Do it all Rifle?

I was going to suggest a Kimber 84L but it appears they don't meet your need. I just bought one in 280AI. To me, it's a sweet set-up.

It meets the need fine, but maybe I need to look at the 84M or Mountain Ascent. I am just being super picky this time around

Hooligan, have you looked at the Sako Tecomate or Sako 85 Finnlight? Both seem like great rifles, a little spendy, but if you're looking for one rifle for always & everything I'd take a look at them. I was getting real close to talking myself into the Finnlight, but then got a great deal on a Tecomate.

If your plan is to shoot one rifle for everything, for the rest of your hunting life, spend the extra money and get a custom rifle. Then you get exactly what you want. I'd go with a .308 caliber something, stainless/synthetic, spend as much on the optics as you do on the rifle and you will be a happy man.

the Tasco. (and before you make fun of the Tasco, that thing held zero for 16 years!)

My 30-06 has a 4x fixed power Tasco on it, and it's held a 100 yard zero for 23 years. I've never moved it a click, and I've hunted with it at least 3 and up to 15 days every season since I was 12.

I have a 270 WSM Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA (it's a Howa action with a nice stock). I bought the gun as a do-it-all gun. Not much recoil and enough power for almost anything. The other rifle caliber I really like is a. 280AI. I think these two guns are a great balance between recoil and knochdown power. JMO

I'm in the process of building a .280 as my go to gun in order to begin thinning out my arsenal. While Remington shot itself in the foot with the introduction of this caliber it has languished in the shadows for many years while the .270 and 7mm mag shared center stage, but it has been recognized by many for it's attributes and should be around for a good while. The AI conversion just doesn't offer enough advantage over the parent caliber to interest me. If I wanted just a little more I'd go for the 7mm mag.

One person's opinion.

I have a 270 WSM Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA (it's a Howa action with a nice stock). I bought the gun as a do-it-all gun. Not much recoil and enough power for almost anything. The other rifle caliber I really like is a. 280AI. I think these two guns are a great balance between recoil and knochdown power. JMO

Thats the Weatherby I have now in .300 win mag. I LOVE the trigger, the action travel is smooth, but the bolt and throw is chunky IMO Plus its about 2 pounds heavier than I would like. Shoots great with my Leupold VX 2 4-12 x 40AO. Like I said, I am being uber picky

Hooligan, have you looked at the Sako Tecomate or Sako 85 Finnlight? Both seem like great rifles, a little spendy, but if you're looking for one rifle for always & everything I'd take a look at them. I was getting real close to talking myself into the Finnlight, but then got a great deal on a Tecomate.

On my list to look at. Also the Nosler Custom Rifle, Kimber Mountain Ascent and Montana. After I looked over the 84L I have in my temporary posession I am really liking the Kimbers

I'd recommend the Savage 11/111 in 30-06. This is a fine american made rifle. Best trigger on the market. It will not disappoint and it will cost you much less than a custom.

A guy could find an old sporterized '03 springfield or a mauser and it would work just fine.

Bambi Stew--I shot one grizzly bear with my old 7mm Weatherby (160-gr. Nosler Partition) and was in on the kill of three Alaskan brown bears--all the latter with my .338 Win. Magnum built on a Sako action and Lilja barrel--250-gr. Nosler Partitions. No complaints. If I had to use a single cartridge for ALL North American big game it would be the .338, although I own a dozen rifles chambered for everything from the .222 Rem. to the .375 H & H. If I never hunted outside of Montana I'd use a .270, .280, 7 X 57 or .30/06.

Game must be tougher these days, I don't recall everything having to be shot with a magnum a few decades ago to put it down. I have a 280 and 7-08. The 280 is for sure an overlooked caliber because it didn't gain notoriety, but it will put down about anything you want it to in north america. I've always been more of a fan of the 284 caliber just because of the higher BC. Make sure it's something you can practice with though on the range consistently without busting your shoulder or flinching at the recoil. More practice at making the kill shot will overcome any speculation of just because it's a magnum it will kill whatever your shooting.

As a few have mentioned before, my vote is the 270 WSM. I have a few rifles in this caliber, but a few months ago picked up a Win 70 classic Extreme Sporter. A nice light rifle with a standard contour fluted barrel, and aluminum bedded stock. Took a while to find the right load, but it will spit out Nosler Accubonds into 1/2 MOA groups so far out to 500 yards. Short of Grizz, I think it will handle everything in North America and is very comfortable to carry and shoot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back