompson for years, and its always dead on. Except that I had to mount it with 2 sets of rings. That Encore kills from both ends.

I was going to suggest a Kimber 84L but it appears they don't meet your need. I just bought one in 280AI. To me, it's a sweet set-up.

Back