DIY Winter home remodel pics

"Several years ago I lost my nutz and the woman put in a longarm quilting machine and a 12 ft drapery table in our living room."

Dink, any idea where you dropped *them*? I feel your pain.....

"Do you guys think the gas fireplaces are efficient?"

depends on what you are wanting to use them for. and, how close they are to the thermostat in the house. get a brand that has the blower on it, and you can heat some smaller spaces. but it will change the heat in other rooms.

nice job guys. Dink, did you get the mounts from Fins' wife during her last give-away? didn't see any lope mounts, so maybe not.

I tore up the carpet and had my first try at tile floor. I am happy with the way it turned out. I had a good teacher, my uncle helped me lay it out and get started and helped me do the cutting. LIL

Attachments

• tile.jpg
    tile.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 229
I like my gas model in the basement. I wish I would have stepped up to a little nicer unit though, as the cheaper ones just dont have as nice of a flame and log look. But it takes out a chill and adds some mood. My wood place in the living room is a POS that just sucks heat out of the room so I burn wood in it only a few times a year.

Too bad about your fireplace. We have a house built in '51 and has a heatilator fireplace. Double wall with fans to blow heat into room and a very good door that seals up well after you shut it down. Just never have time to use it that much unless during winter weekends if both of us home.

Be careful with the premixed thin set and mortar. It is not water proof. If it gets wet is just turns to sand and all of your tile comes up. I discovered this when my dishwasher leaked. Then I made her clean up the mess and retile the kitchen.;)

The project is done. It was completed on time and under budget.

I'm looking forward to having some fun now.
How it looked in February.
picture.php

And now.

picture.php

Last edited:
As a residential contractor i can assure you that ''Under budget'' never happens. And on time is directly connected to how much ''Help'' the homeowner provides. Great job ,i like the accent color in your built-ins.

We have direct vent gas FP's in the gathering room and media room (realtor terminology)...like em much more as compared to the wood burner we had at our previous home.

NH, is that "gathering room" only used following funerals? They need to change their terminology; I think here it's still called a "great room", but I've been out of the home buying loop for some time, so it could be called anything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back